Thread: keeping shrimp alive for long periods

keeping shrimp alive for long periods

hi i was looking for some people out there to give me some advice on keeping shrimp for long periods.

i am keeping mine in a concrete troff but they die.

any other suggestions on wot to do?

cheers! shrimpy

Re: keeping shrimp alive for long periods

you could try applying an air-rator to the water as they are probably using up all the oxygen simple fish tank pump will do but if it is too big of a troff a bildge type pump will do fine just put the outlet of the pump above the water this will also airate the water. this sounds like what the problem could be!!
    cheers shano!

Re: keeping shrimp alive for long periods

I'd say low oxygen levels due to lack of airation or another big chance is temperateure variation. If the trough is outside, the water temp could go from mid to high 30s during the day down to low teens at night.
    I used to keep mine in a fish tank & kept it airated at all times. They live forever like this with a little food.
    Easy to take them out in the live well (airated) and bring home any un-used one again.
    I even got to the stage where I was breeding them but the growth rate is rather poor.

Hope that heps,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au