Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borroloola (Centre Island) and a Croc

Re: Borroloola (Centre Island) and a Croc

Jennygroup - the Hornet was excellent but I guess it depends on what your mate wants to do..I wouldn't be too keen on taking the Hornet into any sort of decent chop. I had it down at Peter Faust recently and it was perfect for those conditions.............except I almost ran over a bloke at about 10.30pm who was floating around in a tyre tube with no light (Apparently the battery had gone flat!!!) doh! I think he'd had too many runs beofre he went out!!

Re: Borroloola (Centre Island) and a Croc

Corry, we took my 4.35 m Hornet, a 5 m Hornet, a 4.0 m and 50 m tinny and a 5m quintrex. Your 4.0 m tinny would be fine, I was stupid enough the last time I went to take a 3.6m out to Centre Island. I have since upgraded to a 4.35 m Hornet. The roughest part of the trip out to the Island is when you escape the confines of the river mouth and appear in no mans land before moving into the security of the island group. This is about 4 miles of open and most times choppy ocean. Take a GPS or you will have a hell of a time coming back in to the McArthur River Channel. The Channel is surrounded by mud banks which will catch you out . The Channel is about 100m wide and is better marked now. It appears the authorities have got together amd placed marker bouys in the major parts of the Chanmnel but they are over 500m apart and damn hard to find on re-entering a mangrove covered coustline. Upon entering the channel the outer marker is about 3km out so you need good eyes or good waypints on your GPS.
    The area is populated with large pods of dolphin and dugong.

A few of the guys wanted to get into the reef fish but the winds can keep you to the small bays most of the time. It's about a 30km trip out to the island via the McArthur.

As I stated at the start of this topic, the locals up there informed me Centre Island has been handed over to them. So what this means now is yet to be determined.

Have fun

Dex