Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: mooloolaba longliners

mooloolaba longliners

yesterday i was having a chat to a bloke who works on one of the longliners here. he was telling me that each boat needs to have 5-6 thousand livies (yakkas and slimeys) in the tank before they go out to sea. With this info i went to count the number of longline boats in the harbour...41. Over 200 thousand live baits taken from our waters each time all boats head out!!

can any one confirm this?

any wonder we struggle to find bait in close any more!

cheers.
    jeff

Ausfish Addict

Re: mooloolaba longliners

I can find out for sure, my niece husband use to work on one of the boats out of there, give me a day or two for a reply cheers
    Joe.

Jeffo
    Thats stunning! How the hell can that be sustainable ???
    And thats only one port?

Tony ???

Mooloolaba was famous for sailfish and marlin, the results from the comps this year have been very depressing, interestingly sailfish have been an increasingly common catch further south where the bait has yet to be pillaged, its not just the pros who are to blame, each amateur loading up on livies contributes to the problem.

Mackmauler
    If we added the whole lot, pros and recs along the east coast,
    I shudder to think of what the figures would be

Tony

The longliners catch their own bait out wide using nets.

This is not a rumour !

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

phil.. they catch the bait mostly near old woman island! no more than 2 miles off the beach!
    rob...not saying they amatures are not to blame but i have NEVER heard of any one taking more than say 20 livies for bait... even on the big game boats!

Do they mostly take yakka's and slimey's or other bait fish as well?

That is a pretty large amount of baitfish to get taken out of the ocean each time they go out. I am amazed really, and shocked. It would be impossible to police the amount of bait they take however, wouldn't it? Surely they don't catch one fish for each live bait they have!? [smiley=speechless.gif]

hutcho

i think this is one of the main problems with longliners.. people dont know what goes on and if they did they would be (and are) shocked! im i correct in saying that they are all under federal laws?

Hutcho
    If they need to have livies, and are netting them there must be a huge percentage of dead ones for everyone that makes it into the livebait tank!
    I wonder what happens to the waste? ???
    Tony

i will have to try to catch up with the bloke again to try and get some more info... and wait to see what joe finds out.

I agree Tony. There would be a hell of a lot of dead fish in their bait wells....(must be the size of a spa bath!??)
    If they are so "good" at catching them to start with, and obviously have no problems catching them, perhaps they only way to regulate the size of their catch is to limit the size of their live bait wells. One they run out, they can go and net some more. Maybe that is a bit rough.

Baitfish must breed in their millions...?

Ausfish Addict

i know this much for a fact all the baits are cut, i have a hook from one of the boats, and u would not use it on a livie, if i can find it will scan it for u. have sent n email and a sms. sit tight guys. because this guy worked for raptis and being a kiwi was never short of a job on a liner
    cheers
    Joe

Jaybee
    Cut baits would be a lot less wastfull, and a better way to go for sure.

Tony

Ausfish Addict

okay guys i need to retract a statement, just been on the phone with my brother, here we go, keith didnt work for raptis, he worked on a company boat, this is from my brother, raptis boats are only prawners. Don't know the name of the company though but it is coming. 2nd. i have lost the hook, had n idea to do key rings with them. however a photo or scan is being organised as u have to see these stainless steel suckers to beleive em, there is no way u can use them on a livie. Probably a good 1/4 inch thick. ??? about the size of a shortened mustad 6/0. 3rd, all the boats keith worked out off at mooloolaba and as far south as sydney use frozen california squid, (arrow squid). 4th. one boat he worked on out of sydney actually had all the crew (9) 150 foot boat, jigging livies for cut bait to go along with the frozen squid, but it wasnt in the thousands. this was actually done right in botany bay. So the best i can do until i get a photo of the hook and hear from keith is all the boats up in QLD use frozen cut baits. hope this helps.
    cheers
    Joe.