Thread: Lost email addresses

Lost email addresses

Had a major computer glitch and lost my address book.
    If you talk to me via email can you send a blank message so I can store your email address and fill the address book back up again.
    Bloody hell I hate these things!

Dave ><>

Re: Lost email addresses

G'day Nuggett

My sister-in-law got the sircam worm virus the other week and ended up losing everything on the hard drive so she is in the same boat as you. ???

Are there any computer wizzes out there who know how to back up things like address books.

Hope you get it all back.

Derek

imported_admin

Derek

You can grab the files from windows and save them to a floppy, you just have to know what files you need to grab. This depends on what program you use for your mail, Netscape IE, etc.

There are quite a few programs and shareware programs around that make it a lot easier.
    Have a look at http://www.argentuma.com/ab.html

Or do a search on Tucows for "backup" or "backup address"

If you use Outlook Express open your address book and export your addresses to your A drive. easy to do.

cheers
    pockets

Watch out for the latest virus as well coming out of the States in the vaccuum of the disaster their last week.

Cannot recall the name. Aufish may be able to tell me/us the name of this latest virus. I notice that the sircam is still kicking around the place too.

imported_admin

Steve

There are a few new ones out the main one that seems to be causing problems is Nimda.

Here is an extract from McAfee
    This threat can infect all unprotected users of Win9x/NT/2000/ME. This is a HIGH RISK virus that is spread via email. The infected email can come from addresses that you recognize.W32/Nimda@MM also spreads via open shares, the Microsoft Web Folder Transversal vulnerability (also used by W32/CodeBlue), and a Microsoft content-type spoofing vulnerability. The email attachment name varies and may use the icon for an Internet Explorer HTML document.

Microsoft Outlook users - we recommend that you disable the Preview Pane. Viewing email messages with the Preview Pane can cause the virus to activate.

For full info and protection go to
    http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/vir...t.asp?cid=2444

NIMDA virus spread by email and internet. Comes as blank email with a file attached README.EXE. Be wary!

Patches available from most anti-virus companies for download, to detect and remove.

Yep that's one I was trying to think of.