Thread: Murphy's Reef Madness!

SnodgerHunter

Murphy's Reef Madness!

We all know Murphy's law, "If there is the slight chance of bad fishing weather...there will be!" And when you are fishing a reef which was named after this law, you have to expect the worse case scenario!

The prediction was 10/15knot winds, with a 2m swell and seas to 1.2m - but the actual conditions was much worse - should have turned back at Point Cartwright, but continued to Murphys despite having to plough thru the waves to get there. We got there at 6am amd drifted along the north-western part where it comes up from 30m to 22-25m. The sea anchor worked a treat to keep the bow into the wind and waves. managed a monster leatherjacket(60cm), an unidentified reefie(30cm), 2 x red-throught sweetlips(30 and 32cm), and 3 whiptails - all returned to the water. sorry no pics The leatherjacket took a huge run for the seabed when it saw the boat -an awesome fighting fish! does anyone eat these?

I promised the crew we will not go out again until the weather is ideal, to make up for the bumpy ride this means about 5-10knot breeze, seas to 0.7m. DOH! How often does this happen? Once a year?

Re: Murphy's Reef Madness!

I was trying all week to get out there for my maiden trip but those conditions kept me off the water. Hopefully it will settle a bit over the next few days. At least you got a couple for your efforts.

S S i was so close to going out today and now after reading your report im glad i stayed at home.
    Tell you i would have been chucking some burley out for sure.
    Leather jackets are mighty fine fish to eat.
    Graeme

if you check the cape readings for the morning they weather was spot on..we stayed out all day and ran home in great conditions this arvo.

Ill be out there this morning
    seano

gropeher

Should have come to the rally instead matey #

Anyways hope you had a geat day, shame bout that swell ey buddy. Hope you guys can catch a bag next time, good luck.

Cheers Ryan.

cant trust the weather bureau! at least u caught something

sounds like a great place to go
    Murf