Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another whack at Wello

Another whack at Wello

Guys,

Went to wello yesterday ( thursday), 1st Placcie session for my wife. #Slow is the only word to describe it, but I thought because it had rained all night Wed, it would frighten most people off, And it did, we had wello all to ourselves, but who would have thought it could be that cold a few days after Christmas??? #I wish I had gone to Green earlier because there was more action there late morning. #I did manage to get a 51cm and 37cm Snapper at Wello.

Got pulled up by Dept Fisheries. #I've lost count now, I must have a sign on my boat somewhere that says PICK ME # #I really didn't mind the visit after all, she said that my 51cm fish was the best she had seen all morning( My Ego was big enough as it was), they had checked all around St Helena and Green, and the common complaint from fishos was that it was painfully slow fishing. #Yep, that about sums it up, but we still have a snap for lunch today, and my wife did get a couple of decent fish, but they were not quite legal. #All up, we had a great day, it was a rare chance for my wife and I to escape while Nanna minds the kids. Photo didn't turn out, camera batteries were flat which corrupted the image!! #I'll try again if anyone is interested, but nothing to get too excited about.....

Scalem

BAR_UP

Re: Another whack at Wello

Dear scalem, i quite often read your stories (& everyone elses) regarding fishing with plastics. I have 3 rod/reel outfits & boxes of different plastic lures (pumpkinseed, watermellon ect). I am a master at bait fishing shallow & deep water for reef species, And excell at live bait fishing/ trolling Macks, Ambos/ Cobs but am yet to learn this art of Plastics. I read about Wello and i bait fish different marks myself in winter mts & do catch Good numbers of snapper. Just wondering if these spots i already know would be a good start for me with my quest to learn the art of PLASSIES as youse call them. Any advice would be much appreciated. "BAR UP".

bidkev

At least you got out mate..........quality time just you and the missus, and that in itself is some sort of bonus. We have no rellies over here so the kids go with us unless we can get out midweek during school time.

Nice to hear that your missus is trying placcies, it's one way to get e'em interested if they don't like the smelly stuff, but I'm lucky.............my deckie doesn't mind handling dead things............she'll even do it when we're fishing

kev

PS can we borrow your Nanna?

Quote Originally Posted by BAR UP
    Dear scalem, i quite often read your stories (& everyone elses) regarding fishing with plastics. I have 3 rod/reel outfits & boxes of different plastic lures (pumpkinseed, watermellon ect). I am a master at bait fishing shallow & deep water for reef species, And excell at live bait fishing/ trolling Macks, Ambos/ Cobs but am yet to learn this art of Plastics. I read about Wello and i bait fish different marks myself in winter mts & do catch Good numbers of snapper. Just wondering if these spots i already know would be a good start for me with my quest to learn the art of PLASSIES as youse call them. Any advice would be much appreciated. "BAR UP". #
    Good On you Bar Up for your willingness to try something new. #I spent wednesday catching up with old friends, and my mate Warren told me he really has no desire to learn about placcies, even though he has several packets of the good stuff, one that I gave him, and maintains that a packet of the old mullet gut will always outfish me on plastics. #I normally shrug my shoulders and walk away from the debate, because for some reason, and especially fishoes are guilty of it, the reluctance to think outside what they are used to astounds me. #This time I let him know some of my views, endorsed by the fact that Foggy won the bait vs placcies contest this year, which was from Mud to Brisbane river. #I'll post the photos of the fish here, and also the rod and reel combo they were caught on, affectionately called my "Suicide rig"

Scalem

The rod I seem to catch a lot of fish on, and also the reel that has a very small line capacity of 2KG braid, is called the "Suicide Rig" #Every time I throw a placcie on this rig, I take a deep breath and say a prayer that I am not going to be spooled, which has happened at Wello one time...... #but got all my line back, the fish broke off at the jig head when I came up tight because I had run out.

As you can see, the rod has little more power in the blank than a cooked piece of spaghetti, and was originally bought for a bait caster, until I realized the dumbo's that built it put the guides on the opposite of the backbone that you would need for a baitcaster. #It works well as a spinner for plastics. #The reel is a Mitchel Avocet which I bought for $50.00 a few years ago. #I like a challenge!! #Turning this 51cm Snapper certainly was, but I think I could still turn something up to 60cm, but in trouble after that!!

Scalem

Well. well. well - There is just no excuse for being this close to home and not dropping in afterwards to show off your catch!!!!

I thought the anticipation of the look on GW's face would be enough entertainment to definatley drop in on us!

It is Pete's last day at work today, so I imagine that we will be out in the Bay a fair bit soon! I am keen to get out there and show Pete up again!

Good on Leslie for getting onto the plastics - how did she like them???

Sounds like you had a good trip!

Cheers
    Janine

Slient

Well done...sounds like you beat the crowd out there...
    I was at Mud island this morning...there are boats every where...
    I just caught nice 40cm squire...

Quote Originally Posted by Herm
    Well. well. well #- There is just no excuse for being this close to home and not dropping in afterwards to show off your catch!!!! #

I thought the anticipation of the look on GW's face would be enough entertainment to definatley drop in on us!

It is Pete's last day at work today, so I imagine that we will be out in the Bay a fair bit soon! #I am keen to get out there and show Pete up again! #

Good on Leslie for getting onto the plastics - how did she like them???

Sounds like you had a good trip!

Cheers
    Janine
    Hi Herm,

As generous an offer to call in on our way home, I didn't ..... The expression on GW's face may have turned from entertainment to a full on councelling session for him - I couldn't do that could I??

He does deserve this break after working hard for Christmas, let us know what you are doing, we still have till the 8th when I return to work. There is likely to be a trip somewhere to give the kids a ski, but apart from that, should be a trip or two in store. Nearly went out again today, but have to prepare for a 4WD trip tomorrow. Don't you love holidays!!

Scalem

Well done for getting out there and doing your bit for the environment by selective controlling the the squire numbers to prevent over-population. Wish it was me out there however. Getting bad withdrawal symptoms again.

Herm you put a smile on my face every time you mention GW and his great fishing expeditions. I think he is long overdue for another placcie lesson. Let me know if there is room to squeeze me onboard. You need someone who will actually challenge you in fish numbers. A nil catch is hardly competition huh? Still determined to watch Pete skull drag a good snapper in. One of those things I hope I would be there to witness. He'd be a happy man for sure.

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

aquarius

Nice squire on the light gear Brian,
    I bet that 51cm took out some line.
    Wello may not always give up a big feed but 99% of the time you take a small feed home.
    Cheers Brent

Quote Originally Posted by BAR UP
    Dear scalem, i quite often read your stories (& everyone elses) regarding fishing with plastics. I have 3 rod/reel outfits & boxes of different plastic lures (pumpkinseed, watermellon ect). I am a master at bait fishing shallow & deep water for reef species, And excell at live bait fishing/ trolling Macks, Ambos/ Cobs but am yet to learn this art of Plastics. I read about Wello and i bait fish different marks myself in winter mts & do catch Good numbers of snapper. Just wondering if these spots i already know would be a good start for me with my quest to learn the art of PLASSIES as youse call them. Any advice would be much appreciated. "BAR UP". #
    I am another just learning the art of plastics, after a few years collecting with not much trial. For xmass me oldies bought me a dvd with "mad dog" Royter, it came with a fea berkley plastics. I recomend a look as I feel now I would be able to have a decent go of them. There is as usual a lot of things I already knew but still picked up a lot.

Jaysea,

Any advice on using placcies that you need - it's all here. There's a huge number of guys on AF that will give you help, and I humbly offer any advice that I might bring to you, I do OK, reliably bringing home a feed.... But as Adamy told me recently, we only scratch the surface when it comes to knowing SP techniques. Twice recently, he met a tournament fisher/competitor at the boat ramp, and after spending a day on the water around the islands, Adamy took a look in the keeper tank of their boat, which he saw fishing the same waters because he recognises their boat. Adam's explaination went something like " do you know how happy we are keeping 40cm fish for the dinner table?? Well these guys had their bag limit of 40cm fish, but they are measuring top to bottom of the fish, not nose to fin...."

We can all do better, so any help we can give you is there for the asking.

Scalem

Scalem,
    I appreciate any advice that could be given on shallow water snapper on plastics. I fish normally floating a pillie down to them at approx 20ft off a ledge and quite often get my bag limit. They range in size from 35 to 70cm, and the current isnt all that strong near the bay islands so a weight is not normally used pending on rough weather.
    Cheers jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysea
    Scalem,
    I appreciate any advice that could be given on shallow water snapper on plastics. I fish normally floating a pillie down to them at approx 20ft off a ledge and quite often get my bag limit. They range in size from 35 to 70cm, and the current isnt all that strong near the bay islands so a weight is not normally used pending on rough weather.
    Cheers jason
    No worries, I'll PM you some time later this afternoon. What can I tell you that you don't already know? What do you know? Tell me the outline of what you have with gear, what line etc, what placcies you were given, and we'll go from there.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem
    [quote author=Jaysea link=1167340752/0#12 date=1167534554]Scalem,
    Cheers jason
    No worries, I'll PM you some time later this afternoon. #What can I tell you that you don't already know? #What do you know? #Tell me the outline of what you have with gear, what line etc, what placcies you were given, and we'll go from there.Sorry I can not pm you as I have not reached me 10th post yet . But I received yours and want to thank you for that info, and hope I may be of some service back, but will give you some feedback on my outings next week.
    cheers Jason

Scalem
    [/quote]