Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "FRAMING RIPTIDE"

"FRAMING RIPTIDE"

just got back from a morning out with rhys , hodgie and ken fishing curramundi wide , not a heap of fish but pretty eventfull non the less .
    high lites were hodgie and rhys fighting the same black marlin at the same time before it wore through both leaders at the boat , rhys bagging a fat 6kilo plus maroi cod , hodgie and a nice cobia , several bite offs and yours truly landing a nice northern blufin on a spinfisher 850 .
    another top day with a top crew and plenty of laughs .

cheers swano
    no doubt rhys will add a bit as well

Re: "FRAMING RIPTIDE"

tooona

great lookin fish

Good to see you back in action Rhys .

great looking fish well done

what did you get the tuna on ? were they feeding on the surface?
    great fish mate well done

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Awesome cod Rhys has hold of there...and bad luck on the black boys...who will blame who for the bust off Swano, great tuna mate. It looks like it's ready the shake the sh!t outta ya

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Great_White

Well done guys #

Rhys good to see you got out there again for a fish. Sounded like you were hanging out for one last time we spoke.

Peter #

nice feed of fish thee rhys
    nice looking cod

pete

BAIT_MAN

Hey Rhys me old mate how did the ROVEX hold up. Mate looked like you had a good day weather wise. Got JB on the go for a red on the bbq will get you Paul, Foxy over. Bring on fraser will be a good couple of weeks.

Tight Lines Always
    Shane

G'day...

Well its great to have something to write about and report on again...I was starting to go stir crazy with the past period of wind and weather negating any trips to the wild blue. It is bad patches like that that really make us appreciate the good weather! So yeah Sam, great to be back in action again and I think I may have just restored my sanity Pete!

We headed out to a patch of reef to the South East of Point Cartright wide of Currumundi early yesterday morning, after around half an hour of travel on a slight washing machine sea at a reasonably comfortable clip we got to our marks and began to sound around to locate where the bait was hanging in relation to structure.

A couple of reasonable clouds of bait fish appeared so we set our dift pattern and started fishing just before the sun poked its head above the horizon...man it was great to be out again! It seemed there was plenty of bait around which fuelled our expectation, but not a lot of feeding happening with the preditors...we picked up a couple of undersized squirey things that were returned, but it was so good to be out again, the fact the fish weren't really turning it on wasn't to much of a hassell. The wind picked up and pushed our drift along too fast so we decided to anchor...gotta get one of those para anchor doovies one day!

We started to burley up pretty hard with little response...we tried everything...Swano was noodling away with the soft plastics, Ken bouncing with a paternoster...I had floated some lovely cuttle fish heads down and had a floating pillie out there on the ROVEX, Hodgie was messing around, changing rigs trying this and that...eventually to boat a legal squirey thing...that was one and to be the only keep snapper for the day.

After around an hour of consistenly cubing pillies, hodgies line took off and in the next instant mine went too, a 30ish kg juvenile Black took to the air and we were both into the same fish...Its all Hodgies fault we dropped it Paul...he's the expert...actually the fish spat my pillie back (I was using 10kg mono on my floater) and the fish's bill wore through Hodgies leader...That'll teach hime for using a light leader...but the little black did put on a really nice arial display with a series of five or six jumps and cartwheels, so he'll go to grow and be caught another day.

We decided to try another patch of reef to a couple of clicks to the north east a friend of mine told me about but couldn't give me a mark for so we headed in the general direction of NE to come across perhaps the most impressive cloud of bait fish i've ever seen...man the sounder screen was almost full red with the bottom register coming up from 40 metres to around 15...but it was just solid bait fish. We sounded around to get the shape of the school and try to idenify the structure they were hanging off, but they were so think I couldn't differentiate between the fish and the bottom...maybe thats where the ability to easily fine tune the sounder would help...not the Raymarines strongest attribute.

We set a drift, Hodgie bagged a nice cobe and we could see where the preditors were carving through the school so we decided to jig a few livies...no problem, nice bait sized slimies and yakka's quickly filled the bait tank and we started drifting these through the school for a couple of runs and snips, we surmised probably mackeral.

We decided to try and anchor up...but not being able to see the structure it made it tough to know exactly what to anchor up on, but with the bait school so dense and clearly not moving around too much we took a chance and gave it a go.

That's where I caught the Maori..a PB for me with that spicies.

Swano nailed his PB Northern Blue Fin on a live slimie Fly Fish, it was probably hanging close to the bottom by the time the fish hit. It took him so long to get it too the boat we had backed up for our second batch of fresh baked scones!!! It had maggots hanging off it!!! It was buggered by the time he got it in Paul, so no shakes but at 12kg it was an impressive catch.

Sadly Shano, I didn't pull a scale on the ROVEX mate, mores the pity....just love that outfit when it a loaded up!!!

Hodgie and Swano did their best interpretations of Rodney Rude and Kevin "Bloody" Wilson when things were slow and kept Ken and I entertained and at some times in stitches so it was probably just as well the fishing was a tad quiet!!!

All in all, great to be out again, a number of PB's for the day including one of nemo's mates for Hodgie

Thanks for putting up the pics Swano

Cant wait to do it all again

Cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Ah Rhys, you put together a bloody good report mate [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Have you renamed the boat or were you fishing on your Chinese sister boat Framing Riptide for the day?

Anyway it's great to see you back out on the water and into them...especially that beast of a maori cod.

Cheers and better luck next time on the Bill.

Paul

G'day Paul,

Ahh...soo...Framin Riptide...reference to the difficulty we had logging on the Coastguard...early morning...signal breaking up and a continental friend on the other end of the transmission, asked me to spell it

so I went...

Ummm F for...well flamingo (looking for some moral support 'cause my phonetic alphabet isn't the best at the best of times - the blokes just started giggling like a bunch of teenage school girls )) , l for lima, alpha, mica, indigo, whatever N is, and stopped

After the coastguard bloke repeated it back adding "Golf" on the end...we all craked up...no disrespect intended for our coastguard friend...those blokes and girls do a fantastic job...but it just hit the funny bone given the way so much telemarketing comes out of the continent these day...so it didn't take long for the contential accent to be pulled to an asian accent...guess you had to be there but it was a hoot at the time!!!!

Get Smart's Don Adam's playing Maxwell Smart - his #legacy interacting with Kaos's Asian Agent "The Claw" lives on ..."Ah Mr Craw...we meet again"....."Its not the Craw...its the CRAW, not the Craw, the CRAW!!!!!!!"
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

SWANO

Dont you ever work

LMAO Rhys...the good old days of Agent 86 I can hear it now...........Coastguard Moorooraba Coastguard Moorooraba this is Framin Riptide They do a bloody good job though and can be good for a laugh sometimes.

Cheers
    Paul