Thread: pelegic no show

pelegic no show

my young fellow has been asking to get the spinning rods out and go for a spin. Well we decided to give the squire a miss and chase a few speedsters. We had one quick explosion of fish between fisherman and Mud which totally disapeared as quickly as it came. Had a blind cast around the area and was surprised to get hit by a grinner. I had no idea they had the pace to run down a quick retrieved slug. Covered a lot of ground but couldn;t find any playmates. As we made our way back to the river we ran a little closer to the front walls and from about 500 metres we could see a sizeable smash on the top close to the rocks. We motored over to find baitfish showering and 1 solo fish carving along the wall. He was on fire ,smashing bait and showing no concern to us as he filled his belly . Now i've done enough spinning for macs and tuna to tell what I'm throwing lures at. This bloke was a typical mackeral feeding, slashing through the bait ,that tail fin up and carving and that shoulder wave as he slayed through the terrified bait school. the size of this fish just blew me away. I remarked to the young fellow how big is this fish and his only reply was bloody big. Now I've seen LTs not far from this wall but i would have to ask has anyone seen a spandiard in this area? I remember quite a few years back after a fair dry spell we had a few turn up at Mud but this blew me away . sorry we put the time into casting but he wouldn't take our offerings. I would have loved a connect to this bloke and confirm what i was seeing. A bit of a buzz for what was a very quiet day. All i can say is i've got this big mystery fish running through my mind

Re:  pelegic no show

hey mate, ive heard that there are some schoolies in around the islands at the moment but never heard of spaniards that far inside the bay.How long ago were they caught at mud?

There were some reports of spaniards in the deeper droppoffs around Peel earlier this yer - bit of a rarity I reckon though.

Great report chief - the way you explained that spaniard - I could almost see him smashing the bait. Well done.... Pity about not catching any though... buts thats fishin - you'll gettem next time.

Nice read mate - shame you didnt hook up but oh well... thats a part of what keeps us going back :-P The rock walls (on the cnr) on the right heading out of port were thick with 2inch poddy mullet the other night with something making them jump... We put the 12ft cast net out a only 3 times but pulled it closed and in before allowing it to settle (didnt want to snag it) and caught enough live bait for a good session and plenty for the freezer.

As for the grinner's speed - we often hook up to grinner's while trolling various lures accross the bay while heading to scarby reefs or mud out of Brisbane River... We troll at 9-10klms/hr and lures placed 50 - 80m astern. It surprises me these little buggers have the ability to open wide and engulf a set of trebbles half the size of their body length... Watch your fingers on their razor sharp teeth too (speaking from experience

cobiaman, when I think about it ,it was about 12 years back one was caught at the compass adjustment bouy and we had one come out of the water like a polaris missle at mud. This fish the other day was no schoolie.It would have been 1200mm + long. that period back then was a real dry spell , we had reports of spaniards , me and a mate had caught 4 dolphin fish at the four beacons and some reported hooking yellowfin juveniles at places they'd never been caught inside moreton bay. after just getting a boat again 7 mths ago i've been blown away with snappery squire in the brissie river and threadfin and big grunter, god knows what will turn up where. and braddles that area has so much bait there , its unbelieveable at times. i offen find something to play with there with out traveling to far tailor, schoolies,bonito and tuna