Thread: End to Murray Cod Season

nsw_fisheries

End to Murray Cod Season

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/news...2aug28_cod.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: End to Murray Cod Season

100% for closed season on this, a native species.
    Can't fathom WHY trout, an introduced speices afford a similar closed season in some waters, that in effect restricts angling of ALL species.
    Selected New England water is essentially closed to cod angling from June long weekend to the 30th August and the the for he season proper until 1st December. ??? ??? ???

Personally I think that Murray Cod deserve a nil bag limit until they can get them selves sorted out a bit. As far as stocking goes, why are there Millions of trout fingerlings being stocked into waters where they will eat out native fingerlings. I know trout have a good following and some of the most passionate and enthiusiastic anglers ever to walk the face of the earth, but the fact remains they are a predatory species that can decimate natives in water more conjucive to salmonoids than perch. Undue pressure on natives is going to be our down fall, not only bag limits, diverted and restricted water flow due to impoundments, siltation, illegal fishers,cold water releases from dams meaning a unnatural stop to natural spawning,and the list goes on.
    It is widely known that Cod are our only current environmentally friendly weapon against carp and this alone should protect the species from being killed. Not fished for, just killed, nil bag limit for rivers would be beneficial, and a 1 fish bag limit in impoundments maybe??? After all, they do get more stocking in dams than rivers and cant breed in dams anyway. Let the riverdwelling Murrays have a decent crack at sustaining themselves and provide sport for future generations.
    Hodgie.

On top of closed season on Cod & bag limits, I would support "No Take Zones" where a bag limit of ZERO is enforced in selected riverine situations, permanantly. This would allow Cod to be targetted and therefore remain as a resource for recreational anglers. A total ban on them would give rec anglers no say in their future status.

On the trout thing, I can only draw a comparison between them carp & tilapia. All are highly sought after species in their home country, but none have a place in our fragile river eco-systems that are way over expoited without extra pressure from competing species. To protect an introduced feral is sheer folly, irresponsible & outrageously narrow minded. Nothing more #than environmental vandalism. I can only imagine the consequences if a closed season was intorduced on carp or tilapia. #

Help save natives fish, kill a feral today. (blowing up a few un-used and not needed weirs will help too) Remember EXTINCTION IS FOREVER.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Jack_Lives_Here

Hey Fitzy thems the words I is looking for.

I would support that ZERO limit 200% - don't let our natives fall by the way side for those freckled carp things.