Thread: 2 the Fisheries or N E 1 who can help

2 the Fisheries or N E 1 who can help

My father recently caught a gold spot cod. approx weight 14 - 16lb's. from the islands out at Clairview Central Queensland

My question...

When filliting the fish I encountered these lil "ball type things".
    they were grey in colour, seamed to have a hard interior with the outside being a slimy "protective cover". They were about 2mm in diameter

Also they were actually threw the flesh. cod being so thick i sliced the fillit in 1/2 to make it thinner and they were there.

Can anyone help me out with this...

Thanks
    Jason

Re: 2 the Fisheries or N E 1 who can help

Yeah Jason, I have had the same thing in Coral Cod caught around the Bunker Group of Islands. I thought they were some sort of heavy metal, like Mercury. But as it turns out , they are worms. Yes, believe it or not. Quite harmless. I did as you, and cut them out for the fear of eating something I was not familar with.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

being worms and being noticable to see. did u still eat the fish. did u realise after you ate the fish taht you ate the worms as well.

can they cause any probs.. diarear, stomach pains, worms, etc?

we've got the fillits sitting in the freezer. but we aren't real sure if we want to eat it or not.

Ausfish Addict

Hey Jason when I used to work at the Fish Markets quite a few years ago most of the coral trout from bundy and gladstone were full of em.. the filleters just used to nick the ones u could see out of the flesh and left the ones deeper in the flesh..apparantly they disappear when cooked or so I was told. yuk...