Thread: lone spottie

lone spottie

Hi all,

up way to early to chase a few mackeral today on the water just before sunup and headed out into the bay. set up a drift and within minutes the first(only) spottie came aboard 81cm fork length caught by the father in law.

thinking were onto a hot bit nothing happened for the next 40 mins when on again. after a strange fight, which least of all I thought was a mack, up comes a foul hooked mack then nearly at the boat side the hooks pulled. after another 1hr or so looking on the sounder and drifting around, casting at beakons and still nothing. we then heard splashing behind us during a drift and a school had poped up behind us so we got at casting distance but no hook ups, then they popped up all around us then went under and 2 mins later FIL hooked up again after a short run the hooks pulled on that too. More time passed without a hit and FIL put his rod down with a pillie out and bottom bashed with another outfit and he hadn't backed the drag off enough on the floater and the other crewman, who would have been in a good postition, had got up to go too the loo and then bam rod and reel with the floater hit the water at blistering pace and vanished never to be seen again. unfortunatly the hooks didn't pull that time.

So all up we got one good spottie, too pulled hook ups and one fish that stole a tss4 and a live fibre spin stick. forgot camera so didn't get a photo but don't worry it was a spottie . and if anybody lands a fish in the bay with a long lenght of line hanging out its mouth pull it in I think it will be the catch of the day, although the rod will be the only thing worth using I would think.

Later
    Andrew
    "It's not a sport if the other team doesn't want to play"

F.R.

Brisbane Roar 2010/2011 Champions!!

Re: lone spottie

Mate, sorry to hear about that rod and reel. I hope you had caught a few fish before this trip and got a bit of use out of it. At least there was a bit of action with a few spotties. cheers

I sometimes have to wonder if any scubadivers get to see those frieght trains swim by with rod and reels following behind them? Lol Sorry to hear about the rod loss. That would sh!t me to tears if that happened to me. Thankfully it hasn't yet and hope it never does. Well at least one spotty is better than nothing.

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Sarg

this may make u feel a bit better.......once while crabbing i threw the pot out in a deep hole not realizing the float had rapped itself 3 or 4 times round my brand new shimano spin outfit ..... tried every trick in the book to retrive the sucker to no avail then tried the old cast net trick and tore a gapping hole in her.........#$@!!! i hate those days. > >

better luck next time

cheers

nob

Bugger,Bugger Bugger, that would certinly take the smile off your face
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

OUCH!!... damn shame about the rod and reel.

Yesterday was the fist trip we had out, that we didn't bring home one fish in the esky. although 1 bad trip out of 5 doesn't seem to bad when you look at it in the larger perspective.

The sand crab's made up for the lack of mackeral though

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher4life
    OUCH!!... damn shame about the rod and reel.

Yesterday was the fist trip we had out, that we didn't bring home one fish in the esky. although 1 bad trip out of 5 doesn't seem to bad when you look at it in the larger perspective.

The sand crab's made up for the lack of mackeral though

And it wasn't any better this morning either. Same spot and techniques that worked last weekend and nothing to show for it. Water was a lot dirtier which probably had something to do with it and the water temp was down also. In 6 hours on the water this morning did not see any bait being worked, no birds, very dead.

I feel your pain about the rod!! Best remedy is to get out amongst them and make up for it in fish fillets!~

thanks for the comiserations the rod was not mine though it was geoffs(BIL) and chief he hadn't caught a decent fish on the rod (until his dad got one that morning) had some bust offs out in the bay but it landed its first mack then retired

Andrew
    "It's not a sport if the other team doesn't want to play"

F.R.

Brisbane Roar 2010/2011 Champions!!