Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest Flathead ?

R_K_HILL

Re: What's your biggest Flathead ?

That things a monster!

Captian_Zero

81 cm (4.4 kg) in pumicestone passage on a live herring.

Come on Flickflack, where's your photo's

Pin flatty september 03 caught on squidge 100mm shad in green tiger. Watched her come off the bottom to inhale the jig on the drop.
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

R_K_HILL

Bloody hell theres some big flatties ...

Posting this one for my youngest boy , he did try before but it didn't go through.

This is Max's best ever fish, 93cm & 5.2 kg.

For those of that think it should have been released ,

(a) at 11 it was the biggest fish he had ever caught! Would you?

(b) Contrary to popular belief, even at that size it was great eating

Muzz

Here is one of my best efforts, taken up in Pittwater off a marina.

Don't have a photo. Best ever was about 30cm but was caught in mud in 80+ feet of water fishing on a wreck in Darwin Harbour.

We don't see too many flathead around darwin, but people don't seem to target them. Some of these photos have me interested in trying.

I always believed that they where around sandy and reasonably shallow waters, Are they often caught in depp water, note the Song Siagon wreck has a huge amount of current passing by so I was pretty proud to catch a flathead in those waters, The only other palce I have ever caught them is juveniles while throw netting off the beach around Gunn point which is a large flat bay with large tidal movement, At least 1.5kms to the water at low tide from the high tide mark. Sand than hand ripple mud.

Anyway, What sort of areas should I target. And what bait.

I own a yabbie pump - have pumped tonnes of mud and end up catching really uggly looking bugs and other strange throw backs to the days of dinosaurs. We don;t have many worms on our beachs, only the ones that cover themselves in sea shells and alike, but many have been killed by cars driving below the high tide mark.

I don't think live bait would work too well becuase it would probably end up being a barra or a salmon I hook up.

Oww Well if anyone has any info for chasing flathead in Darwin or sourounds let me know,
    Thanks in advance

Try soft plastics, most are caught nowdays on these lures and the flatties love em. in fact, if i target flatties, i wont use anything else these days. When fishing for them, find mud/sand around edges of weedbeds or rocks, these fish tend to hold in these areas as well as dropoffs on bars etc. A good plastic to try would b the garry glitter shad squidgy in 3 inch and a jighead that gets the plastic to the bottom. My personal favourite is atomic paddletail in 2 1/2 inch in green gord colour, but hard to find at the moment. Hope that helps
    cheers

Here's a nice one I caught on a Manns 5+ at Airlie Beach last October. Very fat and healthy fish, I didn't measure her because I wanted her back in the water.

a

on a cold night off military jetty caloundra went 86cm but shhhhh slab of fresh mullet

R_K_HILL

Hey Tinlegs, I go up to Airlie all the time. Was that one caught directly out the front of the main street?

got this one on a 4"powerbait glow minnow last year hayes inlet , took a foto with me mate brett holding it , can you guess the size brett is around 6'2"

R_K_HILL

90cm Maybe, but a nice fish anyways..

I have some tsunami 4' shads, red head, with reflecter stuff in the middle of them that I picked up from Kmart. Yet to try them.. But how would they go?

Maybe going to try them tomorrow when I go to Bribie with the family. Was just going to wind in slowly constantly bumbing it along the bottom...

Havn't had much plastics experience!!

Mullet_Musketeer

This is mine - 30 July 2006 off the bank just inside the Luggage Point sunken rockwall on the Brisbane River on a Pumpkinseed GULP 3" minnow grub. Like towing in a tyre on 4lb Fireline and 10lb leader.