Thread: New Fishing Record set by Vic1

New Fishing Record set by Vic1

Well what a great day it was saturday! Weather was fantastic, and was out running across the bay over to the 4 beacons by about 5:30ish am... Was fishing with Vic1 (John) for the first time, and was in his 5m Seafairer (sp?) C.Console.

Great run out there, and we started jigging for livies. Didn't get any at the beacons (Which was a litte odd), but his mate turned up and handed us 6 (Thankfully!!!)

Anyway, anchored up and started the cube trail. A livie each was deployed, and it didn't take long for my reel to start screaming. Lean back into it, lots of weight on the end, BANG! Bugger..... Hook pulled. Next livie out, reel goes again 10 minutes later, lean back into it, lots of weight on the then end, BANG!! BUGGER!!!! > Bitten off clean.... Both runs lasted about 10-20 seconds only....

About 20 minutes later saw the reel going bananas with a lot of the 20lb braid coming off the reel very quickly. Slowly increase the weight on the spool with my thumb and the reel is still in freespool. I had loosened the drag as well, but didn't want to click it in until I had hooked up properly (The previous drops had annoyed me!) The run probably lasted 40-60 seconds before the hook pulled again!!! When it felt the weight kicking in though, it lit the afterburners and just took off! It must have decided it needed to be a Redcliffe 30 seconds later... John was calling it for a Longtail, and whatever it was, I want to go back for more!!!!

John then got a good run which fought down deep, but the hook pulled for him too... We were down to one livie left, and so we dropped the bait jig over for the hell of it while the last livie was out. Only came up a with a grinner on the jig, but we put a fillet of it onto John's hook to give it a shot... Nothing was happening, so we up anchored, and went back to the beacon to get some more livies. We changed to a bigger sinker (After we had lost all the smaller ones) and we're getting 2-3 livies each drop... Turns out we just had too small a sinker on before. Anyway, had a few yellowtails in the well along with one slimy, when John told me he had something interesting happening with the bait jig... He wound it in, and we found he had hooked a 48cm Estuary Cod in the very corner of the mouth!!! How it stayed hooked I'll never know! So into the esky he went, and I think it may possibly be a new record Not bad for a $2 bait jig.... he he he

Caught up with FishinMission (Jay) in his new boat. DAMN that is a nice looking boat Jay!

Anyway, went back and put the livies in, and only had one run after about an hour (Which also pulled the hook!) Not impressed at all... Had to pull the pin as the time was escaping us, and we each had a lot of booze to be consumed that night, so we headed back in.

All-in-all a top day, despite the lack of fish. Will definately be back out there! Thanks again for a great day out John! Top day with top company... That's what fishing (and Ausfish) is all about!

Re: New Fishing Record set by Vic1

New IGFA record maybe....!

I think he stole your top Jay!!!

I did have a chuckle at the level Jay goes too to make sure he gets livies.... He's the only person I've ever seen/heard of using a TLD to catch the buggers!

good report dan and nice pics. pitty about the bust offs.

jay isn;t the only one to jig livies with a TLD i have and i know a few others who have as well ive got to go chasing the whiting with the tld some time soon

better luck next time with the bust offs

cheers phil
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

I did have a chuckle at the level Jay goes too to make sure he gets livies.... He's the only person I've ever seen/heard of using a TLD to catch the buggers!
    I've got two mates that bought Trinidads just for bait jigging and one of them has a Tiagra 20 as a teaser reel.

the water looks lovely in the pic of jays boat

twodogsfishing

Ive often wondered about the possible by catch when using a bait jig, especially when hooking up with a few at a time all that action in the water...any ways few weeks back i caught a 15lb tuna, mac perhaps that had a few of the the jigs hooked in its flesh, would've been an intersesting few seconds for the unsuspecting fisher person

We fished the beacons yesterday, found the bait but nothing else ...Had a heap of livies go off as you mentioned but I think it was sharks as they were biting through 60lb leader and they were just grabbing the baits and taking slow steady runs north until we were cut off.... Saw one guy get a Mack tuna but thats about it for the day !

One time it ate 3 live baits in one sweep... ...

No surface activity other then baby bonito which were everywhere!!!!

Was a beaut day on the water though

The possibility of by catch is enormous let me tell you.
    Fishing the Trench a couple of seasons back and couldn't find any live bait.
    Drifting along merrily not really paying much attention with the jig rod in my hand when I thought I got a snag until I feal a serge of power go through the line and the threadline starts screaming at a bolistic rate. The line starts spraying water as it cuts a path running up alongside the boat heading for the bow. Next thing I know a metre plus Baby Black jumps about 15m from the boat hits the after burners and thats the end of that.
    Awesome.
    Paul