Thread: SQUID??????????????????

SQUID??????????????????

can anyone tell me the best times for squid jigging and how i should rig my line up for catching them.

what month is best and is a glow stick better or not

cheers chad

Re: SQUID??????????????????

Squid are an interesting fish !

Well, only from my experience, Squid are attracted to light.

Most folk fishig for Squid from a boat have a light on, the old lantern seemed to work best. But, from a jetty / pier, the ones with lights should work.

Using a squid jig, either hook type that you load a pillie on or the cloth covered imitation prawn type ( with some tuna oil on it ) have done the trick so far.

Months to catch them ? good question.

I know the Wellington Point Jetty works well for them, but can't place a month on them ! bugga.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Phill ???
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Addict

Hi Chad, when i use to live at Redland bay i use to fish exclusively for squid on the clevenland jetty at the 2nd light, unfortunatly no longer there. I found winter the best time with a turning tide around 6 pm and a light westerly to keep the water flat and clear. Found the small pink yazuri the best jig, and had limited succes with a bait jig.In an hour i would average 28 squid. We used to get the arrow squid, calamari and the odd cuttlefish. Even with the light i had a car headlamp lowered into the water as well. And use heaps of chicken pellets, in a large can with holes in lowered into the water, to bring the small bait fish and the squid soon follow. With the head lamp hook two wires to the terminals then cut a softdrink can in half, cut the top or bottom out place over the wires/terminals and fill with resin. when the resin hardens screw in a cup hook to attach a rope. then all you need is an old car battery that will hold a recharge, a trolley, a bucket and your set. I have heard the jetty at wellington point has been firing lately at night. You just cant beat fresh caught and cook your own calamari. Oh by the way just hook the jig straight to the line, no trace, if using a bait jig you will need a sufficient float to keep it off the bottom. I only use to use 4kg line, the drawback is sometimes you will get a big flattie rise off the bottom and take off with the jig, but more often then not you will get it back.
    cheers
    joe.

Any good jetties in the Tweed area for squid catching?

Thanks

R

I was watching the National Geographic Channel on Pay TV just the other night. they were after the Giant Squid babies.

N e way to get to the point. they had the most luck in catching various species of squid in 17 degree c water on the top 1 - 2 m. Even though this was on the eastern side of NZ the basic theory should remain the same.

Wait till the water temp drops.

Who said you don't learn anything watching tv.

hope this helps.