Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are tritons like

What are tritons like

I am looking at this little triton ute. Its in the price range I want and I just got off the phone to the owner who is an old pommy pensioner that has owned it since new, no joke!

If something leaks or plays up he bolts a new one on. It's only a 2.5L diesel though so I gather this will be as slow as a wet week? He says 11km/L and it's got a 75L tank though. Almost 800ks to a tank!

Forgot to ask him how many k's was on it and how many people are interested/looking etc coz i'm a bit blurry after a big day at work.

I've always been sceptical on Mitsubishis coz of the problems they are having in aus but does anybody have any input on this model/age/price/engine?

cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------------------

MITSUBISHI TRITON UTE 4WD - ONE OWNER! 1989, diesel, new tyres, waterpump, timing belt, radiator fan, master cylinder, brakes and AC compressor, has bullbar, towbar, sidesteps, roofrack, canopy, extra spare wheel & tyre, no oil leaks in transmission, engine or diff. Well maintained. $7900 negotiable.

Re: What are tritons like

[quote author=themooks link=1158406925/0#0 date=1158406920]

If something leaks or plays up he bolts a new one on. #

going by your list,,, its only the subframe to go

It's only a 2.5L diesel though so I gather this will be as slow as a wet week? #He says 11km/L and it's got a 75L tank though. #Almost 800ks to a tank!

lets see,,, mines a 2.6 ltr,,, 55 ltr tank,,, been used lately as 90% highway,,, and i get no more than 420kms

I've always been sceptical on Mitsubishis

thats good,,,,stay sceptical,,,,
    [quote]
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

thanks choppa,

all i really needed though was 'no mate, piece of crap stay away from it'

All the quotes are a good way to belittle a bloke.

hey mooks,,, don't wake up and have a go at the reply mate,,,,

you answered your own questions with the list of replacement parts,,,plus its a 1989 to boot,,,

all this for,,,,,,how much again???????,,,oh sorry thats right 8 grand,,,

going by the pic,, its in tidy shape,,, but as we know,,,(or should know),, buying second hand cars,,,especially those that are 17 yrs of age,,,can be an expensive hobby,,,,

i must admit,,,the owner seems to be extremley ""saftey concious,,"" ,,extra spare wheel shows that
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Talk him down a coupla grand and you will have a good vehicle that will serve you well.
    I have owned 5 Mitsubishis now 3 Magnas 1 Outlander and 1 Triton and have never had any problems with any of them.

The Triton is a 2.8 Diesel naturaly aspirated a bit gutless on pickup but will sit on 100km/hr all day, I use it for deliveries 3 racks and carry up to 1 tonne and it still rides and feels safe at 100km/hr. always manage to get between 650-700 klm out of a 70 ltr tank.

Nothing to be sceptical about.

I am sceptical about Toyota but then I have never owned one.

I am guessing the Mitsubishi sceptics probably have never owned one.

Thats my 2c worth
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Pitsta

Just a healthy debate .! I HAD 2 mitsubishi van's both done gear boxes &
    diff's 150'000 k . Before that had a hiace van bluw the motor at 310'000
    Do the math & becarefull on what ever you choose ........

MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsta
    Just a healthy debate .! I HAD 2 mitsubishi van's both done gear boxes &
    diff's 150'000 k . Before that had a hiace van bluw the motor at 310'000
    Do the math & becarefull on what ever you choose ........

MARK #
    Vans don't count they are rough, top heavy, gas swilling, tipping over b@st@rds of things &gt; and should not be on the market &gt; p!ssy little 1200cc motors in most of them &gt; loaded up to the hilt with about 4 tonne of gear and you wonder why they sh!t themselves &gt; &gt; &gt;.
    Sorry about the whinge but I am very pasionate about Mitsubishi I will never own anything else.
    And also a firm believer that VANS should not be on our roads, after having to cut a mate out of one after it tipped over

Hi all

I had a 93 triton dual cab 2.4 turbo

I could tow my old webster twinfisher 4.7 no worrys
    or the trailer loaded with five m'bikes and all camping gear and still sit on 100klms easy as
    in saying this the only problem was it overheated on some of the bigger hills

just my 2c worth

cheers

chuckaroo

Got a '97 triton dual cab ,been up the cape numerous times fishing , worked around the cape and west qld living and working out of it.
    V6, 450 per 60ltrs but I like the power, tows my 5m plate boat no probs , done Cairns to Coffs a few times , and once in 22 hrs [lucky no fines] , So I'm happy.
    If I were to get a new {2nd hand} 4wd I would look for a f250. But don't need to get to off track now.

Greg
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .

Bill_Klein

never had a problem with mine upgraded recently to the 05 model and just got back from the territory ( 2 weeks and 6500kliks later ) never missed a beat

Bloody good trucks i reckon

I've got 05 model turbo diesel model great car.Pulls my 565 stacer along road @ 110klms easily.For the prices they are you can't go past them

My 2 cents worth - I have had my Triton for a few years now (See it in the FOR SALE section).

It is a 99 model club cab 4X4 3.0L V6, and I love the power. It has stacks of power off-road, delivered from way down in the rev range. Mine is well maintained, and has not really caused me any dramas. I have replaced the windscreen wiper motor and a radiator and set of hoses but that's about it. Anything else that was done to my rig was enhancements, not repairs.

It can get thirsty depending on the load and your right foot. Having said that, I think the power being available when you want / need it is definitely worth the extra juice. The most loaded I have had mine was towing a loaded 4.2 Quintrex Dory, the tray loaded up with a heap of camping gear, all the associated 'stuff' like pushbikes, surfboards, chainsaw, etc. This ute does it all with no dramas.

The downsides are obviously the fuel usage (but it is a V6 petrol so it should be expected), and the lack of wheel articulation with the IFS. Mind you, I have not done anything extreme offroad in mine, so have not really felt the effects of this too much.

I an very happy with my Triton, but I wanted a Troopy for camping adventures. If I was sticking with a ute I would definitely hang on to my Triton.

Cheers.

Ed.

I was looking around for a 4wd dual cab and researched for nearly 8 months. Ifound one in April! ( An impulse buy really :-) )
    My criteria is bound to differ to yours but.....
    1. Has to be fuel economical. preferably diesel.
    2. Dual Cab
    3. Later than 2000 model and low k's
    4. Had to cost less than $10000.
    5. Service costs must be reasonable.
    6. Parts readily available and reasonably priced.

Guess what! I found one!
    2001 Model., 79000 on the clock 2.2l Turbo diesel.
    Dual cab ute #Style side tray with canopy.
    No dents
    No scratches.
    And... 7 Months rego!
    As I said, had it since april, and have had no dramas.
    Have had it checked over thoroughly by a local diesel mechanic, to confirm it was as nice as I thought.. It was...

The price?? $9500

Having driven it since april I can report that I am getting 9-10 litres per hundred k's

I think you can get a better deal! Certainly a younger model at around the same price!

It is possible to get the car you want at the price you want if you're prepared to research and wait!

Good luck!
    Jason

PS. It's a Tata Telcoline! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonT
    I was looking around for a 4wd dual cab and researched for nearly 8 months. Ifound one in April! ( An impulse buy really :-) )
    My criteria is bound to differ to yours but.....
    1. Has to be fuel economical. preferably diesel.
    2. Dual Cab
    3. Later than 2000 model and low k's
    4. Had to cost less than $10000.
    5. Service costs must be reasonable.
    6. Parts readily available and reasonably priced.

Guess what! I found one!
    2001 Model., 79000 on the clock 2.2l Turbo diesel.
    Dual cab ute #Style side tray with canopy.
    No dents
    No scratches.
    And... 7 Months rego!
    As I said, had it since april, and have had no dramas.
    Have had it checked over thoroughly by a local diesel mechanic, to confirm it was as nice as I thought.. It was...

The price?? $9500

Having driven it since april I can report that I am getting 9-10 litres per hundred k's

I think you can get a better deal! Certainly a younger model at around the same price!

It is possible to get the car you want at the price you want if you're prepared to research and wait!

Good luck!
    Jason

PS. It's a Tata Telcoline! :-)

Sorry mate but you got ripped big time, the reality is that the Tata's are just cheap nasty crap. There are 2 of them in my town and both of them spend most of the time broken down. One was bought brand new and has had almost everything replaced and or rebuilt and it doesn't even have 80,000ks on it yet. the other was 2nd hand low ks and has given all the same trouble, parts are not readily available except of a dodgy dealer in Brisvegas.
    Buyer beware