Thread: How times have changed

How times have changed

Had an occasion to go fishing in Raby Bay with my brother last weekend, and couldnt believe the difference in the place. I lived at Cleveland for 28 years and regularly went fishing in the bay, including wading for whiting at low tide as the tide came in.
    Well thats all gone now EH!!! Canal development has taken its place, and the mud flats dont exist .This of course means all the mangroves are gone also., no fish breeding grounds,and natural environment cleaning .

The water, at what we knew as Stanley's , at Ormiston, used to be so clean that you could see the "Nigger Heads' as they were called in those days. The fishing used to be great, but very slow these days.Dad caught the biggest Jew I can remember, at 27 KG , on a hand line in Raby Bay.
    Just where will all this end, as we continue to wreck this vital amateur sport.Any ideas?

Regards David

Re: How times have changed

Sad to see this sort of thing happening, but as they say " progress ".

With due respect, the Raby Bay Marina is and will produce very good fish. Bream, Trevally, Mangrove Jack and Squire. Tailor have shown their heads there. Mullet are around and Cuttlefish and Squid. It is true that the mangroves can't be replaced, but the fish ( mother nature ) seems to be adapting. Go down to the boardwalk on a cold winters night, peeled prawn in hand, and get ready to be surprised.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Addict

Re: How times have changed

I think the biggest mistake was raby bay developers and the council aruging over the repairs to the old jetty..in the end it was pulled down cause it was cheaper... had many a pleasent early night with my kids down there catching squid to eat and bream... i have caught school and spotty mackeral in the canal..by mistake while fishing for bream with peeled prawn...throw backs but was fun on light gear and not getting bit off amazed me