Thread: Halco Split Rings

Halco Split Rings

Can anyone tell me any tricks in putting these onto the lures without driving a screwdriver through my thumb.
    Thanks Lacking Calcium

Re: Halco Split Rings

Just had to put one on a lure this arvo, what a @#$%&*. Finally dug out some teeny weeny screw drivers, and managed to spread the ring enough to get the treble on. They are tough blighters, but the precision screwdrivers make it a bit easier. Let us know if you find an easier way!

imported_admin

Hi

Suggest you get hold of a pair of split ring pliers, makes it a lot easier and less hazardous on the fingers. Shoudl be able to pick up a pair at your local tackle store, Kmart, etc.

Hi Steve and Katrina,
    I don't know how many split rings became airborne never to be seen again. Will be going to get some of those pliers for sure. Thankyou.
    Luke

Brett_Finger

SPLIT RING PLYERS
    Hookin, Brett!!

Thanks for the tip!

Just another tip once you get your split ring pliers.

Only grab the ring and slip it enough to get you hook eye loop into the ring. Better not to grab the ring an slip it further around the ring than is necessary.

Why? Because it avoids leaving a gap at the end of the ring where your hook eye can get stuck and prevent your hook from working right.

Thanks Steve,
    I worked that out pretty well. Think they lose a bit of strength to if opened too much.
    Luke

No worries Luke and yep, your right on the money with that line of thought.