Thread: D.I.Y.Rustproofing

sharky

D.I.Y.Rustproofing

G'Day,

I have had a read of the previous forum on electronic rust prevention, I already have one fitted to my Hilux. I want to be sure that no rust will be breaking out in the near future and I am wanting to apply some of the "Normal" rust prevention methods. What are some of the D.I.Y. products and methods in applying the normal stuff like Tyctyl etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Sharky

Re: D.I.Y.Rustproofing

deodorised fishoil
    Proven over decades!

adrian

deseil and sump oil is great leave the 4x4 on the road as the stuff will come out of the drain holes

anzac

Big_Kev

Quote Originally Posted by anzac
    deseil and sump oil is great leave the 4x4 on the road as the stuff will come out of the drain holes

anzac
    And wait for the council to come along and fine you.
    That oil will wash down the drain and to the ocean and kill the fish you want to catch.

hi sharky
    i have a1988 model jackaroo sprayed in all the doors and took the gaurds of and did the shassy and inside the gaurds and the back with tectyl and it works for me lived at port macqaurie for 8 years and now at bargara for a year and no rust has come up .the cars always outside

sharky

Thanks for the info boys......

Hi Guys,
    Years ago I worked for a local council in NSW.. they used to buy in huge tins of Ormanoid Bitumen paint that you can buy in the plumbing section of Bunnings etc. It goes on like syrup but forms a dry skin, I use it on all the surfaces of my boat trailer and box trailer that are exposed to salt / sand.
    Interestingly on my new Patrol I bought a while back I got some rustproofing done and the under carriage was done with this shit that looked exactly the same but cost me $250!

My old man bought an old Pajero when he moved near the beach so we bought 2 one litre tins of the stuff I mentioned and globbed it on the under carriage... worked a treat and is also a bit of a noise reducer too.
    Avoid hot bits obviously, even drips on the tail pipe burn off with a nasty stink!