Thread: Sothern Bay Is

Sothern Bay Is

Ok my first of many to come
    Had 2 trips to me favourite little snapper hole this week. The first on Saturday night, with the usual weekend bunch of "boat ramp bashers" up to there full bag of tricks the brother and I decided the snapper would be nice to tickle the fingers and break the heart, so off to Mcleay Is it is. With the tide starting to slowly run out a few sharks decided to smash the surface and chase what may have been a few school Macs that I had seen jump. We wanted some fun so threw the old 7'' Alvey with 15lb a set of 4 gang 5O's and a 40lb mono trace. Burley was starting to work and it wasnt long before the first 37cm was landed followed by another 36cm. We then had the swing of a few 34cm and along came the 3rd reaching a nice pan size 42cm followed by a 41cm.
    Now the burley was working too well and CRACK hit me hard and started burning my hand as my palm drag system flew out. All was Lost. Tim got hit and held for a boat turning while and we thought a possible big dew as we have had a few here up to 25kg, so with line exiting at a steady pace it was time to chase and get some back. Up with the anchor and on with the 4stroke honda and another was lost. Then sharks were emptying the tackle quicker then my bank would approve a credit card so called it a night but a good feed none the less. Monday was a time I spent too much here getting "that itch " so off again without burley in 15 knott NE a normal no no for the 4.3 meter tinny, but you blokes got me going so I blame you . No such luck just a bronze shark and a ray but still better than going to work. Sorry no pics but will start takeing the camera with me next time.
    Cheers
    Jason

Slient

Re: Sothern Bay Is

Welcome aboard jaysea...
    Forwarding to see your next report and pic...
    Hey nice feed of pan sized squires...

Yes, welcome JAYSEA and look forward to some more reports. TINN and I fish Wello consistently for Squire/Snapper so perhaps we can share some knowledge in the future... We fish both SP's and bait depending on the time/conditions.

Good to see some Squire come from MacLeay too!

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Would be good for sure. I fish with the trusted pillie but am about to start the sp thing and have already recieved top advice here. There a few good spots around coochie and mcleay that we always get a feed and in winter 9 out of 10 times reach the bag limits within a few hours the other 1 time we get 5 or 6 bettween two blokes. Will sing out when it runs hot.

Gday Jason you should try circle hooks, should hook em in the corner of the mouth instead of swallowing the hook. Hope the palm is up to it

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Dont have a problem with the hooks getting swallowed, but will keep that in mind. As for the palm

Jaysea,

Great report.

What berley mix where you using?

I fish all around Macleay in winter chasing bream and do catch
    some XOS bream. but never sem to land a squire, catch the odd
    legal sweetlip though.

Without giving away your secret hole, can you tell me how much water you where in? and are you fishing the northwestern point at all?

Whiteingkiller,
    For burley I dice pillies and throw a bit here and there, as well I mush pillies and bread together and sink it useing one of those burley things worth about $30 bucks from bcf. I know where you fish as normaly I see all the boats there . I am not too far

Thanks Jaysea.

Might see you up there next winter

Well done Jason.

Bream around Maclay, now that's something I haven't done! I see all the reports of big bream around the islands, but never tried it.

Good fishing and report, congrats on your 1st for this forum.

Just one thing, I did try fishing East of Coochie with plastics once - I found there was too much weed that gets tangled up with the rig . How is it normally around that area for weed?

Looking forward to your next report.

Scalem

Dont have too much a problem with weed but on occasions when I fish coochie. I only fish coochie when the tide is wrong as it doesnt matter there so much. Try potts point for the bream (no secret that spot).