Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Litres per 100klms

Big_Kev

Re: Litres per 100klms

Quote Originally Posted by neptune
    All you people who don't own land rovers, which you say are the majority, and bag them at every opportunity, must have an inferiority complex to feel so insecure, as to go and study all these aspects of a car they detest. Maybe you are just trying to assure yourself that you did the right thing when you purchased your Japanese pretend 4wd, when deep down inside you know you didn't.
    There it is again assumptions, personal attacks and personal oppinions,rather than something solid to qualify why Landrovers are so much better than the Jappanese 4x4's.
    Seems to be plenty to show cause as to why we should be thinking like we do.
    I don't read to much to say that Land Rovers can't carry out the intended duty as far as a light duty 4x4 goes.
    But I can tell you from personal experience the Defenders just cannot cut the mustard when put to the hard task and the 70 series traybacks run rings around them as they lay broken in heap like a bucket of nuts and bolts.
    Cheers Kev.

Big_Kev

Quote Originally Posted by landy1
    As i said the discovery range has remained almost unchanged since 1989 to the current model. Could you swap bits from your cruiser over a decade ago. Also Landrover is an independent brand they are not owned by Rover they were set up after the war purely to build 4WD's. If your talking about after market work the ADF currently uses defenders with the td5 engine as does all the other government departments. Suspension upgrades would be for the extra equipment the ADF fills them with. Look at the after market equipment industry centred around Landcruiser and Patrol. Why would TJM, ARB etc exist if theyre so damn good. Basically if you want a 4WD then go to a 4WD manaufacturer if you want a car go to a car manufacturer. Stack an out of the box defender against anything short of a Unimog and itll whip its arse. Landrover have proven their product a million times over, some people are just sore losers it seems.
    My favourite bit is that the U.S. Rangers have ditched their Humvees for landrovers AkA the SAS Long range patrol vehicles. As for dismissing the ADF links. The ADF have been using them for the past 40 years, guess that kinda says that theyre satisfied.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Well at least we got some sort of a better response.
    To answer one of your questions Mick as to swapping parts from a cruiser a decade ago the answer is yes definetly. The parts interchangability of the Toyotas is very good.
    After all the 40 series ran for 20yrs, 60 10yrs, 80 8 yrs, the 75 is still going with the 79series and much can still be swapped and was even better with earlier models for about the first 15yrs. It is also a good point that the 75 series running gear was straight from the 45 series only the axel housings are longer. (The body shape had to be changed as no one wanted to drive the 45 series keystone cop look anymore. The Defender still has this look but)
    And as for the defender off the shelf whipping 75 series arse I am afraid that I beg to differ.
    Cheers Kev.

Kev, what did you do to the defender as they seem pretty tough to me

This is getting BORING, im only quoting the leading 4WD magazine for this country in saying the defender whipped the landcruisers arse.
    Anyway some people will never learn so we will just have to learn to live together together. Ive made my choice and im very happy with it.
    Now what was this thread about again.

Big_Kev

Rob I have worked in the minning industry for twenty years and Tojo's have been the main line ancillary vehicle. Nissans are good but the toyotas are tougher.
    Tojos are used as a service vehicle to support the minning fleet within the open cut pit, loaded with tools parts and all sorts of crap, they are driven with no mercy and are flogged 24hrs a day 7 days a week and get airborn constantly. When it rains they are used as the favourite rally car and races against each other are common place (I did not say that and I cannot remember a thing).
    Driving through slop a foot deep all day is not out of the question.
    In 95 we got 5 Defenders new out of the box and from day one we had one of them in the shop with a major repair constantly.(engines, gearboxes, axels, broken chassis etc etc you name it)
    Over a 6 month period they returned an availability of less than 75% the Tojos (even with being older) getting better than 90%.
    Not much has changed with these things by Landrover lovers own addmissions and it is my oppinion that Fred flinstone or the Keystone cops would be at home in one of these.
    You asked for it Kev

I could say exacty the same thing but brands reversed for my line of work, seems to be a lot of landrovers being used up here by MIM aswell. We keep breaking the tojos at work because they shake themselves apart. Its good to see that toyota have finally figured out that coil springs are an option. Pity it took them twenty years.

Big_Kev

Mick I thought you said you had had enough.
    But then again you just couldn't help yourself could you.LOL

i have owned or had as work vechicles
    land drover (probably a 1960 mod holden donk, what a missfit)
    suzuki (3 cyc popper, go any where)
    Cruiser (1986, put a falcon 250, good match go most places)
    Nissan Navara (gutless, good city 4x4) x 2
    mitsibisi L300 van (good on a beach, good for sleeping in, fitted with 2.6 magna motor, had that for 8 years)
    Range rover (dont know yet, fuel cosumption ok, nice on the road and beach, good for towing the boat)
    Now my point is that when I have mistreated any of the above vechiles, I can bust them every time, i have done a lot of miles off road in most of them and i think they all performed well for there designed purpose
    I do regular services and maintance and dont treat them with kid gloves, just enjoy driving them
    which one cost the most to keep on the road (take it off the road and its the same as a boat) and if you dont wanta spend money, buy a bloody car
    cheers
    blaze

I have owned my troopy for over 15 years now and in that time I would not have spent more than $3k on maintenance (oil & filters etc.) and repairs (radiator, water pump & diff). (excluding batteries, have to replace that every 12-18 months). Fuel economy averages 11L per 100k. Who could ask for better vehicle?
    Tony

I think you will find the SAS use a 6 wheel drive v8.Which nearly every major part has been replaced.

I aint gonna change my mind and you wont change yours. bit like pushing crap up a hill isnt it.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

so.....

has anyone got a Lada ?

a good belly laugh about rusky quality engineering should make us all friends again.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

in my job here at the scairport I get the opportunity to compare a lot of cars. We currently have 4 Discoveries in the lockup - in their standard form the underbody setup says they are definitely a more serious offroad vehicle than the brand new t.o.t.r. landcruiser (not a Prado) I compared it to.

have a look someday - there's a lot of serious engineering under there.

Sportfish_5

There is really only one type of 4wd that will not cost you money and I have one

Company car with 100% private use

No fuel,rego,insurance or maintenance and it comes on holiday with me. Just dont tell them about the tow pack I got put on it [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Big_Kev

Don't own a Lada but there is a story or 2 there to be told for sure.
    I can tell you heaps about the Russian built Bellarus tractors as well. I think they are made in the same factory LOL.