Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: COBIA BAG OUT

COBIA BAG OUT

Planned to go chase some doggies this morning, so headed out of bribie bout 6.am. Got out the front and started heading NE. Saw plenty of small tuna schools but the mackeral didn't look like playing the game.
    Got to the beacons up near hamilton patches and hooked up on a couple of small doggie's which was looking promising, but they soon went quiet.
    We decided to head out a bit wider to try a patch of rock that we've nailed a few cobia on before. This was looking promising after Jay's report yesterday .
    Sounder looked fantastic and first drop saw foxy and myself hooked up on cobes. Got even better as half a dozen followed them in. So anchored up and started fighting cobes for the next couple of of hours.
    As we only brought out a small bag of pillies cause we were supposed to be chasing macks on lures the bait soon ran out just as more cobes turned up. Lucky Dave had a stash of LUCKY PHIL SLUGS, cause first cast with one saw the cobes back in there feeding frenzy. Unfortunately the hooks kept straightening and we could only managed to land cobes up to about 10kg.
    So we filled the mackeral box and headed home to a very excited family and friends.

Hooked up close

Re: COBIA BAG OUT

Dave hooked up

The result small cobe

The lucky phil slug fight on 20lb line

The result

The catch

Top catch of cobe, how many in that esky-------my geuss is.......sh..loads. Hope that cobe Dave taste as good as your Reds
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You found my rock didn't you > . They are heaps out there lately and a couple of good size which 50lb couldn't stop. Looks like you got some serious filleting work ahead of you.
    Cheers, Jay

holy crap, good work guys, is that one following the one hooked?

Chris, there is 20 in there, but we caught probably 30.
    I reckon Dave will enjoy eating the cobia tonight then eating the reds last week.

Jay, I think it might be a different rock .. I know what you mean about the 50lb cause thats all I had with me today which resulted in some bust offs.

Yeah scott they always like to school up around the one thats hooked.

I gotta get out there!!! just the pillies for bait?

Nice fish boys, the cobes seem to be thick this year in the bay. good fun for a easy trip.

Luke

Scott,
    Started with whole pillies on gangs ,then went to half pillies on single 8'o hook. But when there thick you could use sqiud or better yet, livies.

thats what i call a box
    full of cobies

cheers pete

awesome
    some good snaps as well
    dale