Thread: HiClone

HiClone

Lets hear your thoughts on HiClones, do they realy work?
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Re: HiClone

Not the 1st time this topic has started up.

All depends on your car.

The 2 I installed in my 91 Turbo Diesel cruiser work. Full Stop. Dropped fuel economy from mid to high 13s back to mid to high 12L per hundjy. Slight, very slight but did notice a small performance boost from 2300rpm to 2900rpm. But in Td's that can make a big difference. Best described as removing your roof tray and luggage at 100kph. Just something extra is there.

I'd never put them in my old mans Magn 3.5L or mums lancer as youd never get your money back.

Guy at work. (We are in an NRMA workshop) put one on his Triton N/A diesel and loves it. More power and fuel econemy improved greatly. We drive Tritons all day up the same hills so we should know. But it dosnt mean a thing sometimes.

Heard a bloke do it to a 2.8L diesel Hilux and sent it back for his money back guarentee. Obvisouly not all cars work and not all are worth it.

Depends what car and how much you use it. Guess you could always give it go and if you didnt like they will refund.

What do you plan to put it on?

Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

Thanks RCG008
    Want to try one on a N/A Triton ute funnily enough.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

I have three fitted to a TD landcruiser 80 series. There is one either side of the turbo and one on the engine side of the air cleaner. They work really well. I get improved economy (by approx. 1 - 1.5 litres per 100km), more torque hence more flexible driving at low revs and smoother midrange. Highly recommended. No downside at all.

Put one in my brothers 2.4 hilux and the wifes 2.6 rodeo,no noticable diff.
    But tell me how long does it take to pay for itself when you put 3 in?

You know I would rather put a 12 volt inline bilge blower on.
    Has to be better than a Hi-clone.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

If a simple piece of twisted metal could improve fuel economy and power you would think the manufacturers would use them instead of spending billions on research.
    The only reports i've seen testing the devices showed worse fuel consumption and power. All these tests however were on petrol injected engines iirc.
    I could be convinced that they improve airflow on a diesel engine however as you don't have a throttle body butterfly to contend with.

Kev

Friend of mine had one fitted to his 2006 petrol Prado for no difference in economy at all.

Trialed one on my nad cruiser & reduced power & increased fuel consumption .....
    If you really sat down & thought about what this product is supposed to do , I cannot see how it would be beneficial ...
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # The concept is to create turbuleance in the air flow to get better scavenge in the combustion chamber , Theory is great ! #better scavenge = better fuel burn = reduced fuel consumption & increased power ...
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Practice would show that you introduce a restriction to the air flow in the inlet system thus reducing flow , the turbulence created is negated as the air enters the inlet tube,passes the throttle body , enters the inlet manifold which the majority are reasonably rough cast thus changing air flow pattern & creating drag .It is then sent in several directions , suffers another pressure drop due to vaccum from cylinders drawing air , flow changes again as the air passes over the valve face into the combustion chamber.....
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # This scenario is for a diesel engine naturally aspirated... A turbo charged engine may benefit , a petrol powered engine may get better air fuel mix if the hiclone is fitted after / below the carby # ....
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Right I had my vent ........... Mal

grenadier

i heard a snorkel is a better investment and does the same thing by increasing air intake to your engine

please correct me if i am wrong

"If a simple piece of twisted metal could improve fuel economy and power you would think the manufacturers would use them instead of spending billions on research."

Fair call. They do and they dont. I bet when they designed the turbo cruiser motor in 1990 they really didnt care. It pulled hard was big and torquey. Fuel prices wernt an issue. If I owned a current model Tdi I wouldnt bother either. Simply I return better fuel economy and smoother reving.

Yeah it may take a little bit to pay back but I'm happy. Just for the smoother revving and I also run a Snorkel.

Like i said earlier and even the guy who sold it to me. Some cars just wont work. Others love em. And I just wouldnt waste my time on newer cars. Mind you I also know someone that runs one on an ecotec commodore motor who travel big distances. And he loves it.

I dont know. I only know what it did for me.
    Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

i have a mate that fitted 2 into his ford xr6 ute his trip computor tells him he gets a xtra 180 km per tank ,when fitting these things to a 4wd u need to remember that a snorkel helps along with a uni filter (finer filter more air better cleaning )and the placment where u put ur hyclone, 2 is better than 1, i have a similar product on my paj 3ltr consumption is not better but pulling power is better we all know the paj motors need all the help they can get

I wouldn't be real keen to put one on top of my carby or throttle body with all those little nasty metal bits!!!!

i fitted one years ago to my old 80 series diesel. One didn't make much of a difference but when i fitted the second one i went from getting 6 kms per litre towing a heavy van to low 9's. So i think it was well worth it. Buy 2 or buy nothing at all is my opinion. I did the same thing for my partner's car, commodore at the time (VS) 15% better. Same procedure also, tried 1 but ended up buying 2. I will continue to purchase these things for each new car i buy.