Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: NQ M&G Cardwell... REPORT

Re: NQ M&G Cardwell, weekend 21st 22nd FEB???

Or better yet, alan, do you have any marks you wish to share

NQCairns

Hi all,

Here is a few of those marks mapped out, and some other from my book if anyone has any more non secret coordinates PM me and I will map where they are, and give credit
    Tim there must be a new version of fishfinder because for the life of me I cannot find those marks in minem, might have to upgrade.
    PS I measured Knife from the ramp 150km+ one way!!!!
    Dont know where otter is

I think its just to the north of brito mart reef, similar distance away as bramble is to brito??

NQCairns

If that is it, then 52km shortest trip dodging sandbars and islands and 21km from nearest landfall. Big distanced involved for reef trips. I visited GBRMPA site to download their current lockout zones etc and they have nothing of value on site that i could find, amazing they can get away with that type of behaviour. There was usefull maps there once I am sure, just trying to make it harder for us all I think, smoke n mirrors.nq

Barrymundi

Bramble is a good option from Lucinda, not from Cardwell.

Good Spots, sorry Guys only fished the Southern Reefs, Bramble - Pith. North I have fished out to Cape Richards. On the Channel side of things #I have fished at least 80% of the area. As regular fishos know a spot is only good on certain tides, certan moons and certain times of the year.

Think like you would any other spot you fish, watch for backwaters, run offs, legdes, holes, changes in bottom structure. Cape Richards is one of the best Mackerel spots inshore. Watch out for the HUGE turtles.

If you go into Missionary Bay it pays to be up todate with the Dugong Transit Lanes. There is a good brochure around, not sure if it GBRMPA, QFS or NPWS.

It is handy to find your ways into creeks. It gives bearings. Not sure if the dugong know not to travel in the lanes

Heres a Barra from Seymour, early moring, dropping tide, RH Bank near mouth, Lure SNAGMASTER - DK LURES, The creek was silting up a bit last time I was there, but the recent rain may have fixed that problem

Barrymundi

Missionary Bay,

Save file and zoom out to see details

Barrymundi

Reef, once again save file and zoom in for details

NQCairns

Thanks ><> I have just spent an hour relating your maps to my sat images, found many interesting fishing coordinates to check out , also some areas to avoid around half tide with a bit of wind around at getting home time. Thanks again [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] nq

Mad_Barry

Spent the day in the channel (from Fishers ck), the bottom end from about Deluge ck sth is still very dirty from the run off from recent rains. The top end is still pretty clean.

3 of us flicked lures all day, mainly in the creeks on the island side. we got 8 small barra. "we" is a good word. # , one got 5, one got 3, and one got a duck. yeah, yeah that was me with the duck #, ....(don't start, I've been copping it all the way home this evening #)

Al, Brownie ended up with the 5, so it was his turn to feed it to me #> #

I'm not real sure of what boats you are all heading up there with, but be a bit careful, some of those places being mentioned to fish are quite some distance, and if the weather aint A1, can be a bloody handful for most smaller tinnys (or even bigger ones at times #???)

Next week is some big tides, so lure fishing the snags will be difficult, or even bait fishing in the creeks for that matter. Pelagics in the more open water would be a better target. some good options, reasonably close would be around Gould Is, or possibly cape richards. Even going "around"
    to Eva Island can be a challenge in all but perfect conditions.

On the Eastern end of Gould is a small channel that breaks the northern most tip off the island. Lots of bommies & submerged rocks. This can get shallow at low tide. When the tide is running hard thru here, some queeenies or trevally may be hanging around. Poppers or metal slices are the go.

On the eastern most tip of the island is a large rock, just under the surface (from memory it's about 50 to 100 m off the tip). You'll pick it as the current will be swirling around it. (watch it at low tide though).

For bottom fishing, the northern side of the island is reasonably shallow, lots of rocky headlands etc in close. The southern side (facing Hinch Is), has the deeper water out the eastern end, theere is a distinct drop off, running parralel with the island about 50m from the shore. (from about 5 to 6 m to 10 to 12m). It's also good area for trolling deep divers close to this ledge. trevally etc & the odd fingermark.

I'll add some more when I think of 'em. Bit stuffed at the moment #

# # # # #

Barrymundi

Dicko,

Gaz and I fished Haughton Saturday landed 11 out of 30 Barra

there seems to be heaps of open spots what about if it is dare I say it blowing hard any good safe spots?

In the channel id say krazy. dicko said the northern end was still fairley clean even with the rain. Very protected in the channel ive heard. On wednesday when we get the 3 day forecast, i will get people to decide whether they want to still do it this weekend or save it for better weather.
    Tim

Tim
    I will be up there with my boat no matter what so unless it 35kns I will be fishing some where

Im thinking it will be good eh, forecast says 10-15 kn for thursday so far, slowly getting better. By the weekend it will be 5 knot winds occasionally dropping to zero knots.

SNELLY

My plan at this stage is if the weather is good on Saturday to head for Kennedy Shoal - 30mile each way- so if anyone wants to tag along

Otter is only about another 5 mile further

Krazy what donk you got on your long boat ?

If it is blowing then I intend to lure fish the channel

Like Tim said we should get a feel what what the outlook is on Wednesday - Provided we don't get too much more rain the Barra's could be well and truly on the job

SNELLY