Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 hoo in 3 hours

3 hoo in 3 hours

Zipped out at 1pm today and Dan,Brett and myelf all managed a wahoo.
    Me with mine.

Re: 3 hoo in 3 hours

underwaterpic of Dans

Mine in boat

bloody hell ... excitment plus ....

plenty of burley ...
    "whats the time"

plenty of burley ...

"whats the time"

plenty of burley

"whats the time"

Darryl

We gotcha the first time snappa

You need to get that stuttering problem sorted matey.

Yeah 3 blocks of pillies. Server seems to be a reasonable speed tonight so here goes. We got out off straddie at about 1ish and collected a couple of parrot fish till the boats trolling left. As soon as they were gone it was as if someone flicked a switch and there was wahoo everywhere. Dan got his first as it was munching on the burley ( I was on camera duty). He put a good shot in it so it only took about 5mins to retreive. Back up for another drift, driving slowly as not to spook any others. Brett had the gun this time and once again I was stuck with the camera. Brett breathed up and was about to head to the bottom in about 25m, as he dived he saw a wahoo cruising past at about 5m so he moved in and bang it was off. It took off at warp speed and we started after his float. He shot a little high so I called Dan over to get another gun to secure it. As he was driving over I noticed a 20kg wahoo in the distance( attracted by the excitement. I gave Dan a hurry along and made sure he gave me one with a rigline. I loaded up and started scanning sure enough he did another pass at about 10m and I dove camera in one hand gun in the other. Luckily he was a bitlazy and I got within range, crack I smashed his spine and he just rolled over. We saw a few more small ones but then a couple of tinnies started trolling and they scattered. Not a bad afternoon. Good to have a nice bit of weather for a change.
    Cheers all Doug

Hi Doug

Man o man they are some great pics. I am drooling You absolutely deserve the fish you get mate. The fish you were holding above the water seems so much bigger inside the boat.

Cheers and well done again.
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

i tried to delete but ....
    "whats the time"

We can see where you put the spear in - it's as if you had two toranas put together after a crash

Nice work. Interesting that they came out to play when no trolls were about.

Doug your a legend - awesome underwater pic, just awesome.
    Also interested in them apparently being scattered (but where to?) by trolling boats - any further thoughts on this??
    how does a line fisho catch a 'hoo if not on the troll??
    how did you burley the 3blocks of pillies?? container?? cubing?? on the drift??

MalM
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

spear fishing? dont know seems to take the sport out of it.

Mal - we just don't see them when boats are trolling so I don't know what they do?
    I'm sure you could burley them up to catch them.
    We just throw a handfull of pillies in every few minutes while drifting.
    Dicer- whenever we hit the spine of a fish they change colour at that poit.
    nuffy- I still do the odd bit of fishing and trust me sometimes when snapper come on the bite it can be a bit unsporting but we still catch them for a feed. I would spear about 3-4 wahoo each year nowhere near the number that I have caught trolling in the past. I've had this conversation many times and having to hold your breath for a couple of minutes and swimming in excess of 50m on a single dive and shoot a fish with a rubber powered gun,that is what I class as a sport. What fisherman would not try a technique if they thought they would get better size fish. My boat is always open for anyone to show me how easy it is.
    Cheers doug

Doug mate you have to be fit for that excellent catch