Thread: Coomera early this morning - Sunday 31 Dec

For_Steve

Coomera early this morning - Sunday 31 Dec

Fished the Coomera South Arm and Broadwater from 4:30am. Picked up 2 nice flathead around 45cm, bream, giant trevally, moses perch and a squid??? All fish and the squid caught of soft plastics (Gulps and Powerbaits).

Had a comedy of errors at one point. When I cast close to a snag, I managed to cast the line up and over an overhanging tree. As soon as the plastic started to sink I was on to a nice little moses perch around 30cm. Retrieved it as best I could and had him dangled a couple of feet above the water. I started the motor and maneuvered back to try and flick the line off the branch. Ended up snapping the line and losing the last of my favourite jigheads. In hindsight, I should have just motored over and boated the suspended fish, cut the line at the jighead and wound my line back in. That's fishing I guess. Even more embarrassing is that I did the same thing the very next cast with my other rod. All in all, I've been enjoying exploring the Coomera on a few short sessions now.

A while ago, Scalem suggested giving Wello Point a try due to it's proximity to shore. A top idea as I've got a 6 week old baby boy at home so the fishing trips need to be short but hopefully regular. Sure looking forward to taking the little man out in few years. Anyway back to the point, I'm keen to try Wello and hear AF members talking about the reef. I've attached a Google earth photo of Wello hoping that someone can help me identify which bit is the reef. I'm definately NOT asking for anyones favourite spot or spot X's, just to be roughly pointed in the right direction.

Regards and Happy New Year,
    Brad

Re: Coomera early this morning - Sunday 31 Dec

mate put in at the ramp, head out to the last set of leads then swing your boat to the north
    you will see a marker in the distance about 2km it is the huybers light.
    as you head towards this marker watch your sounder it will drop off to 5m from 2-3m
    then come back up again as you get closer
    work the edges with plastics or fresh pencil squid.