Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Rainbow/ DI report...more monster whiting + tailor

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Rainbow/ DI report...more monster whiting + ta

Quote Originally Posted by SURF_SNIPER
    nice high bank your on in the photo's chris. any tailor pics for us?
    nup - no tailor # but i didn't fish the dark or dawn which was when the moon was up - however ... 3 or 4 minutes into the tussle with the whaler the alvey (you can see it in the background after I reset it - the whaler got to drip dry for a few minutes) went off with a big gar on it - i was about 50m down the beach by that stage as the shark went parrallel - the alvey kept running & the rod bouncing until I beached the whaler then dragged the bloody thing 50m back up the beach to my damn pliers as the sliders hooks were inside that rather sharp mouth.

I got to the Alvey leant on it and set the drag and the hooks pulled - bugger #

A few very ordinary dart and whiting and this disc-jew (pic below) that took a beautiful bunch of worms in bubbling jade-coloured water on one of the corners to that gutter.

There was a 4kg tailor caught at night during the week on mac-tuna flesh in a melon hole closer to the point on the top of the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider

Chris, that's the 2nd only shark that I'm aware of caught on a Slider - must have been great fun. ...
    So have you found any tailor with the sliders yet? Received a msg from Scott a while back when he caught his first slider caught tailor but am wondering how you have gone.
    was like hitting a brick wall - i was casting and letting the metal sink to the bottom of that channel before cranking - i thought it was a big tailor the way it ran inside the bank. The only shark i've ever got on lure have taken the tailor that hit the lure then got snagged themself.

I will order a couple from you - #i tried raiders as well - for the same size profile they definitley cast further with virtually no flutter through the air - the fish just weren't inside - lots of weed in the water - heaps of jellies & bluebottles and those sail-about blue things.

Was one of my leanest trips to straddie but as i said i wasn't fishing nights or dawn - #it was more a family trip with me escaping every so often.

chris

have droped line poundage many times before lindsay as well as brands in search of fine diameters. 99% of the time im using 10 balls or larger modified versions of 10 ( 11.5 balls as we call em )balls as sinkers. the majority of my tailor rods are in the 15ft+ length range so you can imagine how much force is released from a rod and weight of the size and weight which im using.

i have droped to 20 and 25 lb line clasess before but you must be very carefull and gentle when casting such weights long distances. I have found that by using the 30 lb super 100 with its very thin diameter still gives good casting distance and holds well even in strong sweep. infact i cant tell the diference in casting distance or how it holds in sweep compared to the 20lb and 25lb lines..

i reckon no more then 15lb line is sufficent for holding a big tailor and when im floating baits etc, this is about the max i use.

i have started using this trinnium line now as it has the same 30lb rating yet is still thinner then the super 100. it is nearly on par with the 20lb super 100. so cant be a bad thing.

surf_sniper - I've got to ask why the really large sinkers? and is that only when tailor fishing? What do you generally use when bream/whiting/dart fishing?

I have a couple of size 10 sinkers and occasionally use them to control sweep but I don't find that I can cast them any further than a size 8, which is pretty big already. And it's hard to feel anything much when the size 10 gets bogged in the sand a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Ok, back in action and fully recovered.

Paul, you could well be right about the 125lb 49 strand being a bit heavy for tailor to bite through. Certainly hasn't happened yet anyway. In fact Drew I haven't had it happen with any wire that I've used with spinners or bait. This may be due to line poundage and tension with the heavier mono that you use. Not that the poundage is an issue with heavier gauge wire, but could be the reason. By the way have you thought of using lesser poundage main line with your 30lb tied to the end to prevent throw offs like I do when spinning? Would think that distance would be better again and sweep less of a problem.

Lindsay
    Yes, could be a good call Linds. With all my barra and offshore fishing recently I haven't had the chance to fish the beach for a while but am going to try the TSS4 (20lb bionic I think) and see if I can land my first Slider caught tailor.

Sounds like you had a ripper time offshore recently yourself.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by chisel
    surf_sniper - I've got to ask why the really large sinkers? #and is that only when tailor fishing? #What do you generally use when bream/whiting/dart fishing?

I have a couple of size 10 sinkers and occasionally use them to control sweep but I don't find that I can cast them any further than a size 8, which is pretty big already. #And it's hard to feel anything much when the size 10 gets bogged in the sand a bit. #

chisel give these suckers a go - called ezi rig I think - i found them very good in the ripping channel gutter I was fishing over straddie - i had never used them (or sliders) before. You've gotta watch the ezirig with big weights - see the one without the sinker how it has opened slightly - you need to bend back about every 5 casts but the casts did have some real grunt behind them - i'm a huge man # # ... or it may have been from the pressure extracting the sinker

the sinker doesn't come with them of course - the sinker buries in the sand and it is still very easy to feed line to the current & feel what's happening.

the sinkers with the swivel worked better than a snapper lead without - you could easily build one from a large ball sinker, some bendable stiff wire and a swivel. I was casting good distance into the wind with 60cm traces and with the swivel sinker - no tangles.
    seeyainthesurf,
    chris

used those last trip chris, work well.

chisel, my rods are correctly loaded when usind 10 balls hence why i can cast further with them with a 10 then an 8. your rods may be overloaded with a 10 but better suited to the weight of the 8 ball.

10 ball serves two purposes for me 1, distance 2, the abilty to anchor a bait exactly where i want it.

i often get big whiting/bream and dart using big sinkers.

IMO having to fish light in the surf is a tot myth. especially when it comes down to big fish

I agree on the myth about having to fish light. Objective for me is usually just ability to cast a long way, even if it is not needed every cast it is useful to be able to cover more water. So I generally use 10-15lb mono and size 5 to 8 sinkers. One alvey has 20lb for casting bigger sinkers safely. My heavier rods are pretty heavy but I have thought about having an even heavier one as an option. Next rod purchase might be something better matched to casting a slider though :-)

Chris - those ezi rigs certainly look worth a try. Should definitely improve the feeling through the line.

I guess bigger sinkers would be more useful when using rod holders and multiple rods. That's something I rarely do at the moment.

Surf Sniper.

Awesome read, and you sure know how to get them..

Reading this i have decided to pull a few sickies owed and hit up DI next weekend for a few days.

If anyone is up that way, i will be in a grey Jackeroo and i will taking the boss and girls so i will be fishing solo stop and have a chat.

Cheers

Dan

agree chisel, is better suited to multiple rods and rod holders.

i used the smaller blue ezi sliders last trip , red ones have a larger hole for the line. worked very well.

would work very well if you want to anchor your bait on the corner of a suck out and feed the bait ou through the gutter.

NeilD

If you are trying to anchor your bait then those easy sliders work a treat. I use them with Pyramid sinkers with the wire loop and they stick like glue. There are a few different brands floating about so make sure you get the larger size.

Neil

That is an awesome fish. Biggest tailor I have ever seen. I usually use 40lb mono leader. Never again. That thing would bite through it in no time. Wouldn't want to lose a fish like that. G.

Bill_Klein

juwst bring this up the front so some can see the pics