Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Lives Here

gogecko

Jack Lives Here

Went out for a fish last night with a plan of trying a few livies for a change. So I cut the motor and glided into a spot near a bridge that usually holds a few herring, and I got the cast net ready. It was so quiet, and I looked at the bridge pylon, and thought ‘why not throw a lure before I get noisy netting and disturb the fish?’. I looked at the rods and the only one rigged was a Prawnstar in El Natural, so I flicked it out at the base of the pylon. Straight after the drop, one bounce, and bang, Im on. No zzzz on the drag, but enough stick to let me know this is a serious fish, and luckily he heads for deep water and comes towards the boat. By now, hes done a left zig, and a right zag, got close to the boat (no color yet) and then takes off on another run. Straight away Im calling this a good jack, and Im confident in my knots, but Ive had a few fish throw trebles lately, so Im pretty cautious and keep the stick high. Finally get him to the boat, I can see some color, and very gently get him into the landing net. In the light of my xenon headlamp, he looks pretty silver while still in the water, but as soon as hes in the boat, theres no mistaking those teeth, and he starts to go red.

You beauty, my first legal jack! Got one 34cm last summer, and had a few jacks bust me off this season, but this one is in the boat after the first cast, and anything else that happens this session is a bonus. He went 42cm, and straight into the esky. Yes , Im eating the first one of the season, I will think about what I do with the next one when I get that far.

This bridge is somewhere on the North end of the Gold Coast, caught about 30 min before high tide, and that’s all Im saying on location.

I also got a 60cm flathead on the same prawnstar, 2 more lizards about 30cm, and another good bream 31cm to the fork on a hardbody. The prawnstar was regular size, line was 6lb braid, and 40lb leader. Id been busted off on 20lb leader a few weeks ago, so I upped hte ante. Heavy leader doesn’t seem to impede the action of this lure design at all.

What a xmas present, thanks Santa.
    I might have to get an avatar pic up now. The wife said “does this mean you wont be so obsessed from now on?” Hmmm, will I slow down my hours, or be even keener? I dunno. I got the look when I suggested we fish on xmas day, but I think I get to fish on boxing day, and maybe the day after.

gogecko

Re: Jack Lives Here

on the mat.

gogecko

lizard.

Nice fish mate - never caught anything on prawnstars but may have to blow the dust off and give them a go.

Very nice fish Gecko

Well Done

Brett

keen_as_mustard

Top fish Andrew - those Prawnstars are a good lure, especially around the pylons

You are off to an early start this year, looks good for you for the rest of the season.

Marty

Good work mate nice fish to open your account. Hope theres plenty more to come. Nothing pulls harder in the eastury then them red fish. I think your misses is in for a few lonely nights.

Cheers Whytey
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

bidkev

Nice goin' mate. I think I may just have to re-invest in another couple of prawnstars............the last one ended up in branches 4 metres above the water..........I shoulda known not to hand the rod to the deckie

kev

Wow, nice fish mate, dying to get me hands on both a jack, and one of those "blood-up" prawnstars, have you seen any? Nice bright blood red with white eyes, i reckon they would be the ducks nuts.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

nice fish andrew, sounds like unreal trip out.

dorado

Well done mate and congratulations on your first legal Jack! Tell me though, if you will, how did you cook him? And where can I get one of those measuring mats and how much are they?

Cheers

Good onya Gecko !!- Merry Christmas !!
    " AINT NO FUN WATIN' ROUND TO BE A MILLIONAIRE "

Well done on your 1st this season Gecko. Looking forward to a few more now. Nice pics mate.

Rich

[smiley=laola.gif] YAY ANDREW!!!!

Congrats on the cherry mate!

Hi Andrew,

Good stuff mate those hours on the water are starting to pay off, don't count on being able to leave them alone now. You have been bitten by the bug now there is no turning back. Two days to holidays let the 2am starts begin .

Cheers
    Matty