Thread: Spaniards

Spaniards

Headed for a quick run out to the bay yesterday to test my mates new fly gear out $$$ Also needed a fix as i turned down a trip on Friday .
    Well as forcast the weather was sloppy but managable for the bay, we got to the beacons with no boat in site as well no fish , Then we noticed a large school been worked over by birds in the distance... Once we worked the school for awhile ( all just small bonito) we moved to try and find some decent longtails, we soon came up trumps all exciting stuff..... Then from the corner of my eye a fish was heading skyward out of the small tuna we had been working earlier, Johno and i had to confirm with each other on what the fish was as we were both sure it was a Spano.
    A little more mucking around chasing the never ending shy school of longtails when all of a sudden 30ft in front of the boat a 5ft + Span leaps straight out of the school with blood pooring down the sides of its chops with what appeared to be a small tuna.. times you wish you had a camera what a site .... Me being excited and not catching a decent size Spano for some time placed a few rapala's out with no luck.. We worked a rather large schoo of Spano.. this is something i havent seen in the bay but they were certainly spanish .

Re: Spaniards

Sandman sounds like fish were there what bay r u talking about i went out for quick fish yesterday at noosa a saw plenty of bonito which i immediatly thought there had to be spanairds chasing them but didnt see anything large

NeilD

They do come into the Bay on occasion. A few years back I picked up a 15.5kg model off Green

Cheers

Neil

I 've seen a large spaniard coming out the water like a polaris missle at mud and seen one caught not far from the compass adj. bouy. they do come into the bay.

i'm almost certian i hooked one up today, the fish were very skittish, however managed to get a very solid hookup on a very large fish (no standard spottie!!) that wanted to drag me back to the main land. Couldn't turn this fella around, he was on a mission!!!

Mate, saw a bloody big spainish launch out of the water one day when I was winter whiting fishing just off Shorncliff pier. Couldnt believe my eyes!!
    Got a nice spainard off Bulwer Ledge once that came 6 foot out of the water to nail me pilly on the way thru, a couple of meters from the back of the old quinny. Awesome stuff.

Sandman - that would have been a sight. Its a shame about the camera.

Spaniards are probably in the bay more than we think - it is probably just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Have caught a couple in the rous/rainbow channels and 4 beacons. I would have thought you could probably get them at the drop off into the deep water there at the sandhills - has anyone ever got any there?

You just never know what you are going to find in the bay - the beauty of our own backyard.

Horse - that is impressive - had never heard of them at green - I generally fish pretty light at green even when i do a quick troll of drift along the edge of the reef there - i think i would be in trouble if Iwas hit by that.

NMT

I'm just busting to do some fast trolling around the top end beacons and shipping lanes...reckon theres a spaniard there somewhere.

You often pick up the odd one (not big) in the shipping channel, and late in the season in the Rainbow.
    regards

In March last year I picked up a spano at Curtian on a floater rig that was aiming for spotties. It was 7kg.
    Cheers