Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheech and Chong go North

Commodore

Cheech and Chong go North

It’s been a while and didn’t really recognize the site with so many new members , hello to all you newbie’s and what about some of the old faithful's?
    Webby, I see you caught one fish in the past 5 months HAHA, how did your relocation go? In addition, you still owe me a trip and 2 black rats you GOM!
    Also see Chaleville is still producing novels….well done mate always a good read and not sure about leaving Mud?? I know her well also and she can be lean, but never let her go, all ways a fish there if you know when and where….
    Will also take this opportunity to say condolences to Touchy’s Family and friends, only meet him once at the first ausfish bream comp, midnight at the car park, few drinks and a story from the comforts of his ute, Fish in peace Touchy.

Well there is so many I haven’t caught up with of late, so hi to all, see most are still catching a feed and staying out of trouble. So on that note here is the report form or northern adventure.

It’s been approximately 5 months since left Cheech as his regular crew and came north to find a new start and some very different fishing and wonderful fellow ausfishers such as Bob (Serene Lady) and others. Therefore, after many communications the decisions were made that Cheech would come up to explore the great bay, that’s the one inside Frazer and bordered by Hervey Bay, Bundaberg and some of worlds most pristine waters.

It is a huge mission and many hours went into the GPS (secrete local marks), captain voyager, regulations (will mention later in the report), green zones, timing, weather and so on. So Cheech arrives Friday night, good trip up form Brisvagas to Maryborough and the final points are decided over a couple of rums and we are ready for the early launch Sat.

Off to Urangan we go, are we there yet? was a the call from the Driver, hey mate this is the country, 30 mins to the corner shop is nothing, so to the ramp, which is busy and we have some dam fine conditions , after a pie and quick look around Cheech's Charters is off to the deep blue, well after we stop twice so Cheech can make some final adjustments to his new do dacky thing for the motor??

S%#^%, starting to sound like a CV report , so to get things a going we head north with a bee line for Rooney’s, stopping at ???? spot which was crap , about 15km out. From here I think it was about 35km straight up with slight NE and some chop so trip wasn’t too bad with some stops flicking at bait schools for no result.

On arrival, check anchorage, just in case weather goes bad and then out 7 km to secrete squirrel spot y.dd.jj. Looks boring so found our own spot , fished all day with only bloody snapper around, not big, but nice table size, what a bugger . Caught mostly on the bottom with Cheech getting one on a floater and myself getting one on the bream gear (lots of fun). As the sunset, the decision was made to stay the night, conditions where favorable. (Rums and Red + Chook sandwich, I’ll say nothing about the presentation, but you can guess)

So after flogging this spot we move to a ledge we saw on the way out , get the pick down, oh and this is after the most excellent bite time had passed, first of the flood, sun setting fresh bait, what the….not a fish? , any ways we get set and GO!, well cheech does , double hook ups, this fish, that fish, I could not loose a frigging bait!

After the bite goes quite and Cheech has binned at least 10 fish (mixed reefies) , I ask sheepishly if could have a fish from his side? OK I’m a bit tired any way and there’s no bait left so to the starboard side I go….first go and I’m on finally , it is amazing that one side can fish and the other is dead, although Cheech did get one bite?

Highlights of the arvo night session:
    Cheech
    Caught the most
    Drank the least
    Big bust offs
    Had a great time
    Destroyed a chicken

Chong
    Drank the most
    Caught sharks and 3 foot green toads
    Made nice chicken sandwich (but who cares)
    Finally got a good fish
    Had a great time

Go to sleep now, oh joy, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZzoh suns up, piss off, need panadol (that’s me) , get out of bed slack ass ( Cheech)

So a bit more of a bottom bash in spot x and time to go a shore for breeky, I suggest we troll a lure or two , with a quick response of, that s%#$ doest work, I said its my B-day and I want a troll (God, sounds like a pair of old farts ), so I get my way and we troll to shore, and guess what, MR. I HATE TROLLING gets his first mack on a lure …..I like this can we do some more he says??? bloody hell, take me to shore and feed me . I did manage to hook a tuner on my 2-4kg graphite with okuma bait runner and a 6gm slug, on the way in, good fun.

So breeky on the shores of Frazer, a quick swim, another troll, explore some new ground on the way home with wind behind us, another great day on the water. Arrive back at ramp about 2:30pm with boats abound, some poor bloke was trying to drive up on his trailer , 3 attempts still going after we had retrieved in a record 52 second dispatch! Only to be greeted by the boys in blue….

Now I’ll be quick here, Craig and I have always followed the regulations, been aware of zones, never take under sizes fish, to the extent we had laminated docs on regs, gps marks for the green zones, measured everything but forgot one thing? And we where both oblivious to some fish been fin species’, and it is not stated in the DPI down load of fish sizes and bags limits?
    We where lucky to have an understanding officer and quickly fixed the fish that needed attention, I for one from now on will cut all reef type fish boated, then you cant go wrong.

So that’s the end, made it home, cleaned the fish, made mornay , pan fried some , bloody beautiful, had another drink , and slept well. Got up to do some quick maintenance on cheech's charters, had fish for brunch , watched the poms go down , and Cheech was off home. Great weekend and once again Cheech and Chong hook up, Thanks Craig for a great mission, look forward to the estuary bash around x-mas time , hope you enjoyed the read, its good night from hims and happy fishing from me.

Cheers,
    On behalf of Cheech’s Charters
    Chong
    1st pic on departure

Commodore

Re: Cheech and Chong go North

Chong in action

Commodore

Result

Commodore

as the sun goes down, should have been a hot bite

Commodore

one small step for Cheech, yes its sand
    first time on Frazer

Commodore

whats that, i think the boat floating away

Commodore

ah, cheechs charters safe now

Commodore

da feed

Commodore

trolling???? what the....
    well done mate
    sorry i did not get some more pics
    lost track of the camera with the action
    next time

Great read (or should that be 'novel'? ) Chong.

Looks like a top outing with a nice feed at the end of it. Well done!

Good on ya fellas! Good to hear from you again too Matt. Havent seen you around for a while...

I might be up that way around xmas time. I'll have to give you a yell.

Cheers,
    Dan

Obviously very busy up there Matt! Well done to you and Craig and great to see a report from you after a lay-off (working i assume)...

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Commodore

Ta lads,
    took a page or 2 from your efforts CV
    Dan, any time, have little tinny now to attck creeks, i'll be away from 22nnd dec to 28th, so if you are around give us a call
    Hey T, yeh been a bit busy, was nice to have a few days on the water with old mate, see you been doing ok in the bay??
    Cheers,
    Chong

themisses

Fab report!! Great read, there is nothing like catching up with old friends.
    Cheers Kim.

Great report Matt
    and a great feed, hope to meet you when you come down to the big smoke.
    rando