Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pajero Petrol V Prado Petrol

Sportfish_5

Re: #Pajero Petrol V Prado Petrol

Quote Originally Posted by litenup
    Typical responses from Toyota owners who have never owned a Pajero. Having driven both and towed with both, I wouldn't get a Prado. The Petrol Pajero will use 20 lit per 100k towing and at higher speed. But I think a diesel is way to go in current fuel price stupidity. Cheers Pete
    Ive had both now and I wouldn't go near a Pajero. The new Prados with the 4.0lt V6 absolutley hammer - power to burn

Lucky it came with a company fuel card but

Cheers

Greg

Re:  Pajero Petrol V Prado Petrol

Greg you traded your patrol in? > >
    Should be in the Rove --what the segment
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sportfish_5

Quote Originally Posted by -spiro-
    Greg you traded your patrol in? > >
    Should be in the Rove --what the #segment
    Lease up - traded up

Went up to Fraser a couple times with some friends that own Pajeros. I own a Prado. All autos and petrol ( diesel was prefered but was new but I purchased 2nd hand). Only thing separated us was driver ability. Pajeros are more comfy and finished better inside but I bought the Prado because I was going to hang on to it for 10 years or more. Toyotas have been good to me (Hilux 8yrs & Forerunner 11years ... neither cost me much over the years). Prados are heavy on the fuel though. Have look at the new Hilux dual cab. Mate of mine bought one recently ... awesome. Cheers

the prados will soon have the new TD from the hilux which will be awesome. If i was to buy a petrol prado, i would use the price difference between the petrol and TD to install an injected LPG kit. This would make a fantastic vehicle.
    Don't get confused with the old carby gas systems. The new injected kits are light years ahead.
    I wouldn't own a pajero.

you probably can't go wrong with either, however I would go the Prado. Unless you can get a pajero for a really good price. I recently bought a 2004 prado - 3 weeks ago with 28,000 k on it - very happy with the power of the V6 auto. It absolutely sh*ts all over my 2003 V6 auto SR5 Hilux. I took it to my usual camping spot first weekend had it and couldn't believe how much better on sand it is than the hilux. I towed a loaded trailer with skinny tyres (was like I was ploughing the beach) and did it easy at 40-60km/h. A mate of mine bought his new 4x4 camping trailer and he was busting to get 40km/h from his V6 Pathfinder (few years old) - I through on the back and pulled 80km/h with more to go - they just haul. 100km/h on beach (without trailer) like I was on the road. I can't get the Hilux past 80km/h. This isn't how I usually drive on the beach, just comparison purposes.
    I was very surprised with how nice the Prado is - particularly the GLX - I also really like the 180L fuel tank - great idea. Just don't like the feeling on your wallet when you put in over $200 in fuel.

I own two Pajero's. Mine is a 1993 model 3.0 ltr V6 5 speed manual and the wife's is a 1995 twin cam 3.5 ltr Auto. Neither of the two cars have given any troubles and mine in particular over the 5 years I have had it has never let me down. I use it as a work vehicle and it averages up to 150 klms a day and to date has 350,000 klms clocked up still on the original engine and no signs of wear as yet. I have just come back from Fraser and had a full load and a trailer in tow and passed a bogged Prado on my way out of the Noosa Northshore. I am not rubbishing Toyota's as I think they are also a fantastic vehicle but given the reliable track record in the two Pajero's I am happy to stick with them. Both Prado and Pajero's are great 4x4's in my opinion and you cannot go wrong with either. The fact I have learned in 4x4 situations is that inexperience is the thing that normally gets people bogged. Stick with correct tyre pressures etc and you will be fine. I have a cousin whos hubby has the latest Prado and he was also at Fraser with me and let me say the fuel consumption comparisons we did were way in my favour.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Definitely the Pajero for towing and definitely the DiD. In all models of the Pajero you get the full traction control systems which you have to buy the top model of the Prado for. The difference in price will buy you all the off road goodies you want and probably still give you change. Also your lease costs will be considerably lower and don't believe the rubbish about resale value as you need to actually work out the cost to you over the period you own it, not the percentage for resale. Until the Prado has a better diesel it doesn't compare to the DiD. As far as whether it is a separate chassis or not, unless you plan to try and get a massive lift then there is no advantage. If anything the monocoque in the Pajero is stronger and has been thoroughly tested in snatch recoveries and the like. The auto in the new Pajero is far better than the Prado as it has the ability to change semi manually. Toyota seem to have better marketing and buy off the 4wd magazines better so if that sways you then go for it.

I have the 99 model petrol Pajero and have kept it for longer than any other car since I am so happy with it. In that model the Pajero has bigger and stronger diffs and axles, a stronger gear box and a better 4wd system (allows everything from 2wd to low range locked centre diff). The new Pajero is pretty much the same in that area.

Now let's see how many flames I get from the Toyota supporters .

Now let's see how many flames I get from the Toyota supporters
    i don't think you'll get any flames. They are both good 4x4s - nothing wrong with either of them. Just up to personal choice which one you buy. I bought a 2004 Prado a few weeks ago for $45k - probably could have got a new Pajero for the price. If I had the time and could be bothered driving 15 minutes to the Mitsu dealer I might have ended up with one instead. I was happy with the Prado and test drove 3 cars and ended up with two (got the wife one too) - I love cars and I could spend months test driving, however I have realised my time is valuable and when you find something good at a fair price, GO FOR IT.
    Plus I'd rolled my Hilux the weekend before and needed something to take camping - amazing how quickly you can organise something when motivated the afternoon I picked it up, attached the trailer and we were off.
    here's a photo
    [img][/img]

Quote Originally Posted by cooky
    Now let's see how many flames I get from the Toyota supporters #
    Plus I'd rolled my Hilux the weekend before and needed something to take camping - amazing how quickly you can organise something when motivated # #the afternoon I picked it up, attached the trailer and we were off.
    here's a photo
    [img][/img]
    And it sure is a nice photo of the Prado. I have to say I am a Pajero owner (have 2) but I can't say a bad thing about the Prado. They look great, drive great, but can be thirsty so I am told. Happy motoring.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Timj
    Now let's see how many flames I get from the Toyota supporters # .
    Hey Tim how the heck are you?

Remember my Turbo Deisel 2800 '97 Pajero? Clocked $260,000 up on her this week, and the only thing I have replaced is the glow plugs ( apart from normal routine Oil/ Fuel filters) Oh.... And I now have a bumper sticker that reads "I'd rather push my Mitsubishi than drive a Toyota" Seriously, how could I not be happy with how good this car has been??? New shocks in the back are overdue now, but I'll get poodroo to help put a pair in just like he did with his.

Scalem

further to my earlier email about my Hilux rolling (friends driving skills or lack of). I have been notified it should be ready to pick up tomorrow - $12000+ damage and only rolled onto the side.

happy that it wasn't written off though

Hi Scalem,

Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember the car. Good to see it is still going strong. We have missed you up on Fraser, Poodroo was even complaining that he was the only relative of Franks left. We should all organise a trip into the forests for a bit of fun one day.

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Timj
    Hi Scalem,

Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember the car. Good to see it is still going strong. We have missed you up on Fraser, Poodroo was even complaining that he was the only relative of Franks left. We should all organise a trip into the forests for a bit of fun one day.

Tim.
    What and get more dirt on my "new" tyres? Lol Count me in.

Poodroo

I own and drive a 2004 petrol 120 series Prado. On sand it is simply awesome. Fuel consumption is actually suprisingly good considering the power and performance available.

I had the enjoyable experience of pitting my stock Prado against a very heavily mofied DI-D Pajero on Nth Stradbroke. The Paj has been extensively modified for long range desert touring and has certainly done a lot of it. In fact, anyone who may have some connection to Op Lock in Ballina would probably know exactly the vehicle I am referring to. Now... before this goes any further.. I need to say that I was preparing myself for some real humiliation.... I mean, this Paj has had an obscene amount of money spent on it. My Prado was pretty well stock. We took on some of the fire trails etc in the middle of the island. Those of you that might know Straddie a little better would know there are some decent sand tracks with very steep inclines etc. Then there was the beach, with an incoming tide. Well can I honestly tell you.. we left that Paj in our wake. No substitute for Petrol Power and lots of it, in the sand. I must add insult to injury, as I truly believe the Paj driver was never going to do his vehicle justice. In the hands of a reasonable driver, tht machine should have been unstoppable. None the less, it was a lot of fun watching that Paj shrinking in my rear vision mirror in the soft sand of the main beach.

Without any comparisons.... one of the things I like about the Prado is the 180ltr tank... I've seen people wrtiting that its a thirsty vehicle, yet on the Highway, I get some remarkable range from mine. Last year I Drove from Toowoomba Qld to Albury/Wodonga before refuelling. That was with a family of four and all of our gear for a trip to the snow.

The difference in running costs between petrol and diesel are negligible once you weigh it all up. Especially if you are not keeping your vehicle for more than 4 yrs. I like the performance of the petrol. Overtaking is not an issue. (in terms of running costs alone, I think the Paj DI_D wins hands down with its low parts cost and service intervals)

Each to their own, but I know where I'd put my money if I were looking to buy.