Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point Lookout - Wahoooooooooooooo

Point Lookout - Wahoooooooooooooo

Well with the weather looking half decent myself and Brook(Outsider) decided to have a crack at a Wahoo out from Straddie. We got to the ramp at 4am to find the tips of the tree's almost touching the ground. > It was blowing a good 20 knots of NE and as we headed across the bay and it started to rain and rain and rain. > We crossed the bar and headed for the group while trolling hex heads and as we got to the area we wanted to spend some time in the reel start's to click but only ever so gentle. Looking behind i see that a very small mac tuna has hooked up but hasn't got the strength to even pull drag and has turned into a skipping bait. . After that we trolled Hard body's for hours upon hours around the group with bait and birds everywhere but there was nothing else feeding on them. It was windy as hell and peeing down rain but we just kept persisting and decided we were beating a dead horse so we headed wider into around the 80mtr line and after about an hour the reel screams for a few seconds but spits the hooks. A quick look and the gold laser pro shows that a wahoo was the culprit. We trolled a bit further when one reel screams then another then another then another. 4 way hook up We both jumped on a rod each and in the mean time the two other rods have lost the fish. As i get my fish close to the boat one of the other rods which had lost a fish starts screaming again. The lure would have been floating on the surface but the fish still liked it and took off a hundred mile an hour but we were still on our fish and several seconds later it spits the hooks. Anyway i get my fish in which turns out to be a little hoo and Brook also pulls one in. All the lures were brand new and all had severe battle scares but who was complaining. We trolled the area for a couple more hours with another two hook ups but not staying connected. After that we headed wider with a couple of Pakula's and hard bodies out. We went towards a spot sounding on the Garmin GPS which showed 113mtrs and the area around showing 140-180 mtrs of water. This is an area i have wanted to check out for a while but when we got closer i started thinking garmin have made a mistake because all around this 113 mtr spot sounding was 183 mtrs. Nice mistake they made there but it killed some time now i know there's nothing there. We trolled our way back in and trolled in the area where we got the wahoo earlier and after many laps around the area the Blue Pilly hard body gets smashed. I hand it over to Brook (since it was his boat and i didn't feel like swimming and up comes another Hoo at a better size. After that we trolled back around the group for an hour or so and then headed for home. It was tough day but persistance did pay off.

Cheers Greg

The first 2 small hoo that came from a 4 way hook up

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Re: Point Lookout - Wahoooooooooooooo

better hoo

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Nasty mouth

Sportfish_5

Top stuff guys

Ding Ding - Season has started

There are some big models out there ATM

Cheers

Greg

Good work boys! deffently a hard day at the office, i looked at the wind this morning and thought you wouldnt go, you proved me wrong! ...foxy

awesome hoos there guys

things are starting to get excited.
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Good work!

When we headed out there a week and a half ago, that bait looked awesome. I was amazed we couldn't even pick tuna up off it. It seems we might be in for a good summer season

CJ

Top fish mate they should down the Tweed way in a little while

Very nice fish.

Sea looks a bit rough though.

Hey Reefmaster,
    I am up that way in a week if you do not mind what type of lures etc where you using mate i would not have a clue where to start but i am more then keen to have a shot. even will take you out for a fish as a trade laughs you just point the way!

Cheers

MAD!

Are wahoo any good eating ?

great fish were you using mono or braid?

and what size hex heads were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by chemmy
    great fish were you using mono or braid?

and what size hex heads were you using?
    ERR Chemmy, me thinks you should read the first post again...

sompin about Lazer pros with hardbodies ...LOLOLOLOLOL

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Sportfish_5

More gold

bidkev

Good report and cracking pics Greg. Keep 'em coming.

cheers

kev