Thread: Chicken Breast for Whiting ??

Ausfish Addict

Chicken Breast for Whiting ??

Just read somewhere that strips of fresh chicken breast will catch whiting and bream. Has anyone tried chicken breast fishing for whiting I know it works for bream..
    cheers

adrian

Re: Chicken Breast for Whiting ??

at $6.99 per kg it's cheeper to buy the fish from the shop but still anything is worth ago
    anzac

matt_fraser

Haven't tried chicken for whiting yet, but it definitely works well for bream. Although I prefer boneless thighs, as they are slightly tougher than breast meat and stay on the hook better. Might have to give it a try again on my next Donnybrook trip!

Matt

Ausfish Addict

Mite have to give it a go..chicken breast runs out at around $8.99 a keg... a half breast runs around $4 average..a packet of worms is between $4.30 n $5 the amount of baits if its a winner from a half breast I have to be in front..will let you know when i get a chance..of to rocky this weekend to chuck some lures in the Fitzy was up there last weekend and the locals reckon pink n silver lures r killing the jacks near the road bridge..not to mention the crocs scarin of the fishos...will let u know how i get on
    cheers

G'day Jaybee.
    I've caught KGW, trevally, salmon and bream on raw chook.
    Makes a fair bit of sense at the price compared with a pack of pipis or worms! >

Cheers, Slates

Again, I have done extremely well catching Bream on Chicken Fillet. Been useing it for the last few winters down at the "Pin" and found it out-fished Yabbies, Mullet etc.
    I kg of Chicken is enough bait for a couple of people to fish all night. Some times the Breast can get a bit soft, so keep it on ice when not in use. Have not caught any Whiting on it to date but did catch a Whiting on a piece of Bullock's Heart so anythings possible.

Cheers
    Craigie.

Ausfish Addict

Thanks for the feedback guys I will try it next trip down the coast and keep you posted.
    cheers

Hi Folks

I havent seriously used this bait as I prefer squid and shellfish on most occasions.

Interestingly, down here in Tassie chicken is used very successfully on the West Coast down here inparticular for Snotty Trevally (Warehou)

Might be of interest to Mainland fishermen perhaps?

A mate uses chicken breast exclusively in bream season and it works very well. I use chicken gut and lots of it on the hook and 8 out of 10 times the gut produces the quality fish.
    I don't think anyone likes the smell of it but take a rag and everythings sweet. Get the gut while its still warm ( fresh as possible though some say older and smellier the better ???) and its a winner bait.
    Cheers Luke