Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING, WARNING, WARNING - EVAKOOL

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING - EVAKOOL

Just wanted to let everyone out there know about how Evakool works. Evakool makes a pretty good ice box, but I think my tropical is much, much better. I have two Waeco firdges and up until recently I had a 90ltr Evakool fridge/freezer, that was until the compressor and electronic unit packed it in. I rung evakool, they bought up my details on there computer and saw when I purchased it, a touch over three years ago. I was advised to take it to an authorised repairer and was given the impresion that it would be covered under warranty. This is not the case and now I am told that it is going to cost around $1,300 to repair. It can be replaced for around $1,500. I spoke to Peter at Evakool and was basically told to bad to sad the warranty is only two years on the compressor and one year on the electronics. I said to Peter I cannot believe how Evakool could be making any money as they must only be making about $50 to $100 per fridge. Of course this is not the case. You would think a company the size of evakool would offer to replace the required parts at cost price to keep the customer happy and one of there products out there. But no.

Interestingly enough you can buy a Waeco fridge with the exact same compressor and they offer a 5 year warranty. I know what I am going out to buy this weekend.

Hope this helps anyone out there about to buy a fridge.

Cheers.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: WARNING, WARNING, WARNING - EVAKOOL

three years ......

the waeco is also more expensive

Think you might have facts wrong there Chris.

The evakool is $1699 and the similar sized Waeo is only around $1299.

I do not think that three years is old for a fridge by any means

i paid 1200 for my 80L waeco and cant complain it is very good.But I got a feeling that this thread will bring about the Waeco v Engel debate.

Any way I went to buy a evacool esky and have some more interesting facts. I was looking at spending $300 on evacools new yellow plastic esky they have released (100L) but was steered clear of it by BCF as they said they all warp in the sun and have had many returns. He pointed me towards their 100L BCF esky which was cheaper than the same fibreglass evacool and came with a rack in it and $100 cheaper.
    Yeah maybe he was trying to sell BCF stuff but he said it was the same composite as the evacool at a lesser price. He also had one . I have had this for a couple of months and it is the best esky I have ever had. It has a good latch system unlioke some of the ones I have seen on the new evacools I have seen in the shop
    My 2 cents worth

Marty

when your paying that much for a fridge/ freezer wouldnt you want quality and reliabilty? . my 100L snapper freezer cost me $2500 custom built with everything fully welded alloy and marine grade stainless yes it was exspensive but since i was spending a fair bit of money i wanted something that would last me the next 20 years. i have had it over three years now, running 24/7 in the landrover and it hasnt ever missed a beat. i know guys who have had them for a lot longer then that and treat them alot worse.

for $1500 bucks i wouldnt be buying a fiberglass/ plastic fridge freezer.

Marty, I do not wish to start a debate about which fridge is best or better. The engel is an outstanding fridge and is tried and proven over and over again but when you are buying a portable fridge there are so many variables such as weight, size and capacity. When i bought the evakool I went out with the full intentions of buyinf the stainless steel 80ltr engel but went for the evakool because of its weight and overall demensions fitted into the back of the landcruiser better. Now I am put into this situation i am going to buy the 60ltr waeco which is half the size but a bit taller. Same compressor but better warranty and from my experience a better company to deal with.

Surf Sniper, I totally agree with what you are saying but at the end of the day it is what you can afford at the time. The waeco suits all of my needs and the price is good. With the 5 year warranty and the original price paid I think this will do the job.

The only reason I have started this thread is to highlight the many reasons why it is important to fully research an item before buying it.

Thanks for the replies.........................................

what conditions are written in the 5 year warranty ???

The Snappers are expensive but they are fantastic. Have had mine over 10 years and it stays in the tray and I'm on the beach near every day of the year. The fridge works as well as new and the freezer freezes water bottles solid easily on low. Know a bloke (might be a mate of yours actually Neil - Indian Head crew anyway) that rolled his truck and totalled it but the snapper was fine and is in the back of his new cruiser.
    Can't speak highly enough about them.

i had an an evacool fibreglass esky that was 2yrs old and used 4 times as it was won in a comp and kept as a spare.it developed cracks and holes in the gelcoat both internally and externally.it was inspected buy evacool manager and rep and i was told it was my fault.i then took it to an independent fibrglass manafacturer for a report and was told cracking was due to delamination due to problem at time of manufacture.when i spoke to evacool with this information ,i was told that this was there problem but it was up to me ,including all exspenses to get esky to and from there factory,where they would pacth problem areas.i did not accept this offer ,i then was told the rep would ring me when in my area(gold coast) and he would pick up esky.that was 6 months ago, esky still hasnt been picked up and no phone calls .i have just bought 2 downunder eskies and cant say enough about the quality.

cheers
    mick

I have a couple of Downunder 5 stars and they perform heaps better than the Eva cool poly boxes. Since Evacool started getting ther stuff made overseas, there quality has dropped. The fiberglass ones look good but are too heavy and do get cracks, sinker stars. Tropical Ice Boxes make the tropical, Downunder and a Glass one. All good.
    Cheers
    waykel

Quote Originally Posted by michael_k
    i had an an evacool fibreglass esky that was 2yrs old and used 4 times as it was won in a comp and kept as a spare.it developed cracks and holes in the gelcoat both internally and externally.it was inspected buy evacool manager and rep and i was told it was my fault.i then took it to an independent fibrglass manafacturer for a report and was told cracking was due to delamination due to problem at time of manufacture.when i spoke to evacool with this information ,i was told that this was there problem but it was up to me ,including all exspenses to get esky to #and from there factory,where they would pacth problem areas.i did not accept this offer ,i then was told the rep would ring me when in my area(gold coast) and he would pick up esky.that was 6 months ago, esky still hasnt been picked up and no phone calls .i have just bought 2 downunder eskies and cant say enough about the quality.

cheers
    mick
    you complained to the manufacturer for an item you have won??? and 2 years old???

Whats the difference if it is won or bought???????????? Do they use seconds or a lesser qaulity for prizes????????????????????? And I think the point in relation to only being two years old is a very relevent one.

The interesting about Evakool is there was some discussion on some years ago about Eakool's lake of interest in supporting warranty claims and aftermarket service. With the prices paid for things these days about the only thing that really matter is qaulity of the product and service. I think all will agree that unfortunately we are seeing more and more, products that are poor qaulity and over priced.

Do you work for Evakool Pinhead??????????????????????????????????????????

mate..he is talking about a fibreglass esky...no working parts..an esky..how much warranty do you want on an item like that???
    No..I do not work for Evakool...but surely you do not expect a 2 year warranty on an esky??

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by waykel
    I have a couple of Downunder 5 stars and they perform heaps better than the Eva cool poly boxes. Since Evacool started getting ther stuff made overseas, there quality has dropped. The fiberglass ones look good but are too heavy and do get cracks, sinker stars. Tropical Ice Boxes make the tropical, Downunder and a Glass one. All good.
    Cheers
    waykel

tropical boxes are made in malaysia (or so the sticker on mine says). They are tough as. I got a tropical after watching forklifts at Sam's seafoods throwing big versions around on concrete.
    I got one because I decided fibreglass boxes are not suited to the beating fishing hands out. I liked my evakool to much so decided to save it for picnics etc. The evakool i have was won at a straddie classic is four years old & going strong (3 years it was my boat esky). The pins in the rubber latches lossened so I replaced them with adapted rivets. The blokes I know with them have few complaints....

I just had a problem with some Torpedo lights I had purchased from Camp Mart in Springwood.

Basically after a couple of months both lights only put out a glow and I had lost my receipt and after 8 months I decided to send Evakool an email and was told they would still have a look at them for me with no receipt

But then I found my receipt anyways sent them down and was told that the bulbs were at fault and no covered by warranty.

But they replaced the bulbs for me anyway as a good will gesture and I couldn't be happier.

I too also own a 47ltr Evakool fridge which has pretty much been good to me and the only grudge I have is against the sub contractor in Burleigh heads who appeared to use my fridge over the weekend as when we went to pick it up it stunk of off fish...........Yuck!!!!

Rang evakool who gave me the trick of using vanilla essence to get rid of the smell which worked a treat.

But yes every business has it's good and bad stories.