Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insured or not ?????

Ausfish Addict

Re: insured or not ?????

i've been with the same insurance company, home and contents since 1978, initially it was called cgi i think (don't quote me on that one ??) then hannon home and car now allianz has taken over. Reason i have been with them is my old man use to deal with them as the Queensland Proffessional Fishermans league Secretary. and they did deals for commercial fishermen. To cut to the chase I have had fishing gear stolen out of someone elses boat and it was covered, new for old. Have been broken into twice, different addresses fishing gear lost no problems, new for old. With this mob, anything that is mobile, you take from home is covered as contents. Only thing is havent checked it out since Allianz has taken over.
    cheers.
    joe.

adriancorrea

Hi all 8)
    Checked mine today and it covers accessories.
    When I looked further into it accessories is
    marine radio, sounder gps and the like.
    Fishing gear and diving gear isnt covered.
    Thanks Anzac,
    I'll be getting onto them about this in the morning
    to see if they can cover fishing gear
    and how much extra its going to cost
    otherwise I could be asking Jaybe
    for some details on the company he is with.

Tight Lines
    Adrian

Adrian,

Last time I checked the extra premium was about 3% of the sum insured.

Make sure that the sum insured is related to the amount they will pay, ie, no point (for you) paying a premium you have calculated on new for old value if all they are going to pay is market value.

Good luck!

me again, sorry.

You should also clarify in what circumstances they will pay. For example, will they pay if your tackle box full of lures gets knocked off at the ramp while you park your car. How much?

If your rod and reel jumps out of a rod holder. How much?

If the lot gets knocked off at the campsite while the effects of too many cans of anaesthetic wear off?

If you slam the car door on that super expensive rod (sob)?

adriancorrea

Thanks fishtime
    Just a few more questions to ask in the morning
    Oh how we take things for granted

Tight Lines
    Adrian

adrian

well gang
    the paper work hasn't come through so back to the phones and allianz seams to be the pick so far but it's still open for any other companies if you know of them . it seems if you want to pay the dollars then maybe they 'll think about it .

as for seeing if someone would being willing to right a policy for us i've had very little response from the companies and if anyone else want's to try by all means try

anzac

adrian

just an update C G U insurance will cover your fishing gear anywhere in the world for a 90 day period as part of your contents policy but like most things it's at a price as for the other no one will send me the fine print to read so it makes me think that they are all bluff so make doubly sure before you go on holidays or you too may find out the same way i did

Anzac

adrian

the guys on the camping board are looking for this article

hiya anzac,
    so sorry to hear about the stolen gear.Its a real bummer
    It does pay to check out the small print doesnt it.
    I just had some gear stolen out of my garage.It was about $600 worth,so not quite as bad. It had all been in the house,safely kept in the laundry,but wife was sick of seeing it there,and wanted it out of the way.So eventually,to keep the peace,it put it out in the garage.So now it is gone,and i missed most of the winter off-shore action.BUMMER!!
    I did the right thing,reported it to police etc etc,so i had a record for insurance claim.But when i approached insurance company,i was told that since i live in a duplex and my garage was not securely sectioned off from neighbour's,i couldn't make a claim....BUMMER BUMMER !!
    I always kept my side of garage locked,and always checked that neighbour's side was pushed shut(and if you didnt know better,it was so hard to open that u would think it locked) Sadly thou,painters had been working at our units,and garage doors had been open a few too many times,and i guess some low-life walking past had seen gear.
    Missed the winter off-shore action ,and now i miss my gear !
    Guess it comes down to my fault,and i have to take it as lesson learnt,...read policy details,keep gear out of sight,dont listen to wife,...(joking)...and store valuables in a locked bedroom. (hmmmm...wonder if my policy covers fishing gear stolen out a locked bedroom..or do i need to have a guard dog in there as well ??)
    Perhaps the thing that took the sting out of my loss,was reading in Bush n Beach that Mono Stewart had a huge amount of decent gear stolen out of his boat.
    I feel for these lowlifes who take our hard earned gear....OR I WISH I COULD FEEL THEM..... SQUIRMING ON THE END OF A LINE,OVER SOME DEEP REEF,WITH LOTS OF SHARKIES CIRCLING AROUNDS ! > >
    Who said these types had no worth ?? lol
    Suppose if u look hard you can find a silver lining to every situation..atleast i got the new gear i as after !!

G'day Peewee
    Yes, I wasn't pleased about loosing all that gear but I'm hoping karma takes its coarse. I'm not sure whats going on in our society but since then I've had other stuff stolen off the boat, only smaller stuff like a couple of hundred bucks worth of snapper leads etc. The boat and contents are insured with LUMLEY GENERAL and had no problems sending a cheque imediatly to replace the stolen goods.

What I didnt mention in that article was, only a month prior to the boat robbery, our house was robbed of all my camera equipment, a large lump of cash and other items totalling around $15,000. The worrying thing for me was my wife, three young kids and myself were in the house at the time and didnt hear a thing!!!
    The police eventually caught the guy, who had done the same thing to 28 other places around our town. He wasn't a druggy, he was a compulsive gambler!!!

May your ratchet keep screamin'.
    Capt Mark Mono Stewart
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

Dont know about theft, but I had a pretty bad accident towing a boat a few years ago & had virtually everything in the boat destroyed. Was (and am still with) Club Marine & they paid out not a problem. Approved the lot with 48 hours from memory. Not alot of fishing gear on board at the time, but several thoudand dollars in electronics were just about unrecognisable & they didn't even want to see the bits.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Hi Everyone

Im with suncorp metway .. My insurance is for $8200, costs about $160 a year.. I made them write down the following accessories on the certificate:

bimini top
    seats
    safety gear
    ladder
    boat cover
    rod rack
    motor stand
    ear muff
    tie down
    2 marine batteries
    battery covers
    fish finder
    electric charger (never in boat oops)
    extension handle
    rod holders
    rods
    reels
    cast net
    electric motor

I increase the insurance by $1800 and cost only $18

Also, they said that if stolen while camping they cover everything but if at home, the boat has to be secured withing the perimeter...

Hope this helps...

David

ps. gonna read the terms and conditions tonight just to double check as you can never believe an issurance company over the phone he he

adrian

aalso check that it don't say locked in the cabin or locked away as how can you lock something up in a tinnie. club marine has that in their very fine print ..
    hope the guys who asked for this in the camping section have taken a lookt at this post

anzac

Ausfish Addict

Good show CMC however, what, if any, is the depreciation on accessories is this covered in the value old for new? if so sounds the way to go
    cheers
    Joe