Thread: Jurassic Lake

Ron_Collins

Jurassic Lake

There has been a bit of discuussion about this location in the past- at which some very big fish have been caught in competitions.

I think the time has arrived for its whereabouts to be disclosed and consequently have published an aerial pic of it in the just-printed September edtion of Bush n Beach Fishing. This way the average punter will have a chance - if there are any fish left in it by the time the next competition occurs.

This may or may not please everyone, but publicly disclosing its whereabouts should help get rid of the inuendo and accusations that were buzzing at the recent Straddie Classic. Just the "normal" stuff about competitors starting early, not leaving the island daily in their own boats, catching fish before the comp started and so on.

We can do without this because it reflects badly on the vast majority of competitors who do the right thing.

I'd appreciate some feedback, and you may also like to share your thoughts on competitors being "on" their fishing spot many hours before official "lines down". They're not fishing, of course, just sitting there couunting sheep while they're whiling away the hours before the official start time.

What do you think about every competitor in a comp such as Straddie having to be "checked out" at the comp site from, say 9.30pm, when the opening function is drawing to a close? If they don't get "checked out" by a stamp or some other means, they can't weigh a fish in until the second day?

These are the sorts of things that were raised with me by average competitors and are general unsubstantiated comments which have no reference to any particular person or persons. No names were named - it's just gossip that could be a myth or close to the mark. I mention them for your feedback as the angst is starting to gain serious momentum.

Re: Jurassic Lake

Ron,

When i used to fish in comps a bit we had the same sort of start as you describe where the angler could be at his/her location 2 days before lines down and nothing could be done,there was ALWAYS talk of blokes fishing before the start time and althou there was never any real finger pointing done the feeling was that the self governed start was an open ivitation to cheat.

Now the club has changed the rules so that no entered angler can be seen on the water AT ALL within three hours of the start,the can freely fish up to that point but then must be off the water three hours before and then with 30 mins to go before lines down the angler can depart for thier fishing spot in thier boat,this gives 30 mins travel on the water and everyone is on a fair playing field.This still gives ample pre fish time and with only 30 mins before lines down the opportunity to cheat is very marginal.This is the best system i have fished in,it may not be practical for the Sraddie but it's worth a thought.

I have fished in sign on at a given time and then you are free to go with everyone leaving at once but it dead set just makes coas at the boat ramp as the sign on place was a few k's off the water.

As for you publishing the map,well as you know it's well out of my range so i really don't care.Looking forward to seeing the pic and having a read.

Birdy

Brett_Finger

Ron,
    Mate good on you for bringing this to everyones attention!
    i cannot however belive that these people are sitting around waiting for starting time
    to make it fair on all competiors fishing everyone should leave the star toughter even if some people have to drive half an hour, this is there choice.
    i reguards to jurasic lakes, maby the orgnanisers could look at stationing officals at the entrances to these out of bounds honey holes.do not mention this at the brifeing.it would be good to see who turned up.
    once again Ron a good call on this subject! maby the increased fishing preasure on this spot will encourage the people that police the property to secure them more.
    hookin, Brett.

imported_admin

Goodonya Ron, hopefully this will put everyone on a level playing field.

Sadly there will probably always be accusatiions regarding winning fish in comps, being caught early and kept in pools, live bait tanks, whatever. But at least the Jurassic factor will be removed.

Would be difficult for a lot of comps to have to much control of anglers but Straddie would seeme to be one that has a captive audience. They could easily check for fish coming onto the island in eskys, people leaving early, etc. Maybe they could have officials at the boat ramps where people have to log iin and out. But then what about the beach anglers.

I think if something isn't done we will probably see a lot of comps fade away as sponsors would not like to be associated with any contraversy.

The good thing about the major prizes in comps like Straddie and Fraser is that it is all lucky draw, you don't even have to fish to be in the running.

Maybe the comps would be better off with secret weights like the Kirkleagh Klassic at Somerset. That way the biggest fish doesn't win and everyone has an even chance.

Hi Ron,
    To be totally frank, I've heard just about enough about the place, sick to death of it really. Print the map & be done with it. Just be carefull you don't get some more solicitors letters from those with a sensitive nature or get harrassed on every chat board going. ppphhhhttttt
    In regard to comps, I recon the only way to stop cheats is have secret weight or catch & release only. I know this won't work for reefies & big pelagics but it can be done with estuary species. I know that's a pipe dream, but as long as the emphasis is on the biggest &/or most without these measures in place, there is gonna be the temptation to jump the gun or step outside the side line (last years hot gossip as well!) & the accusations that inevitably follow.
    Anyway, I can't see an easy fix to the problem, if not Jurassic, then another similar spot will be the highlight next time. Same crap, different place.

Now you want to start on fish filled with ice?...............

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Ron,

You have raised some very interesting points. Jurassic Lake, wherever it is, like many other destinations that previously held big fish, will not in the future. Word eventually gets around whether it is published or not. Overfishing of large fish will certainly occur and it will end up being void of good fish. This would particularly apply to bream and whiting.

I have never fished in the Straddie Classic and do not consider myself to be an authority on this type of competition. It appears under the current rules the winner is the angler who has used their fishing skills and location knowledge to their best ability to catch the largest of a species within a wide time frame that spans the best part of a week. Luck plays a major factor in determining whether the targeted species would be caught during this time frame.

I would go further to say that it is more location knowledge of large fish rather than fishing skills that determines the winners of the estuary fish species.

Accordingly, should the organisers of the competition decide to even the playing field and remove the “location Knowledge” advantage thereby stopping competitors from fishing far and wide and finding more “Jurassic Lakes “ then I would suggest that the competition boundaries be severely restricted to those immediately adjacent to Stradbroke Island. I would also suggest that there be daily sign-out and sign-on times for anglers (ie have nominated day time events and nominated night time events with specific time durations).

Ideally fish should be weighed in live and then released but I envisage a number of problems with this especially with tailor and jew that are gut hooked. This might not produce the size of previous winning fish but it would certainly make the competition more even and less likely to be open to fraud. It would also make it a truly Stradbroke Island event rather than the wider SE Queensland event that it currently is.

That’s my two bobs worth. There will be many differing opinions on this one and at the end of the day if somebody wants to cheat they will but by having tighter boundaries and specific time restrictions with sign-on and weigh-in its going to make it a lot harder.

Cheers

Wayne

Thats an excelent idea. I know of some people traveling to the lakes up on the sunshine coast to fish during comp time. So by having a set time to depart would help stop this problem. Its a bit low to catch a wining fish like this and then state you have cought it in the locale erea. People have eyes and ears and will tell all one day.

Stu

'Day Ron,While big prizes are to be had there will always be rumours & people bending the rules,something has to be done re the bream section in these comps,this has been blding for a few years now & if your publication doesnt fix it then I don't know what will,perhaps the fish categorys in question can be removed from the from the comps till better measures are put into place & trialed. good luck.

Well done Ron,
    # # # # # # # # # #For years I've been amazed at the sizes of bread and butter fish that have been weighed in at the local comps. Location plays a very big part in catching fish. Don't get me wrong here, hats off to the anglers who put in the effort to study a certian fish, its eating patterns & habitat, then use their time honoured skill to chase and eventually catch a horse of a fish. These people deserve to be on the dias - If they compete within the rules.

Just take the recent Straddie Classic for example, catching XOS tailor is no easy task, yet these tailor fishos do their homework and spend the whole time on the beach (tailor is a beach only category) I wasn't too surprized to see ' Mr White Hilux With Canopy' get 1st prize for the tailor. He is playing within the rules.

Jurrasic lake is not within the allowed fishing boundries for the Straddie Classic, the map on the back of the entry form shows you that! Some entrants were spotted fishing this lake in the week leading up to the Classic. It would have to be for taxidermy purposes only as the 'compound' holds very dark fish
    and I'm sure they would not be for eating.

I say speak up and do away with downright shonky competitors, because pulling a prize winning fish out of an area which is not within the competitions boundries is called cheating.

Well Ron, looks like you got the big Tick from everyone so far. I don't think it is sour grapes from people in comps, just a feeling that something is wrong. I have no solution to the " cheating " problem in comps. My cure was to not enter. The others here seem to think the " secret weight " could work.

I have personally fished Jurassic Lake for the sole purpose of getting a Trophy ( taxidermied ) Bream. ( yep Steve, if I get 2 over 2kg, I'll pop one down to you ), Unfortunatley the size has only reached 1.6kg. I would not eat a fish from the Lake, but I know of a few that have, ( they'll have their second head removed shortly ).

The moral to the story is, there will always be someone willing to bend the rules to gain an advantage, no matter what the comp, footy, fishing, horse racing. These people know who they are and so do their ( ex ) friends. If you've done your best in a comp, and didn't end up on the podium, better luck next time. Luck being the most important word here. As we all know, Lady Luck, smiles on us from time to time, it's just that we have to tee her up with a Comp.

If the readers of your mag, want to check out Jurassic Lake after finding out the location, I suggest they take along any equipment they seem fit to catch Mullet. There are hundreds of them there, but the Bream are thin, thanks to the efforts of the Comps this year, and a lot more people knowing about it. Good Health Ron, 8)
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Nice work Ron !

All the best,

Will Lee

SHANE

WELL RON YOU SAID THAT NAME AGAIN (Jurassic Lake ) I DONT THINK PAULINE HANSON COULD GET THIS MUCH REACTION IF SHE SAID IT IN PARLAMENT
    I HATE THE IDEA THAT SOME PEOPLE WOULD GO TO SO MUCH TROUBLE TO JUST END UP WITH SOME PLASTIC TROPHY ON THE SHELF BUT THE MUST BE OUT THERE
    IF THE KEEPED IT ALL DOWN TO SECRET WEIGHTS THIS WOULD HAVE TO FIX SOME OF THE PROBLEMS BUT ON THE OTHER HAND THIS CAN CAUSE BIGGER FISH KILLS TO GET A MIXTURE OF WEIGHTS (ITS A HARD ONE!!! ???)
    MYSELF I ONLY FISH FRESHWATER COMPS BUT HAVE WANTED TO GET INTO THE SALT WATER ONES SOME OF THESE PEOPLE COULD LEARN SOMETHING FROM THE LOCAL COMPS THAT GET RUN AROUND THE PLACE
    I,M NOT THAT KEEN TO DO SO WHILE THESE SORTS OF THIS ARE HAPPENING WHATS THE POINT IN PAYING GOOD MONEY TO ENTER WHEN YOU KNOW WHO THE WINNERS ARE BEFORE IT EVEN GETS UP AND RUNNING
    YES THERE IS TALK OF THE WRONG THING GOING ON IN THE FRESHWATER COMPS TO BUT AS IT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID THEY SOON GET CAUGHT OUT AND LABELED FOR IT
    RON! IF YOU DO GET A SOLUTION PLEASE PASS IT ON TO EVERY OTHER COMP AROUND BEFORE IT RUINS IT FOR EVERYONE