Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fishing Destination?

imported_admin

The Ultimate Fishing Destination?

What would you consider the ultimate fishing destination in Australia that you dream about fishing one day.

If you could go anywhere in Australia to fish for a few days and didn't have the constraints of budget where would you go, what species would you like to target, why that location and species, etc.?

Re: The Ultimate Fishing Destination?

G'day Steve,
    Kakadu and Barra for the sights and the fishing. Beautiful.
    One day definitely. Money can't keep me away forever.
    Luke

imported_admin

Luke

Went to Darwin a couple of months ago, it was Brilliant. The Barra fishing is fantastic up there. Pitty we had to travel so far to fish for them, would be great if they were stocked down here, but that's another topic .

Went to Kakadu, or should I call it what some of the locals called it, Kakadon't . It was nice enough but a bit overated in my books, go to Litchfield National Park instead.

We saw more wildlife and just as nice scenery while we fished at the billabongs then we did at Kakadu. May have been the time of year though.

G'day Steve,
    good to yak to someone who's been there and glad you had a fishtastic time.I also had a look in Sat's courier mail and had an article on Carpentaria Seafaris up the tip and that looks awesome aswell. Great to live in a country like this with so much to offer I've often said to myself what's the point in going overseas and depriving myself the opportunity to see (and fish) as much as I can of my own country. BUT I suppose if I did go overseas I'd like to fish in Papua New Guinea as I've had a mate come back from there spruking about giant black bass.
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    G'day Steve,
    # # # #good to yak to someone who's been there and glad you had a fishtastic time.I also had a look in Sat's courier mail and had an article on Carpentaria Seafaris up the tip and that #looks awesome aswell. Great to live in a country like this with so much to offer I've often said to myself what's the point in going overseas and depriving myself the opportunity to see (and fish) as much as I can of my own country. BUT I suppose if I did go overseas I'd like to fish in Papua New Guinea as I've had a mate come back from there spruking about giant black bass.
    Luke
    Hi Luke,
    Another great spot is Shoalwater Bay in Central Qld. Virtually untouched as it is the military zone, no pros in there either. Can get in there on board with Waikari Fishing Charters out of Stanage Bay or Rosyln Bay (Yeppoon).
    Some pics from a trip there 2 weeks ago:
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/39.jpg
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/40.jpg
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/41.jpg
    Not bad for middle of winter.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Fitzy,
    Absolutely brilliant but your making my feet itchy!!

Brett_Finger

Ok,
    weipa, shoalwater, Hinchenbrook
    all in the middle of summer
    Hookin, Brett

Steve,
    i was chatting with a bloke on line last week who regularly catches marlin off the rocks at Jervis Bay. Sounded like a great trip to me plenty of action.

Can find him on "paltalk" in Robs fishing room. has regular fishing chat most nights.

cheers
    pockets

Yeah mate, I'd have to agree with pockets on this one. The 'Land-based Addiction' videos are really something else. Marlin, huge cobia, tuna, and then 20 ft away you see a 5mtr noah come from the depths and demolish your fish. As soon as I get a TLD50 and a decent LBG stick I'm off to the Jervis Bay rock ledges.

It's all a bit much for me. all these exotic places. I love tossin lures and poppa's around the Whitsundays. Most of the folk up that way, bottom bash. Even down here in Moreton Bay, I take my lures with chasing squire or whatever. Nothing beats the thrill of watching a Big Trevally striking at your poppa 3 or 4 times and then BANG !!!let the games begin. I think the ultimate location doesn't matter, as long as you're out there doin it and not at home thinkin about doin it. 8)
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

MangroveJase

Cape leveque North of Broome, or Quobba north of Carnarvon in W.A. are by far the best places we have stayed and fished. We lived in Kakadu for 12 months, running the bar at Cooinda (Yellow Waters). At the right time of year, it fires, but there are much better barra spots in N.T, most of them saltwater.

Cheers
    Mangrove Jase

Is New Guinea part of Oz?

Probably some of the country in the north-west of Oz for a looksie.

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I was about to go complete fantasy and say all of these exotic destinations overseas but then realised Steve said Australia - thanks Fitzy.

I'd like to emulate a couple of Malcolm Douglas videos. There was one where he took his boat up through the Kimberleys and caught more barra than I've ever seen before in some amazing scenery.

The second was running along the north Western Australiam coastline for about 300+kms. Obviously have to get fuel drops etc but bloody hell it looked fantastic.

Who's got a 6-7m plate alloy boat with a 4 stroke and a spare month of free time and about $2,000. I'm up - believe me - I'm up.

Brett

Ausfish Addict

yep i agree with bugman, after first seeing Malcolm Douglas west of the kimberlies, it has always been my dream, the big spaniards, queenies, mud crabs and oysters, not to metion metion the vast rugged beauty of the country side.
    cheers.

Hi All
    For me it would have to be the Cotteril and Jackson rivers which are on the west coat of Cape York. Absolutley awseome fishing and breathtaking country. Caught 28 different species in the Cotteril in October last year during a 4 day fishing trip.
    Cheers
    Dazza