Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HAD A GUT FULL

HAD A GUT FULL

I went on a recent trip to a northern Beach with my brother and a work mate. We settled into a nice gutter about 15 km north of the track onto the beach, probably the best one on the whole beach as we treavelled all the way up to the point before deciding on this one. Anyway, we pulled a few worms before nightfall and got onto some nice whiting say 35-40cm, some good 7 spot dart and a couple of lizards.Changing to our tailor gear a few beers later we started to get onto a few good fish about 2kg plus, one hit the scales at close to 4kg. Also some quality bream & tarwhine made up for a good catch for the night.Anyway to the point of what we've had a gutfull of. Through the grapevine that night (and I don't know how)
    we were horrified to learn our good mates the net fisherman learn't of our catch & went to the same exact spot and completely decimated the fish population in the gutter. Here's a rough list of what they caught.

1/4 ton of tailor, 5 of which were over 5.5kg.
    70 bream over 2kg not to mention the ones under 2kg.
    2 fish bins of large whiting.
    Many dart, don't know how many, and god knows what else was dragged of the bottom.

It's not the fact that we hate the pros, they have to make a living too, but at this rate it's obvious that something has to be done.What about a government buyback scheme funded through a fishing licene for amatuer fisherman in Queensland. I don't know about everyone else but in years to come I would like to take my kids fishing for something other than toadfish.
    Thank you for your concern.

Re: HAD A GUT FULL

that sound disgusting boomer
    those pros sound like the ones that give them all the bad name
    i'm in no way linked to pros or agree with them alot but there are some really good pros out there that are looking after the fish and know that they can not do what those pro did there after all if they want to be pros longer than 50 years time they need to look after the breeders
    on thing i belive most fish should have are upper and lower limits (slot sizers)
    and our beach running freinds a closed net/fishing season

but i know a few of the blokes & gal on here now and it is a releaf to see many have there own bag/size limits and fish for the fun
    the reson i type this is that almost every day i and i know others see the same rec fishermen come home with a fish box full to be cleaned at the cleaning table now fair enoght if it was a once or twice thing a year but there are a few and they know who they are that do this almost everyday just to plam the fish off to friends and have a freezer full for the relos!

now that is what makes me sick!
    sooner we have everyone looking out for the fish first and the freezer/pocket second the fishing will then be back to utopia

That situation is BS. #It has to stop.

All netting is outdated and antiquated. #( is that a word ? ).

A netter did that sort of thing to a high profile person in DPI ( or higher ) and that's why the netters are now banned from Straddie ( well, some beaches ).

This sort of inncidence #should be reported to :-

Henry Palaszczuk
    E-mail Address(es):
    #DPI@ministerial.qld.gov.au
    Business Information:
    #Phone: 32393000
    Notes:
    Minister for Fisheries

Better still, copy and paste your report to him.

Cheers # Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Big_Kev

I have had pro fishers pull up beside me on the beach, and net the gutter I was fishing right before my eye's > > >.
    Couldn't get over the hide of these guys.

Hehehe funny stuff

Don't you guys know the pro's have webcams set up every 100m along the beach just watching you guys pull them in. Some of the really hitech ones have infrared for you sneaky buggers that try to hide from them by fishing at night.

I better not leave it that some people might believe it sorry I'm in one of those moods.

Boomer a lot of pros will hit the beach at daylight, the fish might be sitting wide so they will move on and come back later to see if they have come in closer. That or they might run past a gutter see the fish sitting there and shoot the net there and then. Usually you will find the pros might have been watching the school for a day or two maybe waiting for a couple of smaller schools to join up or a bigger school to come in closer or move into an easier gutter. Unfortunately when they shoot a net the fish that don't get caught scatter and get very shy.

It would be a desperate pro that shot a gutter just because a few amateurs pulled 20 or 30 fish from it the night before.

I don't like them shooting where I have been fishing either but it happens, just move to the next gutter and think to yourself that at least those poor bastards that don't fish will at least be getting a fresh feed.

The only complaint I have from that shot you are talking about is the dart will probably end in cat food.

so none of you have never had a feed of fish & chips or a prawn platter at your local ?

Boomer,

exactly when and where did this happen?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

redfoot we aren't saying all pro fishing has to be stoped just monited more and inspected a hell of a lot more
    the ones that stick to the quoter system are fine but alot of fish gets sold on the blackmarcket still and thats what we are all worried about
    i still wonder why mullet is netted off the beaches each year when most of it ends up as cat food
    but when they do run the nets alot is getting caught and you never see them through the undersize ones or bycatch back in!

I have had contact with people in the know, and these practices are coming under review in the early part of this year.

Let's hope the appropriate measures don't take too long to impliment.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

pros sell fish on the black?
    why would they do that?
    im not trying to be a smartarse but i hear pros getting bagged all the time then the same people turn around and buy a feed of seafood or a bag of pilchards

ps but maybe sams seafood needed these fih to teach housewives how to fillet-then threw them out

as i said in my first post on this thread
    there are alot of good pros that look after the fish
    just like us rec fisherman it is the minority that let us down

so why were these pros "the minority"?
    what exactly did they do wrong?

the ones selling on the blackmarket and overfishing their quoters
    those pros
    the pros that sell there fish soo cheap what chance has anyother pro got to make money!