Thread: A day on the bay

A day on the bay

We've got family staying with us while they look for a place to stay. After moving to Brisbane from South Africa and spending their first two weeks sorting out the basics, we figured it was time to show them what Brisbane is really like.

I know, I know, more Seth Efricens, but they are both doctors, and they'll be working at the RBH, so I guess we need em.

With the first day of better than average weather, a trip to Shark Spit for a bit of picnicking was called for. Also an excuse for me to check out possible camp sites for the mackerel bash and of course , being me, even though it was a family trip, a spin stick managed to find its way on board

After getting the required number of ooh's and aah's for the brilliant blue water, the wonderful white sand, all the pretty sailing boats, the resident sea eagle, etc, etc, it was time to head back. Just past the four beacons, we found a huge flock of terns, just going ballistic. Getting a bit closer you could see both macks and tuna smashing the bait to smithereens in just about every direction around us.

The bait they were casing was really tiny, so I matched the hatch with the smallest slug I had, a 2" halco streamer. I wasn't really expecting to catch anything as it was already 1:30pm, but after a few casts, whammo! I hauled in a smallish mack. Can't tell you what it was because as it got to the boat, I discovered I hadn't set the the drag and kersnap!
    Note to self always check drag first.

That was it for the day, nothing else seemed interested. There were some brute sized tuna around which seriously imressed the relatives when they smashed the bait schools, but not half as much as the mother dolphin with calf that paid us a visit.

No fish, but gee, sometimes its hard living in Queensland

Re: A day on the bay

It is a funny thing but after reading that, I have a smile on my face. There is no doubt about it, that side of Moreton Bay is a wonderful place to visit.

My wife often sees nice views of Barrier Reef places on the TV and says how nice they look and I invariably tell her that I could take her to places as good as that in Moreton Bay. She is too scared to go out in the Bay with me on my little runabout so she has to take my word for it.

Add to all that you have said, the images of big turtles swimming adjacent to your boat and that unbelievable colour of water on the inside of Moreton and it is true that having a boat in Brisbane is an absolute treat.

I work with a number of Seth Efrecens and they are becoming as thick as bloody Kiwi's!!!!

I dont think they will need to much reminding of how good this place is we live in,I hope you told them that they are sworn to secrecy and not to tell anyone else about our great country.

Good to see they had a good time.

Cheers

Paul

Not a bad way to spend a day really mate!

I'm thinking that the time of year is here to be heading back to that spot of ours near there