Thread: NSW Government Funds $4 million buy out

nsw_fisheries

NSW Government Funds $4 million buy out

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/news...ar5_buyout.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au."

Re:  NSW Government Funds $4 million buy out

Area closures should be a prerequisite for any commercial fishing restructure or buy-out package. Well done NSW. What a shame that we are still 20 years behind in Queensland.

Re: #NSW Government Funds $4 million buy out

Quote Originally Posted by Vern_Veitch
    Area closures should be a prerequisite for any commercial fishing restructure or buy-out package. Well done NSW. What a shame that we are still 20 years behind in Queensland.
    Hi Vern ,If I may , I will take your last sentence a 'little' out of context..........

"I hope we are more than 20years behind in introducing a Saltwater RFL" , (the $12 boat fee & $SIP & $$$$$$GST,I accept!)

I will conclude with "Effective Fisheries Management costs nothing ,IF the right people are at the helm"
    (I will 'hammer' the actual 'Media Release' wording in another forum)

Keep up the 'good fight' and stay tuned!
    Best Regards as always
    Gazza

Gazza,
    We have had PPV since the Burns Inquiry in 1993 and it has not brought out one single commercial licence. We certainly could not have any faith that a Recreational Fishing Licence would improve that situation in Queensland.
    Besides, The Premier has said "No new taxes".
    SUNFISH does not support a saltwater fishing licence. Our members set our policies and the message was loud and clear. The government takes enough of us in GST that is not paid by the commercial sector and most of that will now be going back to the State Government. We pay our fair share.
    It is time the Government started to put back a bit of what they take from where they got it from. They can find money for football stadiums that will get maybe 100 000 participants but cannot find money to provide decent facilities or management of the 800 000+ recreational fishers.

Vern, is there an actual physical list anywhere of closed/"replenishment" areas as there's certainly several well defined around these parts in particular scallops which as far as I understand is/should be part of the East Coast Trawl Fishery ???.

Similar with northern/southern boundary areas where boats who decide to work certain areas before specific dates are then inhibited (and controlled by VMS) from working in other specific (higher productive) areas until after a specific lay period (somewhere between 6-8 weeks ???)

Cheers, Kerry.

Most of the restrictions Kerry are Marine Park or GBRMPA zoning but there are also fisheries closures to some forms of commercial fishing such as the scallop replenishment areas. The best bet is to contact QB&FP for details or a Marine Park office. They work closely with GBRMPA in the GBR.
    We would like ot see a lot more inshore trawl closures to protect the seagrass beds and juvenile fish grounds but QFS and the Minister still have a mindset of managing the fishery primarily for commercial extraction and we are just a wart on their bums that annoys buggery out of them