Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mooloolaba longliners

Re: mooloolaba longliners

Joe
    That sounds like a more sensible way to go for guys who go thru that much bait. thanks for the info!

Tony

back in the 80s they used to use sauries or similar, hooked through the head on the circle style hook. live or dead on a hook is of little importance, take away the bait and the fish wont be there. nothing sensible about longliners, the world over they have been linked to decimating our fisheries >

Ausfish Addict

np agnes, this guy has nothing to lose by telling the truth he gave the boats up around 3 months ago and is happy land based employed and they are still chasing him to come back. I don't like long lining never did never will, as he can tell u some stories about that, but its all about being informed. when i get more info will post. Keith eventually got sick of steaming out up to 900 miles in boats 100 ft long, constantly being wet cold and bruised and sleepless, and that was on a good 3 weeks in summer. Some of his stories, n this guy is early 30s will turn ya hair grey. The lure of the money has lost its appeal to him though.
    cheers
    Joe.

I've asked around and found out the following about the Sunnie Coast Longliner fleet.

. They fish a long way offshore (half way to Kato and further)
    . Federal Gov't jurisdiction
    . 'Qld Boating and Fisheries Patrol' monitor and board vessels for compliance
    . Catch huge amounts of Broadbill

I'm still sifting around for any other info,

Cheers
    Craigie.

Ausfish Addict

rob
    hook is close but they dont use them these days, more of an open hook, in fact i use to tell ppl it was a large whiting hook. lol that will give u some idea of the shape, however the thickness is still there with a stainles ring in the eye. Like you say though take away the bait, ??? a lot of the guys on the boat earn cash in hand for shark fin, the Asians, are quick on the dock with cash for, however, having said that this practice has suppose to be stopped, then there is the fish that isnt marketable, like Moon fish, large bat fish and the list goes on, as they are after big tuna, marlin, broadbill etc oh and the odd dolphin or two, (porpoise) BTW, keith has been out to sea 900 odd mile for up to a month for $600 pay, but when its good, around $1500 a week for crew x a month. hard work though, no sleep, always wet and cold, take turns at cooking, fishing, steering the vessel, chipping, painting, and always wet, up or below decks, and the bruises this guy sustains you wouldn't beleive. stuff it i say no fish or job is worth that.
    cheers
    Joe.

A coupel of years back, I met a guy that worked on Longliners, he told me a story about the day he got hooked through the shoulder while the line was being baited and laid out. He was instantainiously taken over the side and spent 45 min in the water still hooked up
    Very lucky boy to still be alive.

Craig.

locals @ south west rocks were complaining @ couple of years
    ago about coffs harbour longliners flogging the local baitgrounds don't know if its still happening but they were incensed about it cheers brian

craigie- long lines have been seen in VERY close!! closer than the barwon banks!
    if they use the yakkas and that for cut baits why do they keep them alive when they have deep freezers??

Hi all
    These vessels all have observers from my under standing
    This is a brief over view of
    SEIFUKU MARU No .68
    Date fished 8 oct to 6 nov 1994
    Area G 44'21's 146'28 'e
    Observer on this vessel was from dept of primary and fisheries hobart
    93863 hooks set
    68959 observed
    1841 fish observed 417 biologigal samples taken
    Bait
    40 cartons squid 36/40 piese per carton
    24 cartons of slimey mackery 40 pieces p/c
    22 cartons of blue mackeral 50 p p/c
    baits placed on hooks in a semi frozen state
    catch rate was 165.28 kg per 1000 hooks
    list of species observed
    albacore-- 5
    butterfly mackeral-- 156
    northern bluefin-- 1
    southern bluefin --247

DISCARDS
    slender tuna 11
    blue whaler shark 233
    porbeagle shark 28
    velvet dogfish 24
    barracouta 2
    blue grenadier 1
    long fin bream 16
    rays bream 1319
    rudder fish 7
    short nose lancetfish 8
    sunfish1
    seabirds 49
    unknown 261
    These are only what was observed and written in to the draft report that i have
    The full report is very detailed and 20 odd pages long
    hope this helps some one
    I have about 10 of these draft support and they are what the federal Gov see
    cheers
    blaze

Ausfish Addict

blaze you just about said what i said before but am still waiting for an email to confirm it.rumours, start ppl jump to conclusions and make assumptions. I have seen long liners in close as well, Off bribie and moreton. but they were laid up due to weather and 700 mile from theirhome port. what else have they got to do if they cant work 70 knot winds 600 mile plus to sea, and it would be one time the crew could relax NOT, cause i can bet your bottom dollar they are painting and scraping and not fishing in the shallos.. maybe u should cut them slack jeffo.
    cheers
    joe

Hi Joe
    Took me half a bloody hour to type that lot, I dont like longliners either, look at the discards etc. but in all the reports i have they are using frozen bait. (still comes outa the sea though. I think it will never be stopped because of the fish hungry nations I THINK THAT WE SHOULD HAVE A 500 TO 1000 KM EXCLUSION ZONE AND PATROLED BY SEA AND AIR AND THE PEOPLE CAUGHT WITHIN THE ZONE BE IMEDILY REMOVED FROM OFFENDING VESSELS AND THE VESSEL SCUTTLED THERE AND THEN
    Cheers
    blaze

Wow with a catch rate of 165kg/1000 hooks & 93863 hooks let out..

That equals over 15 tonne of fish caught in that journey...and thats not including the dead discarded ones they chucked overboard..
    Now thats a lot of fish....

I had no idea how they worked the longliners till I watched "The Perfect Storm" ... Its a sad affair really..

Similarly I have been offshore and seen kilometres of dead undersize fish following behind the trawlers coming in...Now which is worse?

Ausfish Addict

Hey Adam, guess you could say its like the governments, each is as bad as the other eh. but then don't forget the fish that die from the amatuers, specially those not in the know with hook removal and handling of fish.
    cheers
    joe.

Blaze,
    The vessels you are talking about are quite different to those that Jeffo mentioned .That data is from a Japanese longliner which is a lot larger the Australian based vessels. You are correct that all the foreign longliners were required to have an Australian observer, but the Australian vessels aren't required to carry one. I believe that the agreement has now ended and no foreign vessels can longline within Australian waters.

Jeffo
    I've supsected the same! On the last few trips out of Mooloolaba a couple of the long liners have had big livewells ??? on the back deck with large amounts of water flowing through them. One I had a close look at had 2 x 100mm stormwater pipes flowing wastewater out of these tanks and over the side. A few years ago one of blokes I worked with watched them purse seine slimies out on the 18 mile where we were catching sails.

SNELLY

So is there any connection between the so called "experemential" pilchard netting in that area a few years ago and what these blokes are doing now ?