Thread: "Animal" Viking Billfish Bash Report

Jeno

"Animal" Viking Billfish Bash Report

Report a little late but had some computer probs
    "ANIMAL" fished the Mooloolaba Billfish Bash two weeks ago for a good result in her second tournament under new captaincy
    Two day comp, full day fishing Saturday half day Sunday which is a great format as the presentation is Sunday afternoon which gives everybody time to get boats home and crews are not too tired for work Monday.
    On Saturday went 7-6-6 no billfish but 3 Mahi Mahi, 2 Mack Tuna and 1 Yellowfin in perfect conditions.
    As is often the case all Mahi Mahi caught on my permanent long rigger lure Micro Sprocket (Lumo).
    Sunday fished close grounds with a Marlin coming up on short rigger Micro Cockroach (Stinger) for a half hearted early shot without hooking up.
    My wife Kellie caught a nice little Marlin at 9.30 to give us champion female taking the old reliable "UZI" run in the centre.
    At around 10.30 had an huge fish (for the close grounds) track behind the Uzi again and just would not play fair no matter how much we screamed for it to take it.
    We passed back over the mark again and again and after about the 6th time the fish appeared again on the Sprocket with same result tracked along behind again and peeled away.
    As I said a big fish for close area, hard to say but in the water looked maybe 150kg, we have hooked and played a fish for over 11/2 hours of a similar size in my old boat "BATTLEDECK" on 8kg years ago, they just seem to be poking around there every now and then.
    Generally Billfish hard to find by all boats but I have no doubt that longline bait fishing pressure is having a huge effect on fishery.
    A great weekend was had by all.
    Couple of pictures to have a look at.
    Stephen

Jeno

Re: "Animal" Viking Billfish Bash Report

Billfish on Second Day

Jeno

Swim and Release

Jeno

The Happy Crew