Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Whos got what

Re: Whos got what

Good question about the compressor. Id like to know how that ARB unit goes aswell. Do you use yours for lockers and does it have a reserve tank. Im looking closely at an endless air style jobby. (belt driven)
    cheers
    Mick

G'Day Jeff and Mick,

The two deep cycle batteries are not the best set up but on my last big trip through NT, Birdsville and the three ways it worked great. I have 2 x Sealed Maintenance free lead Acid batteries that they use in Nav aids and change over every twelve months. They are about 65Amp/hr each and are in paraelle to each other. I ran 6mm twin sheathed cable from the engine bay down the chassis rail and the batteries are mounted in the shelf system I built in the back. From the passenger side battery in the front I have a power wire running to a heavy relay. Another wire than runs to an ignition feed wire, in my case I took it off the windscreen wiper motor, an earth to the chassis and an in lione fuse on each end. The way it works is that as soon as the igniton is turned on and the car is running charge is being fed down the 6mm cable and charges the two batteries in the back. I have two accessory plugs in the back one direct from the cranking batteries and the other from the two deep cycle. On my nine week trip I just swapped the 90ltr Evakool over every three days so I could rotate the current draw. I also ran power tools on an inverter, ran 3 x Fluro lights and had the HF radio on 24 hrs a day and ran a 12 volt shower every other night and did not run out power once. Overall it worked very very well.

Cheers,

Jamie

Now about your suspension question Jeff,

I changed to Old Man Emu front shocks and dialled up the torsion bars to the ARB recommended specs. Cant tell you what model shocks I put in now and the missus has the car. I can tell u they were not the ones with the additional canister. I than replaced the rear shocks and springs again with Old Man Emu. The shocks have a constant weight rating but I have found the ride to be sensational and the vehicle has been raised just enough to make it look like where it should have been sitting in the first place. I always thought it was a bit low. Something I did not mention before is I also changed the tyres to Coopers ST's and increased the size to 285's. After nearly 30,000 klms and alot of dirt and gravel driving they are unreal and not as noisy on the road as u would think. I am know way into jardcore four wheel driving and I did not want my cruiser to look like a monster truck but I do think it is a far better rig with the suspension and bigger tyres.

The ARB compressor. I purchased the one in the tool box configuration so I could use it on the boat trailer as well without having an extrmely long air hose. I did my trip in September last year an I got a big piece of wire in one of the 285's. I removed the wire and put a plug in it and inflated the tyre from dead flat on the side of the road in the midday heat and the comptresser did not stop once. I also used it reinflate all four tyres anfter letting them right down to get over Big Red. So I give the ARB compressor a big thumbs Up . Being portable means you can move it out of direct sun if need be.

Mick, I onlt use the compressor for inflation of tyres, I don't really have a need for lockers, but I do know that ARB do do a very good Air Locker configuration with I think a resovoir set up.

Hope all that is of help.

Hoo Roo,

Jamie

Gorilla_in_Manila

Jamie
    Thanks for all the info. Got the Coopers also in 60/40 pattern, and I reckon they are great. A bit of noise when on the road with the window down, but with it up, no drama. Gotta to watch the speed around speed trap areas though as the extra diameter tyres adds about 5% to what the speedo is telling me.
    I have been thinking of doing the OLD Man Emu thing myself. The old man has stuck a set of bags on the back, but I've been thinking about getting back and doing the suspension over. Will have to check it out again and see what he thinks after his usage of it.
    I don't know how your original suspension was set up when you got the car, but mine definitely had the back set higher so it had a nose down look when not loaded. Came down to perfectly level when loaded up with trailer or the old mans bushtracker. Seen a few others that seemed to be set at level when unloaded and looked a bit saggy arsed when loaded.
    That good to hear about the compressor. Hope it comes with one of those clip attachements so you dont have to sit there holding the bloody thing on whilst reinflating the coopers. Gee they take a lot of air.
    As I mentioned, I got a 130amphour battery and stuck it under the bonnet.
    (great for giving yourself a jump start if you've left the lights on).
    There is just enough room for it over the passenger side wheel arch but it takes a bit of fitting in, and you've got to get a really good strong holder so there is no chance of it vibrating loose and moving. The accessories plug that I got wired into the back only draws off the deep cycle. Don't think it will be all that good for your crank batteries, but yeah 3 days seems about the limit you get out of the deepcycle unless you are on the move and constantly getting a good charge back into it; little trips a km or so down the beach and back fishing just doesn't keep up with it. We run a trailblazer in the back. (Guess I could run a set of jumper cables over from one crank battery to keep it going if I was desparate.)
    Anyway, Thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Hey guys,
    ive got a 92' Holden Jackaroo. 3.2 petrol auto 7 seater
    I know, its no landy, but it brings me home from wherever i go, and cost me about 45g's less.
    Have been offroad a fair bit, Fraser through some nasty stuff was the most trying, but after going around the stuck troopys and pajeros, i got through no worries! Waddy is soo much fun!
    Used to tow the Hydrofield (2 tonne), and the 575F with no worries, but i did have to fit a trans cooler to stop the trans over heating.
    Towed a big caravan straight for six hours and it asked for more.
    Uses heaps of fuel, but from what i hear, nothing like a cruiser.
    Touch wood, no worries yet mechanically, cept damn fuses, which i had to wait two days to get the main ignition fuse in from sydney, bloody Holden.
    Just has a bull bar, rust proof, and thats about it, using GT Radial tyres. So far, so good.
    Regards
    Darren

Big_Kev

This is my fishing outfit.
    85 model HJ75 diesel trayback, WD40 aircon and H/D suspension for a comfortable ride(not).Good tow hook on the back to pull out the Landy's and bull bar to push them when required LOL .
    The boat is a 4.75 Formosa C/C powered by 60 Yammie 4 stroke.
    Cheers Kev.

Kev

You'll just never learn will you

Next time we have a MG I'll give you a ride in a real car

Brett

Big_Kev

So you finaly got a cruiser then Brett.LOL

lol
    nice come back there Kevay!

Tim

Ill get the snatchem strap dusted off tonight Kev, might need to pull ya off the ramp tomorrow roflmao

Justme

If Kev wanted a "car" he'd buy a "car"

Larry

Big_Kev

So you saw the light and bought a Cruiser too Rob.
    Gee wizz and I thought you landy boys couldn't be converted.
    RAFLMAO

Gorilla_in_Manila

Meet and Greet,
    BBQ for cruiser drivers.
    Coctail frankfurts and fairy bread at the kids table for anyone driving anything else. No red cordial though, we will never get you to bed.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Comeback what comeback, introducing the landrover series 2 anti tank gunbuggy.
    Havent seen toyosan kidney bruiser models of these eh

hi landy
    they come up with all sorts of propulsion methods for landies, turn the turrent
    around for foward and back to current position for reverse LOL
    cheers
    blaze