Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2004 #M & #G #Moreton Bay

Re: 2004 #M & #G #Moreton Bay

Hey there guys, is there still alot of you going to the M&G with the weather the way it is and storms every arvo. I'm not that keen on the little white flashes that come with the storm not in a tinnie. Are the boats in site of the camp site so the gear stays safe? Or is it just BYO lots of grog, Green Death, Jack or Jim or a brew? On the other hand we could just fish (or both)
    Life begins when you get one!!!

Saturday: NW/W winds 15/20 knots with a possible late NE/N seabreeze to about
    15 knots. Seas to 1.8 metres.

This forecast is NOT good.

The BoM will update it's forecast later tonight and we'll have to make a decision then.

The trouble being, getting most of the smaller baots over to Straddie. Those N/W winds will pick them up and dump them on the beach at Bradburys. An option is to stay at Horseshoe bay, but the same problem arises about actually getting there.

I was going Friday arvo. But that might have to change. Even leaving from southern ramps like Redlands wind will be a prob.

We have an alternate date for next weekend.

Staytuned for further details. Webby will be able to post more info later tonight. What's the general concenses ?

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Lucky_Phil,

I have plans to go across in the dart departing from Raby Bay (RBC) around midday on friday. Figure on scooting over before the wind gets up. My house overlooks the bay so I can keep a close eye on the wind and weather.

My recollection of the one mile is that it is fairly protected from westerly winds, especially once the tide goes out and the sand banks at the entrance become exposed. So not too concerned about the anchorage. Getting home on Sunday could be an issue, but figure on trailing one of the larger boats.

Recall that it is also very protected in the bar at the Little Ship Club.

Argo.

Hi All, Well the Gods of weather have waved their wrath on weather this weekend and the extended out look really doesnt look promising, although the 1 mile anchorage is fairly protected, it that trip across that'll have the hairs on the back of your neck standing upright .
    Early morning trips before the wind get up would get you across, but from around midday the bay would only be good for sailing or surfing.
    This might not deter the bigger rigs, but seeing as a majority are in small rigs, and we dont want the VMR working overtime looking after us.
    I would personnely put the kite wash on this weekend, so you can catch up on your homely chours.
    The following weekend was set down as the alternative, so if you all want this M & G to go ahead, this will have to be the weekend. (big tides and big moons this weekend).
    Phill will have to do the organizing as Steve Brown and myself will be off Brunswich Heads with Mono, hopefully with good weather chasing big mean fish.
    So PHILL over to you Blue Leader
    regards

Webby
    Well what a shame - I've been packing the gear in the rain up here this afternoon.
    Better safe than sorry though. As I said to Craigie this afternoon, I'm very inexperienced at open water stuff and if there was the slightest risk, there's always another weekend.

I'll get on the blower to Craigie, we may opt to go up the Nerang River tomorrow and Sat. We may give you a bell. At this stage I am still heading to Craigie's place with the boat at 8am tomorrow morning.
    Regards
    Sav

Well, The Blue Leader says,

The wind forecast tells me there will not be a lot of fishing done. #That only means more drinking, which would be unusual for an M & G.

The forecast also tells me that a very early am departure to Straddie will be the order of the day. #Further, storms and wind play a part in the decision. #The bay is NOT a nice place to be in a 20-25 knot N/W, trust me, I've been there and don't want to do it again.

So, at this stage, I am prepared to go on Saturday morning. #Having said that, there are a couple of guys going over Friday, I have their mobiles and will be ringing for a ' live ' update on the anchorage situation at Bradbury's and bay conditions. #This information will be passed on in here later that afternoon or early evening.

So my fellow fishoes, be prepared for a wet bot bot, and wind burn, sore heads and a white knuckle ride home !

[move]Stay tuned, Ferets ![/move]

Phill # # # 8) # # # # # # # #???

Big_Kev

Yee Haa.

Re: 2004  M &  G  Moreton Bay

Well, Lucky, I still have the weekend free.

Sounds like the weather isn't very good for fishing, but as you said, some drinking will take it's place.

Have you made a decission to take me, or have you been able to convince someone else to have me for the weekend ?

IN the pm, you said there was room in your tent, how big is it ?

Are you sure, all I need is a esky with drinks, as you said you would supply the rest ?

I look forward to meeting some of these other guys.

Greta

[issued 0436 Friday]
    FORECAST FOR MORETON BAY
    Friday until midnight: NW winds 15/20 knots increasing to N'ly 20/25 knots in
    the afternoon. Seas to 1.8 metres. Scattered showers and thunderstorms chiefly
    afternoon and evening.
    Saturday: NW/W winds 15/20 knots with a possible late NE/N seabreeze to about
    15 knots. Seas to 1.5 metres.
    Sunday: NW winds 15 knots shifting NE/N at 20 knots in the afternoon. Seas to
    1.5 metres.

Based on this forecast, and very early am departure Saturday will be the go.

So, trip still on as of now and further confirmation tonight.

Cheers Phill

Another option is for those with fourbies to go over on the barge, n/w - w will be perfect for a beach session or two, especially early in the morning. At this stage thats what I'm thinking, don't think my boat will be going over anyway.

Do you need a 4wd to get to the campsite ???

Damn

I'm off work today ....had the boat serviced, put in a live bait tank, bought the grog and food, cleaned up the fishing gear, pumped up my enthusiasm ... and shabbam here comes a 20 - 30knot North Westerly... could there be a worse wind??

Details from Cleveland weather station
    Last Update
    10:44 on 30/1/04 Aust EST Refresh

Wind Direction
    Current NW
    Daily Avg 333
    Wind Speed
    Current 18.2 kn
    Daily High 25.6 kn
    High Time 10:26
    Daily Avg 13.4 kn
    Month Avg 9.6 kn
    Month High 34.8 kn
    High Date 19/1/04
    Year Avg 9.6
    Year High 34.8 kn
    High Date 19/1/04

So now ...What to do?
    I am now no longer going over this morning/tonight, we are having a 4am start tomorrow morning, packing the camping gear aboard and seeing how things end up out on the water...

If anyone else is out there , you can contact me on 0422 974 009.......

Brissy Guy, The beach Sharkbait is talking about would be Main Beach at Straddie So Yes you would need a 4WD , However the beach that was proposed to have the M&G at you would not... It is accessible by car or a bit of a walk from the barge/water taxi..

Lets all pray to weather gods for a good day tomorrow

Adam

Cheers Adam [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Well it doesnt look like we are going to make it to the m&g, really sorry but gettin smashed in the open boat isnt the best, plus i really want some spotties so we are going to keep drivin an make mooloolabah our weekend destination. Hopefully the weather gods will make sunday a nice day out offshore up there. Hope everyone has a good weekend, and gets out to get a few fish.

JB

Cross my team off the list, sorry fellas, the arvo storms are a chance with this wind and its really not worth the risk of having trees come down on the camp. cheers rob