Thread: Kawana Weir

Kawana Weir

Had a frustrating day at the weir today. Fished from about 4:30 to 6pm with plastics. After starting on the parrearra side of the weir and having no success due to the crap that has accumulated on that side, I switched to the other side. All around the little pontoon there were big trevs or queenfish (not too sure, they were big either way). Spent a good hour throwing everything I could think of at them. Unfortunately they were feeding on the tiniest little fry, only about an inch long, that were schooled up all around the pontoon and hence they weren't interested in anything I threw at them. I tried the smallest plastics in my bag, the 2" micro-minnows, on both resin head jig heads and the heavier lead heads but still no luck. Some fellas who were there at the same time even tried some hardbodies and poppers, but no luck either. Anyways, that was my frustrating little session. Any thoughts on how to nail them next time [smiley=question.gif]
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Re: Kawana Weir

river 2 sea buggi pop ?

The bloke there was using a river 2 sea bubble pop but they were just not taking it. The only poppers I had were much too big compared to what they were nailing.
    Joel

The_Walrus

Try a white deceiver (fly) and use a split shot of an appropriate size ten cms up the trace.

Luc

Can you buy them or do you have to tie them? And what sort of sizes do they come in? It sounds like the most reasonable way to put something that small past them....
    Joel

you can by them mate check out the fly section in tackle world thay might have one or tie and fly thay will have them for shore
    figjam :wink:

High Explosive!!

that will work

Thats fishing , sometimes your left frustrated. Thats what the driving force behind the obsession. Don't you just love it.

give a small prawn star a go thats the only thing i have got them with (thay are gt and bigeyes) but i know what fly to try might go try my luck down there soon. bryan

mangrove_rat

hey guys, im from brisbane, but i've heard a little about this weir you reffering too, is it a good spot, i hear you catch jack and obvious trevs and that there too? is it worth comin up one day for a look and a fish, and where exactly is it? you get there by boat, it sounds like a good spot,
    cheers, can do

I went there again today, but no sign of the trevors. Once I get my other rod repaired I might take that down and have a bit of longer session, hopefully get some live herring while I'm there and have that out under a float. I'm sure you'll be there with bells on Bryan!

Mangrove Rat: It can be a good spot. I've found it's either all happening or nothing is happening. Apparently a week or two back a guy got a couple of nice queenfish, but I've had a few fishless sessions there as well. You can fish it from a boat or by land. You can get there by heading onto Kawana Island off the nicklin way. There's jacks, trevors, queenfish, bream, cod, moses perch and flathead all caught in that area. Later in the afternoon the better normally.
    Joel

mangrove_rat

cheers joel, thanks for the info, i might shoot up there one arvo after work next week, im going to noosa saturday night, but i think late next week on a run-in, late in the evening high tide might be the go? wat u think?
    thanks again mate, can do

Perfect! If the tide's running in hard then the flow from the outlet will be fast. Last time I was there when it was like that on an arvo I scored two nice trevally on soft plastics from the little jetty on the channel side. Best of luck to you and don't forget to put the report up
    Joel

hope to try that spot soon had a friend fish there b4 xmas and landed 2 nice jacks

Daniel