Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: new bag limits

Re: new bag limits

Your dead right gazza, ive been handing out the regs for nearly a week now and most people are not aware of the fact that as of tomorow they could face prosecution and heavy fines. Quite a number of people when asked if they are aware of the new regs respond with: so how are we supposed to know where we can and cant fish? Seems like the great barrier marine park authorities have much better publicity officers than the dpi. Its fairly obvious that nowhere near enough publicity has been done on this subject.As you say most fishos on this site are fairly on the ball with whats going on but your average once-a-year tourist hasnt got a hope in hell of making sense of this before his holiday in a weeks time. Another common one Im getting is people think that thier 20 fish includes all species even pelagics. I just hope that fisheries show a bit of leaniency towards those who do mean to do the right thing. One week is all they have allowed for pamphlets to be distributed, read and understood. Up until today some tackle shops still havent recieved copys of the regs to hand out to thier customers. Not good enough Henry!

Jeez it's good to see so many taking part in this ' debate '. What this does , is get the tongues going and in so doing , that helps others to make sense of the regs. The more you talk, possibily, the more you learn.

Well Dazza, 300 Bream at night sessions don't really happen. That may have been for 2 people in a boat. The best catch this year ( by a Club fisherman ) was 170. Having said that, Bream don't come under bag limit regs, for a specific reason, they are not in danger. Club records from up to 50 years ago confirm that numbers of fish caught then and now have remained constant. Same as Whiting. BUT, I do know what ya saying, and I believe that Clubbies, in particular, should have a re-think on the way they operate.

As JB was saying about us old timers, 20 years ago we may have been putting a good number of fish in the esky, but hey, at he time, the FISH were in good numbers and didn't appear to be waneing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But, once we started to see fish number reductions, the first folk to say ' we should do something about this ' was the rec fishoes. We just needed a bold Government to make the changes.

And sure, rec fishoes equipment has improved out of sight in recent years, and so have the Pro's " effort ". So again, the old ' blame ' finger pointing happens, and yes Joe, we are all in there somewhere. But, at least we ( recs ) are doing something, and all that is, is obeying the Law and practicing " catch & Release ".

Just because ya jumped up and down a while ago , JB, doesn't mean law has to change imediately, and it never will. The Government process is a long drawn out affair that depends on elections and enthusiasum by those elected. But I'm sure, yourself and others can look back in years to come and say " I had a hand in helping this resource, I had my say ! "

Let's just hope we can put a little ' reverse spin' on what has happened over the last 20 years.

And a big help, will be no more JB, out there doing the big ones .

If for some reason, you are not happy with the regs as they stand, tell someone, NOT ya mates at work, tell Henry, Peter, Robert, or at least your local member. And don't just email, write them once. Get into it, make it a monthly effort, weekly effort, daily effort!

The rec and pro fishing industry , I think, is the most Economic Productive industry that Australia has, in that the vast majority of money spent in this industry stays in Oz. That fact should be re-inforced to anyone you speak to, who happen to be on the publics' payroll

cheers Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

G/day all i have just read all the 8 pages of this topic and i think we have lost the real reason for our love of fishing, its not not the amount of fish we get, or the type of fish we get surely its because we just love to fish. A good example of this is when i arrive home from my monthly,weekly, daily fishing trips my darling wife says to me CATCH ANY ? and more often than not i say no, but as we all know theres always next time ! Remember playing the game is better than the win or lose.

CHEERS RAY

Rakinray
    I think that the purpose for this topic is to encourage people to discuss swap ideas and learn about our chosen lifestyle. Up here in queensland we have a huge range of different species, all with different size and bag limits. Some of these have only very subtle differences for identification purposes. As fishermen in this area it is very important to know these differences and how the rules affect each different species. I dont think that you will find many fishermen or women who are soley interested in filling the esky, but many of us do enjoy going out to catch a feed. It is therefore vital that we all understand the new regs and how they effect us when pulled up at the ramp. I personaly get my greatest satisfaction from my fishing when I set out to target a certain species, do the reasearch and come home having achieved the desired goal, wether that be bringing home a feed or just doing some catch and release. As much knowledge as possible is the way to go regardless of how many fish I catch. Another purpose to this forum is just to help others understand the rules as well.
    Try playing cards or monopoly without knowing the rules!

REGARDS TONY

G/day tony i agree with all the regs mate no probs with that but my point was that the topic was turning into a shit fight !I just felt they had got away from the issue. Like you i live in QLD and i too fish the bay and offshore so any thing thats going to help our fish stocks be around for our grandchildren im all for.I just wish i had to worry about the 20 in posession rule.

CHEERS RAY

Graham_N_Roberts

20 fish? 20 fish? crikey mate, I wouldn't know what to do with them if I bagged 2!

I've stayed out of this topic so far (dumb old freshwater fishos aren't affected by this). However, someone at work today said to me that he was thinking about cutting the pectoral fins on everything he catches & releases. Big chance it will heal up, but will deny the pros that fish if captured later?

Apart from the fact its not real good in the fish, has anyone got any comments on this?

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Gorilla_in_Manila

Fitzy,
    Thought crossed my mind also, but bit harsh on the fish.
    Also, do you think a pro will release the fish in a state that it actually survives? Probably just get chucked over the side dead and no good to anyone. Don't know if the pros are allowed to say they caught some as a rec angler, and therefore keep it themselves also. ???
    Might also single the fish out for a predator's lunch if it looks weaker than the other fish.
    Therefore can't see the point in maiming a fish to try and spite the pros. A couple of fish in a couple of tons isn't really going to make a difference anyway - far better to buy them out or restrict them.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    PS please tell that little guy casting his heart out at the bottom of your posts, that he ain't gunna catch nothing except seagulls unless the actually drops the line in the water.

Poor bloody fish would most likely get dizzy, swimming left or right in circles, depending what side you snipped.

Fitzy
    Reckon you got about 2 chances of a fish surviving without a pectoral fin before it gets eaten- None and a damn site less. The theory behind it is good though! The pros would just kill em to spite us back anyway. Dont think anybody would win out that one especially not the fish.

Fitzy, the pros would sell the fish as fillets ???

The bloke who told you this Gary, needs a good rodgering. He is in a minority of " One " when it comes to thinking like that.

Better leave it there................

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

".... thinking about cutting the pectoral fins on everything he catches & releases .... to deny pros ...."

Honestly how bloody mindless are some people.

Cheers, Kerry.

There appears this misconception (for want of a better word) coming thru regarding those that might catch a few occasionally and if deemed to have caught 20 fish whoa behold them badged/called all sorts of things yet the regular fisho who by their own admission fishes at every opportunity (several/many times a week) keeps a couple, lets a few go is slotted into a different mould, something about looking after the fishery etc etc etc.

Anyway, what makes one actually different from the other, the person who due to conditions, weather, distance etc cathes a few more than some people expect every so often (maybe months, even many months apart) of them or the person catching one or two every second day and generally in areas where fish populations are at their most vulnerable due to proximity to population centres etc

One could/might hazard a guess at who is actually affecting the "thinking" about this stock decline type of stuff the most.

Perceptions are not necessarily as they might first appear.

Cheers, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    The bloke who told you this Gary, needs a good rodgering. He is in a minority of " One " when it comes to thinking like that.

Better leave it there................

Phill
    Gary ,the fish was NOT dead ,before clipping ,it IS illegal , and,and,and...

C&R Fishos MAIM fish ,is not a good headline