Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: COBIA BAG OUT

Re: COBIA BAG OUT

Is it just me or are 30 Cobes in one session being just a little greedy.

Its just you, the bag limit is 10PP which they kept, nothing greedy about releasing another 10 is there

Pharq off people .

I agree mackmauler. I'm getting a little tired of seeing people get cut down on this site when they have done the right thing. Good on you guys for having a great session. Bet that trip is burnt into the memory banks forever....

<><

Good work fellas. The other day my dad and I went to the fishmarkets and saw one guy bring in over a ton of cobia 8-10kg. Not having a go at the pros thats there job, but our catches as recreational guys have to be put in perspective. Especially the number of trips we make for a couple of fish. Better off going hard on the cobes cause they generally get less commercial and rec pressure than other species. Thats what limits are for- to reach

30 fish at say 8kg each = 240kg whole = 180kg filletts. It might be legal but I think it is going a bit far.

Are you saying the bag limit is now 15PP

Look mate I am tired of people that want people that can catch good fish in good numbers to relace their fish just because you can't catch them they are with in their legal limit and they shouldn't be hassled if you don't like it then tuff tittys

darryl_l

One has to laugh at a few of the comments on this thread as you will find some of the people have very different views if it is another species that is caught. Those people should know who I am talking about.

So long as people are not breaking the law then there should be no problem in people BAGGING OUT regardless of the species and whether they keep all of them hey everyone.

Darryl L

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Valid point Darryl. Marlin anyone?

cheers,

steve

darryl_l

LOL scuttlebutt,

I don't know what you mean

Darryl L

Fair enough boys, If you have an opinion and don't express it then what is the point of these forums. By the way Chemmy I caught 11 cobes at Curtain at the begginning of Oct and kept 2.

Badone

I kind of agree with you. Bag limits shouldn't be a target to strive for but a maximum limit, it all comes down to common sense on what is a "reasonable" limit, and if people carry on filling up their eskys like that one day they will regret it...

To think that recreational fishing has a minimal impact is shortsighted at best, and the usual excuse of pro fishers taking more is as well.

I'll get off the soap box now, I have got that off my chest. I won't bother anyone anymore with my rants, take it as you will, it's only my personal opinion.

It's good to see people having a fun time on this post, foxy and I sure did when we were out fishing.

For those that can't read THE BAG LIMIT IS 10 PER PERSON.
    For general information the fish went to a lot of people, and I actually didn't keep any, call me stupid but I would rather see other people get a feed of fish before myself because these are people who ,either can't go fishing or are restricted to rivers and creeks, love eating fish but are restricted in getting it.
    If you have a good spot that you know you can get a feed on then you can probably fish it once every couple of months and maybe you might still be getting a feed from this spot in 20years from now.
    Now if you have several of these spots then you could probably rotate it over several months then maybe my kids can fish it when there my age, and if your kids want to do the right thing then hey, these spots may just keep producing for long time.

Now thats just my opinion which is what this forum is all about right. So agree, disagree I'm not really fussed because it's your opinion and your entitled to it.

I feel good because I helped some people out and had fun doing it which is what fishing is about ( having fun ).

Hope you enjoy the read and keep posting as it would be awesome to get over 50 reply's to 1 post. Now that would be a personal best I would never repeat.

Cheers Paul

Very very well said duckbill. I totally agree.

My opinion is as follows:

1) The facts are: these fella's did not do anything wrong at all and each to their own how many fish they want to be keep.

2) Bag limits, should they be questioned? I personally think the bag limit of 10 cobia is abit over the top. Fair enough they all dont grow to the sizes we have seen caught on these boards lately but that's alot of fish to be kept and distributed by the ONE individual. A bag limit with size restrictions I think is the go. Bag limits should be in place to ensure equitable current and some future consumption of fish I think.

Could you imagine a fisho who e.g. catches 10 brutes the size that fishinmisin has been catching em at. That would be a bit much dont you think? Again, I think the ohnus is on fisheries and I am sure we are all aware of the inherent inefficiencies of the system

3) I think most anglers here on these boards are responsible anglers who definately see the point of conservation for the future (unless there are still some of the old-school kill for show anglers around # ). I am sure they want their kids to have the opportunity to catch fish in the future. We shouldn't question how many they keep but there are always those who cant help themselves. #Treat posts like these as constant reminders and there are positives to be had.

4) And chemmy; your post was interpreted by ME to be abit of a smartass comment hence my reply (excuse me but I cant stand smartasses). You of all people can sure talk bro; ignorance is not an excuse my friend . In saying that, i can see why YOU would be fed-up with people commenting on bag limits etc #

Regards
    CT