Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

Dirty

Re: Baby Bream....13/7/06 SLAUGHTER

Yeah well, I have no hard feelings...everyone is entitled to thier opinions... I know myself that If it was me fishing alone, it would be a different story. Although I know I was taking another person who was excited about catching fish, so for him it was great!

Maybe I wouldn't have taken the just legals and maybe I wouldn't have taken as many of them. Maybe the title of my post is a little far fetched...but it was good relaxing and exciting fun...I enjoyed myself, and yes bigger sizes would be ideal, but when you get told to bring something back...thats what I intended to within the legal limits. I like the idea of upping the size limit of these species because they are by far the most easily targeted fish, in my opinion anyway. I guess just because thier are no set rules, I should make my own, like a few of my mates do...they will only take Bream that are 28cm and over.

I like the feeling of bagging fish and I only release what isn't legal or not wanted... we only take legal size and above!!! Its better to take only what you need, so does it matter if I had a good or bad day.... I tend not to overfish the same spot, plus one day you may catch your bag and the next you might catch nothing.

I'm new to this site, and thought I'd share my stories and catches. My apologies if I have ofended anyone. I can easily stop?

Thanks for all of your responses!

George.

GEORGE, keep the posts coming but be careful what pic's you post as some take offence to lots of fish in a pic! Like RICH said, no laws broken so well done and as long as they are all eaten, enjoy those yummy suckers!

I too am in favour fo raising the size limit on these bread and butter fish. We too set our own minimums on certain species like bream, flatties, whiting and tailor although a few 'fat' whiting at 24-25cm is sometimes tempting...

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint
    It's great to catch heaps of bream but it even better feeling to release them!

I wish more people would practice this on all species.. #
    some may feel good releasing them..as for me..I love eating them.

Whenever there is a thread in the estuary fishing section with someone catching a lot of fish, there is often someone saying you should not catch that many. Interesting that there is never the same comments in the offshore fishing section. Most offshore trips I have ever been on, and most that you see posted on this site sees about 30 fish as the usual catch. And they are not little fish. So why is it that people comment when similar number of legal estuary fish are taken? Buggered if I know. Often seems that new members or young members are targeted as well.

Bream are almost plague numbers at times, so as long as they are legal and not wasted, good on ya. Well done.

We also set a slightly larger min for Bream on my boat, but as long as it is legal then you are entitled. 30 odd fish is not that many as we would go through nearly a third of that in Bream for a feed at my house so there really was not that much anyway. Freeze up a couple of packes for the following week or 2 that you don't get to go out or have a not so successful trip, and suddenly 30 Bream is not excessive.

As for getting more enjoyment out of releasing than keeping for dinner,,,, sorry no does not do it for me. I am on the eating team. I do sometimes release fish, but that is only when keeping them would be wasted (thus release as there should never be waste).

Just my thoughts.

Cheech

Well said CHEECH! You are on the mark with your comments!

Take Care T

Mate,
    You've done well for a land based catch and as has been said all legal. Your idea of a self imposed size limit is a good one, an old bream man I used to fish with wouldn't take below 25cm and normally could pull around 30cm regularly so would drop the 25's as well. His reasoning was as follows," those little buggers are hardly worth cleaning and besides at 23cm the poor little mongrels have had only one chance at finding some loving, how about we put him back for another shot before we knock his head off?"

In the end though the choice is yours, whatever you do just don't molest the mongrels like Mr. Hunt does, life's hard enough as it is!
    Keep the posts coming brother. (I reckon your dad came out on top for the day though.)

Good catch mate this is a very funny site at times. I was baged for taking 22 fish a few weeks back.
    I still post dont let the worry you.Alot of them just look at the pics and dont read the posts so like i said dont let them stop you from posting.

Keep up the good work.

Zulu 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    Whenever there is a thread in the estuary fishing section with someone catching a lot of fish, there is often someone saying you should not catch that many. Interesting that there is never the same comments in the offshore fishing section. Most offshore trips I have ever been on, and most that you see posted on this site sees about 30 fish as the usual catch. And they are not little fish. So why is it that people comment when similar number of legal estuary fish are taken? Buggered if I know. Often seems that new members or young members are targeted as well.
    cheech,,, you've got my vote,,,,can't agree more,,, i've seen that many negative comments (especially towards newer members) on this forum than in saltwater its not funny,,,and you dont hear from the member after that

the old choppa is c & r,,, and very soon i'll be ""tag c & r"",, but thats my choice,,, the fish i do keep are the ones that i eat that day,,,,,,

as long as the fish are legal,,, and bag limits aren't exceeded,, each to there own,,,

i can recall a post where a newby excitedly reported his first """pb bream,,,,""",,, 3 pages later someone said,,, ""GOOD CATCH"",,,,,haven't seen him around much since

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    [quote author=TheSaint link=1152890208/0#12 date=1152926344]It's great to catch heaps of bream but it even better feeling to release them!

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with taking a feed but if you aren't going to eat it that day it's a waste to freeze a fresh fish..

Good on ya mate ,keep catching and eating them As for the underlining issue of this thread ,everyone entitled for they opininon on c&r ,and sometimes you being picked on for releasing a fish if certain members remember .Catching HEAPS ALL THE TIME has its moments
    cheers
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

George well done. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing and not taking undersize fish then continue to enjoy. There have been a lot of negative comments lately and I dont understand why, I thought the objective was to support eachother here, not to tear into eachother. Keep the posts coming mate, your reports are a pleasure to read.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint
    [quote author=PinHead link=1152890208/15#17 date=1152938387][quote author=TheSaint link=1152890208/0#12 date=1152926344]It's great to catch heaps of bream but it even better feeling to release them!

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with taking a feed but if you aren't going to eat it that day it's a waste to freeze a fresh fish..[/quote]

why is it a waste to freeze fish..so what if I may want to keep 20 fish..share them with friends and family..as long there is nothing illegal done then who cares...I get sick and tired of people being bagged for doing absolutely nothing illegal...if others want to toss the fish back...so be it...if others want to keep them..good on them. C&R isn't all it is cracked up to be either in my opinion.

Kill & Grill...and science keeps finding more and more benefits from eating fish.

Oh..BTW...if you saw my report from Caloundra from last Tuesday night...brother in law and myself caught 45 LEGAL bream..actually all were over 25cm...and..we kept them all. Considering he has 3 adult offspring with spouse and I have 2 with spouse and family...and a few to the neighbour...now that is 8 families..that equates to just over 5 fish per family...wow..what a fish slaughter..if anyone is concerned about us keeping that many..tough..I do not care. We abided completely by the law therefore have nothing to answer to anyone.

Yeah mate each to their own

I myself only keep what i will eat that day - never freeze thats my choice

Great catch - just dont like the "slaughter" bit, but thats just my opinion

Keep having fun fishing and keep posting

Cheers

IBBO

Good onya Pinhead. I dont have no problem with freezing bream either. My dad has done it for years and the flesh has never gone off. I am of the opinion that some ppl are not happy unless they are running others down. Come on everyone we are here to encourage and support eachother.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Right on PINHEAD & KEL, i don't hear anyone screaming about catching and releasing and/or freezing beef or lamb!!!!!! We seem very happy to do this to those creatures but when it comes to fish, it's taboo?!?!?!

Well, next time you freeze a t-bone or rump or cutlet, think of releasing it instead perhaps...

Take Care T

PS: I have good friends who owned a fish & chip shop for years - we had this debate many times about the merits of freezing fish and i am flat out telling the difference in taste between the 2... and we tested it!