Thread: Wello - Early Friday Morning 29 December

Wello - Early Friday Morning 29 December

I decided to break the drought - the boat hasn't been in the water for about a month. Launched at about 4:00AM this morning at Wello Pt. There were only a couple of trailers parked and another boat launching as I did. Headed out through the leads and dropped three of the dillies along the reef edge, keeping one for a bit of "prospecting". The wind was a very light SW or SSW.

I tried fishing along the reef in a few places - nothing doing. To cut a long story short, I tried spots between Huybers and Ormiston Point - total catch was 2 undersize bream and a tiny sweetlip. I tried the prospecting dilly in a few spots, but I only got 2 undersized male sandies (though one was temptingly close to legal).

I returned to the three dillies, and got a legal male crab and two shovelnose rays. By about 8:00AM, the wind had swung to the SE and was picking up. Time for a tiny tinny to get off the water.

Not much to show for the morning, but a beautiful sunrise and it beats the hell out of working.

Mike

HIGH_and_DRY

Re: Wello - Early Friday Morning 29 December

i also went out yesterday, but did not get on the water till 10... I passed my mate coming back in with a full bag, and he warned me of 2 large bulls cruising the area. i happened to have my big gear with me and a whole bonito. i floated the bait out on a balloon and within 10 mins had a 6foot bull circling the float. no interest in the bait but. must have already had enough of my mates snapper!!! starting to feel a bit green around the gills with all the chop we headed back in with nothing. will have an early night the night before i think next time!!