Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: new bag limits

Re: new bag limits

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    I have to partly agree with Dazza, I would like to ' see ' the Law on the water a lot more, maybe not get checked everytime, but certainly like a presence there.

And Gazza, mate, you sound a little jealous of people like Dazza and Cloud_9, and come to think of it, about a 100 other fishoes on this site, that fish twice a week or more.

I used to do the same theory about 1 bloke going fishing twice a week every week of the year and say, hey you caughta thousand fish this year, and I only go on a charter and am allowed 20, or I get out once a month and get 10 times less than you. #Well, so what. #Fishing is a lifestyle that sits in different positions in ones list of priorities.

This ' Life " is NOT a rehearsal, it is here and now and no second chances. #Prioritize your life. #If it is tyhat important to catch the same amount of fish as the twice-a-weekers, do it.

Over the years ( and I have been around for many ), I have had numerous folk say to me, ' Hey, next time you go fishing, give me a call and I'll come along ". #I call, and they always seem to find an ' excuse ' not to go.

I use the 3 strikes method now, and have my list of deckies shortened to ' real ' fishoes. #At the end of the day guys, and that's all of us, #practice good fishing methods and practice the rules, you get that warm fuzzy feeling inside, and that's what counts.

Let's face it, the more you fish, the better you become and the more aware of your ' fishing' surounds. #There will come a stage in the " Ladder of Fishing Life " where you reach a rung that allows you to be selective. #For those of us that have reached this, you know what I mean. #But some of the most rewarding experiences is climbing that Ladder.

Yours.......Phill #the Fill-oss-a-Fir

# # # # # # # # # # # # 8) # # # # #
    Yeah Phil ,poor choice of word, "Envious" fits better ,and closer to reality , of what I meant

(note:- will edit jealous ---->Envious)
    Wow ,102+ fishos , "Fishing for Recreation ,not for profit" twice a week or so..............excellent!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Do you ALL have ugly spouses ???
    and can't imagine why anybody would "cancel" on a fishing trip

The other point Phil ,was that I can understand WHY you/Dazza etc. wouldn't want more than a 'few' by fishing often ,compared to those with the odd trip every now and then, but you shouldn't include all 600,000 fishos in that same boat ,as Joe mentioned above ,it ain't cheap to fish

And beware of the LCD (lowest common denominator) ,or we all will have a 20--->10---->5 problem in the future, IF you get my drift
    Hope that clarifies the fill-os-if-err in ya
    Regards
    Gazza

It ain't cheap to fish ?

I suppose it's all in the interpretation of " cheap ".

I have fished twice this week already and the first trip I used $4 in car fuel and $6 in boat fuel. #Second trip, car and boat fuel was paid for by deckie.

Bait was caught on a previous trip. Consumables equalled 1 can of coke.

I might have to put you, Gazza, on my deckie list for some $10 Moreton Bay trips. # # # # #

Of course the offshore and big rig trips cost more !

Good fishing and cheers # #Phill

In reality, to me anyway, fishing ( this ones ) was cheap, and got a feed to boot.

It gets me away from the ' ugly ' missus and the anklebitters and the phone and the mowers etc. #These trips were straight after work.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

gazza,
    just to clarify, i may get out weekly, but never bring home 20 fish, i am too bloody lazy to clean them 8) 8). i often bring home nothing. (catch and release) and sometimes don't catch anything worth keeping.
    i try and avoid freezing fish, and mainly eat fresh, therefore usually one or two fish is ample for my family.
    i am able to do this as i have chosen to live near the ocean so i can fish and enjoy the outdoors. for me, life is too short and i want to be doing the things i love.
    i also don't want to see checkpoint charlieland, but some visible presence would be good.
    gazza, i am often chasing a decky, come out for a fish, relax and enjoy the outdoors, we may even bring home a feed, pm if interested.

thanks to phill and jb and others, for trying to clarify the new regs, i recon the people trying to enforce them will be more confused than us

i'm going fishin'
    dazza

Did anybody see last sat courier mail?
    Apparently there was some contradicting stuff in there about hussar not being included in the 20 CRFF limit. This write up was supposedly by the dpi. Had about 3 people tell me about it but still havent seen it myself. I will try and get hold of a copy. If any one has it let us know how it reads.

REgards Tony

gif

This was the front page article

New laws set to hook fishermen
    Steven Wardill
    06dec03

RECREATIONAL anglers dropping a line during the Christmas break have been warned about new restrictions on what they can take home for their festive feasts.

Limits on the number and size of numerous fish species that can legally be caught come into force next weekend along with a range of other measures.

The looming deadline has sparked fears that many casual anglers might not be aware of the reforms and could be inadvertently fined for what had been legal.

Anglers caught breaking the new laws face on-the-spot fines from $150 to a maximum $75,000.

Sunfish Queensland executive officer David Bateman said fishers would now have to take a "wad of documents" with them to ensure what they caught was legal.

"It is a Christmas present that is going to take a fair bit of unwrapping," he said.

Mr Bateman called on the Government to go easy enforcing the confusing array of laws on anglers over Christmas.

But Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk rejected suggestions anglers might not be aware of the reforms.

Mr Palaszczuk said the Queensland Fisheries Service had ensured fishers were made aware of the changes with widespread information, including several new brochures on the changes.

He said he was confident the laws would be adhered to with 90 per cent of inspections by Queensland Fisheries Patrols finding current laws were being followed.

The new rules take effect on December 13 and include the State Government's coral reef fin fish management plan and new limits for spanish mackerel and blue swimmer crabs.

Under the coral reef plan new size and bag limits will be introduced, seven species will added to the no-take list and the total combined limit of reef fish capped at 20.

Anglers on charter trips also will face tough new restriction in a bid to stop over-fishing.

Coral reef fish will only be allowed to be taken by handline or rod while recreational fishers will be allowed to use hand-held spears or spear gun. Anglers are limited to the use of a maximum of six hooks in any configuration and may only use up to three lines at a time.

One of the most controversial measures is to ban recreational fishers taking more than three spanish mackerel each, a significant reduction on the current 10 fish limit.

Another significant restriction will be the move to change the method of measuring blue swimmer or sand crabs to a "notch-to-notch" system with a minimum legal size of 11.5cm.

Mr Palaszczuk said such a system would stop unscrupulous anglers keeping crabs under the legal spine-tip measurement of 15cm by breaking the tip so a measurement cannot be taken.

Other new measures include provisions for filleting fish at sea and removing the authority to use live red claw crayfish as bait at one of north Queensland's most popular angling spots, Lake Tinaroo.

THIS article was posted earlier - about 6 pages back.
    THE ARTICLE potentially referring to Hussars was on page 5 - but I could not see it on the web for download. I will try to get a copy and type it out the old fashioned way.
    Gary

Ausfish Addict

Gee Gary you are a bit slow eh i posted that on the 8th Dec
    keep up with it eh, same heading under general chat, DUH
    cheers
    Joe.

Lucky (better be /Dazza Bribie? ,accept both [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ,toooo short notice for now ,Jan 2004 ,sounds a great possibilty. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

p.s. hopefully storms and 3 mtr waves , but DON'T rely on me to supply the burley , but do expect a good bumshot of me pulling the anchor ,and contributing to costs

Gazza 8)

Some interesting notes, straight from the DPI, Saltwater, Freshwater & Noxious Species " Fish Guide ".

Hussar ( Lutjanus adetii )

Notes :- This abundant fish is taken by line fishig along rocky mainland shores, around islands and adjacent reefs. Hussars form extensive shoals that may dominate your catch when you are seeking other species.

Shoot man, if they are in great numbers as suggested, why the %%$ do they get put into the CRFF regs ?

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Addict

well from feedback i recieved tonight it just doesnt pay to post on this board, as in previous instantances, eh, not being a member of the rat pack i guess i deserve it but who gives a shit, i did try to warn everyone two years ago about this (and crabmac) and was howled down eh, shit happens. i don't care, i am at a stage (health wise) i cant fish anymore. when it all boils down, every fisherperson on this site and in australia, only have themselves to blame for over fishing 20 yrs ago. no good trying to point the finger now. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE so put up and shut up i say.
    cheers
    Joe

HI Just going through the new prochure on all this bullshit they have just brought out, but heres a few interesting topics.
    First off for the hulla bull loo on some one posting a jack photo and all you vegie eater and do gooders say all jacks should be released, how come there's no bag limit on jacks, fisheries must think theres plenty out there.

This is new on me Coral reef fin fish closed seasons
    alll coral reef fish have a closed season during the new moon perioeds for spawning,
    2004 8 oct to 16oct
    6nov to 14 nov
    6 dec to 14dec.
    Didnt know about that one,

Skinning and filleting fish
    What if i want to have a feed of fish on board during a allniter.

Misceallaneous prohibitions.
    Jagging or foul hooking fish, shite am i supposed to send a note down with me bait telling the bloody fish how to swallow the hook.

Just a few that stood out
    regards

Geez Joe after you last little outburst, i'd suggest you find a good "Shrink", and tell him all you woes.
    regards

Ausfish Addict

GEE Brian sounds like you are just as confused as everyone else eh, even the fisheries give different answers to people who ring them,Oh BTW, be careful how you write your next fishing trip up in BNB, it may be seen by the fisheries that you have taken over ya quota, guess, it may just pay to stay home and buy ya fish eh. cheers
    Joe

Ausfish Addict

oh damn it appears u wrote as i did, such is life eh, by the way brian, i am a qualified welfare worker/counsellor, wont say anymore, here, good for assignments tho.
    cheers
    Joe

Ausfish Addict

If everyone on this board over the age of thirty eight pushed for bag limits 20 yrs ago we would be sweet now. I think! I can put my hand up and say I am guilty of over fishing all those years ago. Thing is why has the government made it so confusing for both sides of the fence?
    Minister Henry Palaszczuk rejected suggestions anglers might not be aware of the reforms
    i know quite a few people who arent aware of the new regs, well they do now as i have told them. I am not into tv and print media, more radio and net, and yet i have not heard any advertising on the radio, and only seen it through this web site, not all anglers spend time in a tackle shop, i have enough gear to keep me going for quite a while yet. Typical of an Government i spose, keep us in the dark and feed us on S***. It appears there is no amnesty over the christmas break, so some anglers might be in for an extra xmas present they cant afford.

JB,
    you hit the nail on the head. we are paying for past practices.
    nothing gives me the shits more than some oldtimer saying "geez, we used to go fising and catch 300 bream a night etc etc" whats wrong with you young fellas. my usual reply is "if you had not played a part in wiping out the resource there would be plenty around." take it another step further and look at land clearing, pesticide residues etc etc. as well. we cannot repair past damage, but we can go a long way to improve things.
    If Henry thinks everyone knows about the new regs, what a joke. The majority of this thread is about some fairly well read and researched fishos trying to make sense out of it, how is some bloke taking his kids fishing over christmas supposed to understand them
    cheers
    dazza