Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I set-up my ute tray to sleep in?

How can I set-up my ute tray to sleep in?

I have a blow up mattress, a few tarps, poles, ropes etc.

I want to setup the mattress in the back of my ute to sleep in during camping trips (overnighter, or two), I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good way to do this.

I was thinking have a tarp under the mattress for protection, and then have a few poles aroun the outside with a tarp over the top in a kind of A-frame (more like an upside down U-frame) shape.

My problem comes with sealing the back and front.

The cab end I could get a smaller tarp, join it to the U-frame and tie it to the chassis. How can I join the tarps to be reasonably rainproof?

The front I was thinking the same, maybe pinning one lower corner to the ground, and the top two to the u-frame again, leaving a triangular flap to act as a door.

My girlfriend will be with me so privacy is quite important. Plus I want it to be as rain-proof as possible.

Another option is to erect a 'car-port' over the whole car, but I dont know if I can get one that will be sealed on all four sides. Does anyone know if I can get one like that?

Ideas?

Re: How can I set-up my ute tray to sleep in?

Is the setup to keep out midgies/mozzies? Or just for privacy.

I set up a lean to and back the truck under it.

You could buy a dome tent and set it up on the tray (if you really want to sleep there). There getting pretty cheap thesedays (and with after x mas sales coming up)

The more I think about this I think getting a tent is going to be cheaper and easier.

Ya should be able to get a tarp big enough to tie off to ya front end, peg down along the sides, maybe a couple of poles out the back just to keep it up, i'd think. Out of curiosity, what sort of ute we talkin, as i've got an old fibreglass canopy to suit an xtra cab ute, fits my courier (style side)would probably also fit rodeo, hilux.

a_big_red_1

mini, where are you located, i have a canopy i want to get rid of very very cheap

steel frame, alloy checker plate top and canvas sides, its been sitting in the back yard for the last 16months, im in cairns

Daz

Go to Super Cheap & have a look at the carports they have... They have all 4 sides, and you should be able to set it up over the whole ute.

The car is a Holden Rodeo with the tray back. Located in Gladstone.

I think I will end up buying a carport and using it as a secondary shelter, I dont think any setup I use will keep the mozzies out enough.

Auto barn and super cheap sell the car ports with enclosed sides. I thnk you can even close in the front and back, bit pricey at around 200 bucks though.

I just had a steel canopy built for my Patrol. Because I'm in Tvl I'm not to fussed about the rain. Get some mozzie netting to drape on the inside with a tarp off to one side with a wooden floor built in. Have a long drawer/table built in alos for extra storage.

Planning on having tonneau material for the sides.

Mate just sleep under a tinny.

You lost me in the third paragraph about inverted U's and poles and tarps. How long you intending on camping for? Buy a realitively good tent for about $250 (make sure its way bigger than what you think you need and that you can stand up straight in it) or buy yourself a double swag for quick overnight sleeps. Nice and comfortable, private and keeps out the mozzies and midgys.... Done

$50 for a 2 man tent waterproof, mozzie proof, private all in one
    Job done
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

I used to stretsch a tarp over the cross bar near the cab and drape it over the end of the tray, securing it with rope/pegs to the ground. The missus & I used it like that a few times. Although, speeky suspension is a problem when camping in a group!LOL

We now have a 3 room tent, one for us, one for the gear and one for the kids. I also have a swag for when I just go with the boys.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Bill_Klein

mate a mate of mine used an on trampoline frame turned it upside down and put a tarp over it .It was a one tonner alloy tray but u could cut it down to suit what ever size

Buy swag with good a self inflatable matress

It's all I use on the back of my rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by reel_killer
    Buy swag with good a self inflatable matress

It's all I use on the back of my rodeo.
    Nice easy answer to an easy problem. Double swag.